• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How are the situation for Gypsies in North America

Tammuz

Basic Beliefs
Skepticism
In Sweden bigotry against various ethnic groups is generally taboo. There is one exception though: Gypsies.

Some cases I know of (that made it to the news) are:

- How a chain that rents cars to people refused to rent to Gypsies.

- A manager (at some level, don't remember exactly which one) of a convenience store chain sent a an e-mail to all employees warning that Gypsies might visit the stores and that the employees should be on their guard, or something.

- A restaurant that refused to serve a Gypsy woman.

It is not institutional bigotry, but it is popularly widespread, and it is socially accepted in a way that bigotry against other groups are not. And in much of Europe, especially eastern Europe, the situation for Gypsies is much worse. So I'm curious, how are the situation for Gypsies in North America?

In Sweden bigotry against various ethnic groups is generally taboo. There is one exception though: Gypsies.

- A manager (at some level, don't remember exactly which one) of a convenience store chain sent a an e-mail to all employees warning that Gypsies might visit the stores and that the employees should be on their guard, or something.

It is not institutional bigotry, but it is popularly widespread, and it is socially accepted in a way that bigotry against other groups are not. And in much of Europe, especially eastern Europe, the situation for Gypsies is much worse. So I'm curious, how are the situation for Gypsies in North America?

This is too vague to give a full comment. The email link mentions the name of a Pressbyrån convenience stores but gives no reference to warning about Gypsies.

There is no link mentioning which restaurant refused to serve Gypsies? What were the reasons given?

I have never encountered a single gypsy or news story of gypsies in America in over 50 years.

I have never encountered a single gypsy or news story of gypsies in America in over 50 years.

I agree with Rhea. The institutional bias against gypsies by the American news media is a national disgrace.

I agree with Rhea. The institutional bias against gypsies by the American news media is a national disgrace.

Didn't you hear? Obama put them all in FEMA camps and quietly made them all disappear. That's why Rhea hasn't encountered any of them. Alex Jones told me, so it must be true.

I found this for you... well for anyone who does not know much about the situation of Gypsies in Northern America :

http://www.voanews.com/content/for-roma-life-in-us-has-challenges-119394819/163156.html

Thanks to that article, I know a tad bit more now than the nothing I had before. Enjoy!

There is quite a large Gypsy(Romani) community in the US. I have met a few. The word gypsy is part of the American lexicon and is seldom connected to the Roma. Overall, the word Gypsy has positive connotations, such as having a free spirit or artistic nature.

The Roma I know are construction workers and they move to where ever there is work. Many of them are contractors who specialize in things like siding or roofing. A few years ago, there was a small protest when someone at a TV network used the term "gyped"(swindled) on the air. It was pointed out this is an ethic slur against Roma people. Most Americans do not realize the connection between Gypsy, the people, and gyp, a fraud or misrepresentation.

There are plenty of criminal gangs which roam the country, committing credit card fraud, passing bad checks and shoplifting, for a living. They seldom are from an identifiable ethic group, but it's not unusual for them to be an extended family.

There are plenty of criminal gangs which roam the country, committing credit card fraud, passing bad checks and shoplifting, for a living. They seldom are from an identifiable ethic group, but it's not unusual for them to be an extended family.
We call them "Rural Iowans" or "Methheads"

There is a loose knit network of merchants in my city, who make calls to one another when a gang is spotted. They work like a football team, but lack originality. One group tries to distract the sales staff while the others slip out the door with the loot. One of their favorite tactics is to bring small children with them and let them wander the store. Since every item of our merchandise is unique, it's easy to spot a person who is asking questions which don't really fit the situation.

There is a loose knit network of merchants in my city, who make calls to one another when a gang is spotted. They work like a football team, but lack originality. One group tries to distract the sales staff while the others slip out the door with the loot. One of their favorite tactics is to bring small children with them and let them wander the store. Since every item of our merchandise is unique, it's easy to spot a person who is asking questions which don't really fit the situation.

