• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How is this possible?

ryan

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
a little of everything
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/sea-plankton-discovered-outside-space-station/

If this is true, then I seriously think that there must be an abundance of life throughout the universe and that aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community; I'm not even kidding.

Maybe they are treating us like pets in a zoo. They are actually protecting us from the truth, and god knows what else.

I have never heard of grindtv, but a quick flip through their site doesn't exactly paint a picture of journalistic excellence. It wouldn't surprise me if they just made the whole thing up. Let's assume for a moment that this story is accurate though; or accuratish. While it would be quite a find, it would not in fact indicate an abundance of life in the rest of the universe; since these results would just be the results of earth-based contamination: they would NOT be alien lifeforms floating through space until they'd hit the ISS, it'd be lifeforms that'd have come into contact with parts of the ISS surface while still on earth. Even more likely is that their sampling equipment rather than the ISS hull was contaminated. It would also be highly unlikely (but hardly earth-shattering if true) that the samples were of living organisms contrary to what the person writing the article might have inferred. Even if what the article says is 100% accurate though, this in no way tells us *anything* about the prevalence of life elsewhere in the universe.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/sea-plankton-discovered-outside-space-station/

If this is true, then I seriously think that there must be an abundance of life throughout the universe and that aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community; I'm not even kidding.

Maybe they are treating us like pets in a zoo. They are actually protecting us from the truth, and god knows what else.

I have never heard of grindtv, but a quick flip through their site doesn't exactly paint a picture of journalistic excellence. It wouldn't surprise me if they just made the whole thing up. Let's assume for a moment that this story is accurate though; or accuratish. While it would be quite a find, it would not in fact indicate an abundance of life in the rest of the universe; since these results would just be the results of earth-based contamination: they would NOT be alien lifeforms floating through space until they'd hit the ISS, it'd be lifeforms that'd have come into contact with parts of the ISS surface while still on earth. Even more likely is that their sampling equipment rather than the ISS hull was contaminated. It would also be highly unlikely (but hardly earth-shattering if true) that the samples were of living organisms contrary to what the person writing the article might have inferred. Even if what the article says is 100% accurate though, this in no way tells us *anything* about the prevalence of life elsewhere in the universe.

The only place I thought the plankton could have come from is the ISS, and maybe a very small chance it could have come from Earth naturally.

Where life can survive has very much to do with where life is and how it gets there. Here is one of many reasons why I believe that life in space has major implications to where else it might be, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130523113802.htm .

Here is a more credible source http://www.space.com/26888-sea-plan...eed:+spaceheadlines+(SPACE.com+Headline+Feed)

Cosmonauts on the orbiting outpost have allegedly discovered trace amounts of sea plankton and other microscopic organisms living on the outside of the station, exposed to the vacuum of space, according to a news story quoting space station official Vladimir Solovyov.

However, NASA has not confirmed the reports. "As far as we're concerned, we haven't heard any official reports from our Roscosmos colleagues that they've found sea plankton," NASA spokesman Dan Huot said. Roscosmos is Russia's Federal Space Agency. [5 Bold Claims of Alien Life]

Summary: Wait for further evidence.

Where life can survive has very much to do with where life is and how it gets there.

No, it doesn't. Just because you have an example of a microbe that can exist in conditions similar to those found elsewhere, does NOT mean they could evolve there; and even if they could potentially evolve there (or be transported there), this still doesn't tell us that it's likely; life doesn't just magically pop up in places just because those places could potentially harbor/evolve some form of life. 'Can' and 'Does' are two very different things.

Do you happen to know if the aliens are ever going to bring back Elvis' brain?

microbiological life has been brought to the ISS for expirimentation relating to the ability for these lifeforms to survive in the hostile environemnt of space. They can. So, having life of this nature on the ISS is not only not surprising.. we did this on purpose. Microbes were PLACED on the surface of the ISS by scientists. I am not reading this article... did they mention this little factoid.. or maybe they conveniantly just ignored that.

Where life can survive has very much to do with where life is and how it gets there.

