• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How delusional are they???

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

I can't imagine how they thought they could get away with taking down a newspaper to try to hide derogatory information.

Yeah, it probably was being done to hurt her--but the newspaper was simply reporting the truth even if the motives of whoever tipped them off might be evil.

I can't imagine how they thought they could get away with taking down a newspaper to try to hide derogatory information.

Yeah, it probably was being done to hurt her--but the newspaper was simply reporting the truth even if the motives of whoever tipped them off might be evil.
Sounds like grounds for a massive suit.
Sounds like …

Scary stuff! Newell obviously has ties with local law enforcement and was able to pull strings. Knowledge of someone's DUI charges and revocation of a driver's license doesn't sound like identity theft to me, though. Here in NC it's public knowledge. Hell, we have a paper in my county called the "xxx county Busted Paper", showing mugshots and charges of local inmates recently arrested. It comes out every two days and I frequently see old acquaintances, former schoolmates and the occasional distant relative in there! :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the kind of shit I grew up with in a small town. Local paper knew whose secrets to keep.

Sounds like grounds for a massive suit.
Sounds like …
It gets worse.

She died. Felony manslaughter? I doubt they could make that stick, but by preponderance of the evidence I would think a jury would consider it likely triggered by the stress of the raid.

Kansas newspaper says it investigated local police chief prior to newsroom raid

The small-town Kansas newspaper raided by police officers on Friday had been looking into allegations of misconduct against the local chief just months ago, according to the paper's publisher, raising further concerns about the law enforcement officers' motives.

The Marion, Kansas police department confiscated computers, cell phones and a range of other reporting materials from the office of the Marion County Record — the sole local paper in a small city of about 2,000 residents. Officers spent hours in the newsroom. It also seized material from one of its journalist's homes. Eric Meyer, the publisher and co-owner of the newspaper, said his 98-year-old mother passed away the day after police raided her house, where Meyer was staying at the time. He said he believes the stress from the raid contributed to her death.
Cody was sworn in as Marion's police chief on June 1 after retiring from the Kansas City Police Department in late April, according to the department's employee retirement website.

"It was alarming, to say the least, the number of people who came forward, and some of the allegations they made were fairly serious," Meyer said. "We were simply looking into the question."

The police chief was aware the paper was looking into his background. Meyer said a Record reporter approached Cody seeking comment on the allegations. In response, Meyer said Cody threatened to sue the paper.

This arises from undue reverence for the police, reminiscent of Trump's claim that he could shoot someone and not lose voters. The U.S. Constitution emphasizes checks and balances for good reason. I'm puzzled as to why some individuals, including law enforcement, don't welcome the same safeguards. I mean, they're patriots right?

Local governments seem to be learning well from our deeply corrupted federal government, for example, how they treat journalists such as Assange or Matt Tabbi. The fish rots from the head.

Sadly the average citizen does not want real journalism either since we prefer entertainment over the truth anyway.

Last edited:
Following his raid of a local newspaper, Marion, Kansas, Police Chief Gideon Cody said, “I believe when the rest of the story is available to the public, the judicial system that is being questioned will be vindicated.” Days later, County Attorney Joel Ensey has withdrawn the search warrant Cody used to storm the offices of the Marion County Record and its publisher’s home.

The county attorney’s statement is … interesting:
On Monday, August 14, 2023, I reviewed in detail the warrant application made Friday, August 11, 2023 to search various locations in Marion County, including the office of the Marion County Record. The affidavits, which I am asking the court to release, established probable cause to believe that an employee of the newspaper may have committed the crime of K.S.A. 21-5839, Unlawful Acts Concerning Computers. Upon further review, however, I have come to the conclusion that insufficient evidence exists to establish a legally sufficient nexus between this alleged crime and the places searched and the items seized.

Kansas asks judge who approved Marion newspaper raid to respond to misconduct complaint

A Kansas commission tasked with investigating judicial misconduct wants the judge who signed off on an extraordinary search of a newspaper to explain herself.

Magistrate Judge Laura Viar authorized a search of the Marion County Record in August. The search, led by Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody, has sparked international condemnation as an attack on press freedom. One of the paper’s reporters has filed a federal lawsuit against Cody.

The search warrant approved by Viar allowed officers to seize computers and other electronics from the newspaper as part of an investigation into the alleged identity theft of a local restaurant owner. Viar also approved warrants to search the home of publisher Eric Meyer, whose 98-year-old mother, Joan Meyer, was home at the time of the raid and died the next day; and the home of Marion councilwoman Ruth Herbel.

Police officers who raided a small Kansas newspaper's offices last month didn't follow the requirements of the search warrant to only seize computers that had been directly involved in suspected identity theft, according to the newspaper's lawyer.

Authorities released data to the newspaper last week showing police spent 1 hour and 20 minutes fruitlessly searching one computer for signs it was used to look up the driving record of a local restaurant owner and the status of her driver's license on the Kansas Department of Revenue's site. No evidence was found. But the Marion County Record 's attorney Bernie Rhodes said Tuesday that police seized that computer and then took all the other computers in the newsroom along with two reporters' cell phones without checking to see if any of those devices were involved.

“So it’s a complete and total sham, which is, in my view, simply more evidence that this so-called search was just a pretense to intimidate the newspaper,” Rhodes said.

Back
Top Bottom