On several occasions in the past two years gypsy gangs have tried to pickpocket me.
1. A person stands in front of you as you enter a train. 2 others brush past and try to lift a wallet. On another occasions a two women, one with a baby stopped in front of me. The others quickly came behind me but I caught them in the attempt.
I had one attempt at a violent mugging, but I carry a steel self-defence umbrella and chased them off.
Milan Central Station is one of the places. Never carry a wallet in your jacket and use 4 wheeler luggage that you push,
Kids will follow someone pulling luggage.

http://www.voanews.com/content/for-roma-life-in-us-has-challenges-119394819/163156.html

Thanks to that article, I know a tad bit more now than the nothing I had before. Enjoy!

Very interesting, thanks, I've learned a lot that I didn't know about either.

I had been answering the OP question in the context asked whether bigotry existed against Roma in the Americas. My experience is to not have ever noticed any because no Roma person has ever identified themselves as such near me, nor has any bigoted person ever confided or bigotated around me (that can be a verb, right?) People certainly have done so about women, people who are black and people who are hispanic, but no one has ever dissed Roma near me. None of the places I've lived have had casual or transient labor, so it is unlikely to have been visible if the frequent moving mentioned in the article is a real factor.

I've heard from friends who live in areas that have more casual labor, like street corner day-laborers about the process, and I've traveled a LOT in the USA, but none of them has mentioned Roma, either.

So it's in pockets with gaps in between at any rate.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have been to a mall you may have seen them running the kiosks.

Near me, they are Israelis. We only have one mall, with only 2 kiosks, so it's not a large sample size...

Here in the US I have not associated the seldom used term gypsy with a particular ethnic group but a person who chooses to live on the road taking odd jobs when the need arises. You might find them overnighting in Walmart parking lots as many Walmart stores allow this good neighbor practice. Can I get a hoorah Walmart? No? Well, the jackbooted thugs can't harass them when they are there. I'd venture to guess they are no more honest or dishonest than the rest of us.

On several occasions in the past two years gypsy gangs have tried to pickpocket me.
1. A person stands in front of you as you enter a train. 2 others brush past and try to lift a wallet. On another occasions a two women, one with a baby stopped in front of me. The others quickly came behind me but I caught them in the attempt.
I had one attempt at a violent mugging, but I carry a steel self-defence umbrella and chased them off.
Milan Central Station is one of the places. Never carry a wallet in your jacket and use 4 wheeler luggage that you push,
Kids will follow someone pulling luggage.
The Romi population (Italians refer to Gypsies as "Romi" regardless of their provenance) is quite substantial in Southern Italy. Napoli or the region of Campania hosts several camps of Gypsies who settle there for extended periods of time. The majority of house break ins are conducted by organized "Romi" gangs. They are very thorough in their planning. When we were stationed in Naples, we were briefed on how to protect our homes from invasion. One of the ways those gangs target a home is by their leaving markings on the sidewalk, using symbols signifying "home with an alarm system" or "guard dogs outdoor or indoor" etc.. They exercise surveillance on a particular neighborhood to then select which homes are most vulnerable. US and NATO military personnel homes being their favorite targets.

Their surveillance is so effective to the point that the one night I had secured our 3 dogs in the basement (one of my neighbors had been complaining my dogs were barking too much outside, that evening), our home was broken in while we were asleep. My dogs had been barking because they sensed/detected human presences behind the wall of our front yard! None of us woke up while there were at least 3 intruders in our home who went through our bedrooms too! The Carabinieri found a child hand print on the small window in our kitchen, indicating that they used a small child to enter via that very small window to then unlock ,for the 2 adults, the French doors facing our backyard. The Carbs noted that it was a typical signature from the Romi gangs notorious for using/exploiting little children.

The local "Romi" were also street beggars, relying on the emotional appeal caused by the sight of women carrying infants or toddlers or begging children themselves. I never gave money but always carried non perishable food in my car.