No, it doesn't. Just because you have an example of a microbe that can exist in conditions similar to those found elsewhere, does NOT mean they could evolve there; and even if they could potentially evolve there (or be transported there), this still doesn't tell us that it's likely; life doesn't just magically pop up in places just because those places could potentially harbor/evolve some form of life. 'Can' and 'Does' are two very different things.
Let me explain what I mean. We are faced with exactly two options: either the originated on Earth or it didn't. Many scientists do not accept the former.

So, let's assume that life originated from somewhere else. If there really is plankton that can survive conditions in space, then this vastly increases the conditions where alien life could be, even if it is just a simple organism like plankton. Don't argue with me; argue with the astrobiologists who make these sorts of claims (Please go to the website that I linked in my last post to you.).

microbiological life has been brought to the ISS for expirimentation relating to the ability for these lifeforms to survive in the hostile environemnt of space. They can. So, having life of this nature on the ISS is not only not surprising.. we did this on purpose. Microbes were PLACED on the surface of the ISS by scientists. I am not reading this article... did they mention this little factoid.. or maybe they conveniantly just ignored that.

Apparently I was not clear in the OP. Please read my last two posts to dystopian for an explanation. And please visit, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130523113802.htm .

Do you happen to know if the aliens are ever going to bring back Elvis' brain?

Top marks for originality of an alien joke

Let me explain what I mean. We are faced with exactly two options: either the originated on Earth or it didn't. Many scientists do not accept the former.

Actually, ALL of them do. You will not find any scientist who would, under these circumstances, claim the life originated anywhere other than earth; because to do so would be batshit insane. Do you REALLY think it makes any sense for them to be able to study these claimed microbes to the point where they can reliably identify them as a type of surface sea plankton, but somehow miss the fact that it's *extraterrestrial* sea plankton? Just because some supposed scientists (we have no confirmation that this story is even remotely true) express confusion as to how the plankton got there, does NOT mean they think it's alien. That'd be like saying that if I went up to the ISS and then expressed confusion as to how the people who're already there got up, that'd mean I was saying they must be aliens.

So, let's assume that life originated from somewhere else.

Let's not, because there is exactly zero reason to do so.

Don't argue with me; argue with the astrobiologists who make these sorts of claims (Please go to the website that I linked in my last post to you.).

Unlike you, however, they don't make the claim that just because we've found microbes existing in extreme conditions on Earth that it therefore means we're *likely* to find life elsewhere in similar conditions. I will explain this *again*, because you seem to have missed it the first time:

Finding *Earth* life that can survive in harsh conditions similar to that of say Mars, IN NO SHAPE OR FORM tells us anything about the *likelihood* of life existing on Mars; to do that we'd need to study the ORIGINS of life, and have multiple independent genesis events/lines to study, at that, NOT the end result of billions of years of evolution. I'll say it again: Just because life on Earth evolved to occupy niches that are similar to those found elsewhere in the solar system, does not mean we are any more or less likely to find life occupying those places. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Saying that life COULD hypothetically exist in a place,

is NOT the same as saying that life is LIKELY to exist in that place.

Actually, ALL of them do. You will not find any scientist who would, under these circumstances, claim the life originated anywhere other than earth; because to do so would be batshit insane. Do you REALLY think it makes any sense for them to be able to study these claimed microbes to the point where they can reliably identify them as a type of surface sea plankton, but somehow miss the fact that it's *extraterrestrial* sea plankton? Just because some supposed scientists (we have no confirmation that this story is even remotely true) express confusion as to how the plankton got there, does NOT mean they think it's alien. That'd be like saying that if I went up to the ISS and then expressed confusion as to how the people who're already there got up, that'd mean I was saying they must be aliens.

Somehow the word "the" was put instead of "life" in the very first sentence of my last post to you. When I put "either <life> originated on Earth or it didn't", I meant for the whole universe, "life" in general.

And I tried to tell you in post #3 that I do not think the plankton came from anywhere but Earth.

Why is it that every time there is ambiguity in a post people always assume the less reasonable option and don't even ask for clarification - interesting but frustrating and time consuming? I would really appreciate an answer to this because many do this, and I don't know why.

Don't argue with me; argue with the astrobiologists who make these sorts of claims (Please go to the website that I linked in my last post to you.).

