• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do people turn fat almost overnight?

I hear that one of the causes may be one of the adenoviruses. I also have read a news story about a chubby mother who gave a fecal transplant to her very sick and slim daughter for the purpose of regaining good flora. The daughter put on a massive amount of fat shortly afterwards.

I saw one female singer who at 18 years of age and 148 cm packed on maybe 12 kilos in a few months.

Does anyone know much about this topic? I think that the static calories in/calories out model needs to be revised. Hormones and signaling must be affected somehow.

What can be done to reverse some this sudden onset obesity or fat deposition? Not talking about middle age spread...
I gained 40 pounds in two years in my early thirties after I moved: because of less exercise. I no longer had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get to my new apartment (unlike the old apartment), and my main hub of public transit (I don't have a car) was 2 long blocks closer--less walking required.

I hear that one of the causes may be one of the adenoviruses. I also have read a news story about a chubby mother who gave a fecal transplant to her very sick and slim daughter for the purpose of regaining good flora. The daughter put on a massive amount of fat shortly afterwards.

I saw one female singer who at 18 years of age and 148 cm packed on maybe 12 kilos in a few months.

Does anyone know much about this topic? I think that the static calories in/calories out model needs to be revised. Hormones and signaling must be affected somehow.

What can be done to reverse some this sudden onset obesity or fat deposition? Not talking about middle age spread...
I gained 40 pounds in two years in my early thirties after I moved: because of less exercise. I no longer had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get to my new apartment (unlike the old apartment), and my main hub of public transit (I don't have a car) was 2 long blocks closer--less walking required.

My dietitian has said one of the important things you can do is increase your incidental exercise such as park your car as par away as possible instead of as close as possible and leave your laundry basket in the laundry and walk each item out to the line. It's amazing how many more steps you can do in a day that way. :)

I know from personal experience that

I can lose 4 lbs in one month with strict diet and 5 times a week 1 hour combination aerobic and weight training exercise.

I can gain 3 lbs in one weekend eating a half gallon of ice cream.

Calories in > calories out over time.

A lot of calories in > calories out over time = getting fat faster.

Is this even a question? Yes, there are conditions that may contribute, but by and large, it is that simple.

Do the math for 500 calories a day assuming roughly 3500kcal = one pound of fat. That would be one pound per week, and over six months is more than 12 kilos. And 500 calories can come in a very small package.

I must disagree. It's calories absorbed, not calories in. Gut microbes have the ability to change the absorption rate. I think we are only scratching the surface on understanding of gut flora.

Yeah, it's only as simple as "in" versus "out, because those are such vague terms that entails tons of nuanced factors that vary largely independent of each other, and of which what you put in your mouth, and how much exercise you do are only a fraction of the factors.

Not only is "in" calorie absorption (impacted by may factors), but "out" means energy consumed by every biological process that occurs every moment, including resting states and even sleep. Those processes change within individuals over time, in part from factors totally independent of any changes in deliberate "calorie burning" actions by the person.

Back
Top Bottom