We were also advised to never let our children unattended in our neighborhood streets. The suspicion being that blond and blue eyed children were prized for kidnapping.

Essentially, anyone having the appearance of "Romi" or "zingari" in Campania automatically raised the suspicion of being a criminal.

The busy pedestrian street of la Rue Meynadier in Cannes, my hometown, is notorious for the presence of "Gitanes" (female Gypsies) who specialize in pickpocket ting. Often with a young child or an infant. As locals, we tend to become leery at the sight or presence of a Gitane in a crowd or a store.

However the "leery" response is absent when attending the Festival of Saintes Maries De La Mer which draws thousands of Gypsies from all over Europe to celebrate their Saint, Sara. It becomes a cultural attraction which boosts tourism in the region. I attended one many years ago and at a time the sublime Gypsy musician and guitarist Manitas De Plata was performing. Quelle ambiance! It was super.

Very interesting, thanks, I've learned a lot that I didn't know about either.

I had been answering the OP question in the context asked whether bigotry existed against Roma in the Americas. My experience is to not have ever noticed any because no Roma person has ever identified themselves as such near me, nor has any bigoted person ever confided or bigotated around me (that can be a verb, right?) People certainly have done so about women, people who are black and people who are hispanic, but no one has ever dissed Roma near me. None of the places I've lived have had casual or transient labor, so it is unlikely to have been visible if the frequent moving mentioned in the article is a real factor.

This has been my experience as well. My guess is that the majority of Americans have never heard of or thought about the Roma ethnic group. Like you, I don't recall ever seeing a news story on them either. The article posted by Sabine is the first I've seen discussing the Roma population in the US. When people think of gypsy, they probably think of a woman wearing a certain style of dress like this living a certain kind of lifestyle, not knowing it is associated with an ethnic group:

15723B-Bohemian-Babe-or-Gypsy-Costume-large.jpg

The only Americans that seem to form stereotypes about them is those who have either been victims of crimes or whose neighborhood has such crimes being committed by those of Roma ethnicity (there seem to be a few crime families and their modus operandi seems to be targeting ordinary people, as opposed to Mafia families which tend to commit crimes more-so behind the scenes)

The only Americans that seem to form stereotypes about them is those who have either been victims of crimes or whose neighborhood has such crimes being committed by those of Roma ethnicity (there seem to be a few crime families and their modus operandi seems to be targeting ordinary people, as opposed to Mafia families which tend to commit crimes more-so behind the scenes)

The problem is a far greater percentage of that culture is criminal than the average of the societies they are in.

The problem is a far greater percentage of that culture is criminal than the average of the societies they are in.
Certainly not in Southern Italy, Loren. The Camorra remains the dominant organized crime in Napoli/Campania, even corrupting law enforcement, politicians and the judiciary. Same with the Ndrangheta in Calabria. Cosa Nostra in Sicilia. Those "Romi" gangs sort of eat the crumbs thrown at them by those extremely influential organizations.

Certainly not in Southern Italy, Loren. The Camorra remains the dominant organized crime in Napoli/Campania, even corrupting law enforcement, politicians and the judiciary. Same with the Ndrangheta in Calabria. Cosa Nostra in Sicilia. Those "Romi" gangs sort of eat the crumbs thrown at them by those extremely influential organizations.

That's not a rebuttal.

That's not a rebuttal.

You stated :

. Speaking of societies, I brought up the undeniable reality of the criminal mentality as well as corruption which plagues a regional area like Campania. It extends to how people will conduct business, how they screw each other at every given opportunity. The reality is that such local culture FESTERS a greater percentage of criminal activities. Campania is the society where "they(Romi) are in". A society with a cultural mentality which thrives on crime and corruption. Gypsies are a speck in the midst of such corrupted and criminally inclined society.

Now, tell me why you still need to believe that "the problem is a far greater percentage of that culture is criminal than the average of the societies they are in"?

Back
Top Bottom