• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do you identify a person's morality?

There are some people who truly believe they are in the group of all human beings, but on a practical level, it's not very realistic.
Do you truly believe that you are in the group of all human beings? If you answer with a "no", or if you answer with a "yes," then I will understand (understand, as in comprehend) your answer, but if you go farther and attempt to explain your answer, then I will be thoroughly confused and will probably have to resort to thread-rage and start typing as if my hair is on fire. Please don't confuse me, as I really don't need my hair singed. I don't think I spelled that word right.

You might want to read this post in the shower. The group of all people on Earth is the largest possible group, and I am a member. There is no particular group of people on the planet which I think the moral code of behavior allows me to kill or steal their stuff, without violating the code. There are people who don't consider themselves to be in the world wide group, and see other groups as fair game for murder and theft.

My point still holds.

Just as your point would have held if I had asked how to make a cheese burger and you had responded by explaining how Paris came to be the capitol of France.

If a person is amoral, it's because they are not considering the consequences of their decisions, or else they don't care about the consequences of their decisions. It's still about the decisions, not the person.
If a person is not considering the consequences of their decisions, or if they do not care about the consequences of their decisions, these are facts about the person.

Do you truly believe that you are in the group of all human beings? If you answer with a "no", or if you answer with a "yes," then I will understand (understand, as in comprehend) your answer, but if you go farther and attempt to explain your answer, then I will be thoroughly confused and will probably have to resort to thread-rage and start typing as if my hair is on fire. Please don't confuse me, as I really don't need my hair singed. I don't think I spelled that word right.

You might want to read this post in the shower. The group of all people on Earth is the largest possible group, and I am a member. There is no particular group of people on the planet which I think the moral code of behavior allows me to kill or steal their stuff, without violating the code. There are people who don't consider themselves to be in the world wide group, and see other groups as fair game for murder and theft.

So, you think the group of all human beings is a larger group than the group of all vertebrates, and you think the group of all human beings is a larger group than the group of all mammals. I base this on your explanation...that would be the part where you tried to explain your answer. Fortunately, I was mistaken, as it seems I was able to interpret your reply/response lacking a direct answer and do some mental gymnastics (and a couple physical backflips) and surmise a few loose ends, allowing me to figure out that your answer is yes despite the previous indication.

In the shower...that was funny. And no thread-rage here. This worked out well.

So, you think the group of all human beings is a larger group than the group of all vertebrates, and you think the group of all human beings is a larger group than the group of all mammals. I base this on your explanation...that would be the part where you tried to explain your answer. Fortunately, I was mistaken, as it seems I was able to interpret your reply/response lacking a direct answer and do some mental gymnastics (and a couple physical backflips) and surmise a few loose ends, allowing me to figure out that your answer is yes despite the previous indication.

Please do not mistake scenarios which are presented as examples for the purpose of argument for a reflection of reality.

For this discussion, a group includes only humans, some dogs, and a few cats. The cats shouldn't be there at all, but some people insist on including them.

Please do not mistake scenarios which are presented as examples for the purpose of argument for a reflection of reality.

For this discussion, a group includes only humans, some dogs, and a few cats. The cats shouldn't be there at all, but some people insist on including them.

There are 2 types of people in the world, those who divide people into groups, and those who don't. I belong to the former, because I cut people to peace.

there's a phrase in sanskrit that gandhi was fond of: ahimsa paramo dharma. it can mean 'nonviolence is the most important duty' but also 'peace is the final lesson'. for me, it means that if you've learned to live in peace, i accept that and don't question how you've come to it.

Back
Top Bottom