Unlike you, however, they don't make the claim that just because we've found microbes existing in extreme conditions on Earth that it therefore means we're *likely* to find life elsewhere in similar conditions. I will explain this *again*, because you seem to have missed it the first time:

Finding *Earth* life that can survive in harsh conditions similar to that of say Mars, IN NO SHAPE OR FORM tells us anything about the *likelihood* of life existing on Mars; to do that we'd need to study the ORIGINS of life, and have multiple independent genesis events/lines to study, at that, NOT the end result of billions of years of evolution. I'll say it again: Just because life on Earth evolved to occupy niches that are similar to those found elsewhere in the solar system, does not mean we are any more or less likely to find life occupying those places. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Saying that life COULD hypothetically exist in a place,

is NOT the same as saying that life is LIKELY to exist in that place.

I agree; where did I say "likely"? I said, "then this vastly increases the conditions where alien life could be".

Why is it that every time there is ambiguity in a post people always assume the less reasonable option and don't even ask for clarification - interesting but frustrating and time consuming? I would really appreciate an answer to this because many do this, and I don't know why.

Prior experience with the person.

Incidentally, it is NOT the case that "many scientists do not accept that life originated on Earth"; you're referring to the panspermia hypothesis, which while interesting, is entirely hypothetical and is NOT seriously put forward by anyone as being THE reason why life exists on Earth. The problem with the panspermia hypothesis is that it is *unneccessary*. Life would STILL evolve on a planet first, and would then be transported to other planets through impact events; this might explain things if we were ever to find a planet with life on it that never went through a period in its development where said life might arise, but that is not the case with Earth. Scientists only ever put forth the hypothesis as a potential means by which life might spread through the universe. If it's possible for this to happen, it's certainly not a very efficient way for life to spread and it's highly unlikely that one planet could seed even just one other planet with life this way, much less resulting in the entire universe teeming with life even when starting with billions of starting seed planets.

I agree; where did I say "likely"? I said, "then this vastly increases the conditions where alien life could be".

I don't know how else to interpret these words in your OP;

"If this is true, then I seriously think that there must be an abundance of life throughout the universe and that aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community; I'm not even kidding."

Actually no, if you were just saying it's 'more likely' that life exists elsewhere if the information in the story was accurate, that'd just be wrong but not outright crazy-illogical-leaps kind of 'logic'. But right there in the OP you're saying that if it is true then there MUST be an abundance of life throughout the universe and not only that, but the aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community. you're 'not even kidding'. The irony here is that if the plankton did *not* come from Earth, what you're saying would actually be a bit more likely (just a bit)

Prior experience with the person.

Incidentally, it is NOT the case that "many scientists do not accept that life originated on Earth"; you're referring to the panspermia hypothesis, which while interesting, is entirely hypothetical and is NOT seriously put forward by anyone as being THE reason why life exists on Earth. The problem with the panspermia hypothesis is that it is *unneccessary*. Life would STILL evolve on a planet first, and would then be transported to other planets through impact events; this might explain things if we were ever to find a planet with life on it that never went through a period in its development where said life might arise, but that is not the case with Earth. Scientists only ever put forth the hypothesis as a potential means by which life might spread through the universe. If it's possible for this to happen, it's certainly not a very efficient way for life to spread and it's highly unlikely that one planet could seed even just one other planet with life this way, much less resulting in the entire universe teeming with life even when starting with billions of starting seed planets.

You still don't understand what I meant.

Life either originated on Earth for the first time ever in the universe, or it didn't. Most scientists believe that life probably exists beyond Earth. And I am not saying that it came here from another place.

I don't know how else to interpret these words in your OP;

"If this is true, then I seriously think that there must be an abundance of life throughout the universe and that aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community; I'm not even kidding."

Actually no, if you were just saying it's 'more likely' that life exists elsewhere if the information in the story was accurate, that'd just be wrong but not outright crazy-illogical-leaps kind of 'logic'. But right there in the OP you're saying that if it is true then there MUST be an abundance of life throughout the universe and not only that, but the aliens are keeping us isolated from the rest of the galactic community. you're 'not even kidding'. The irony here is that if the plankton did *not* come from Earth, what you're saying would actually be a bit more likely (just a bit)
Notice you used "that place", and I used "universe"? To clarify, I did not use "universe" to mean "that place".

Life either originated on Earth for the first time ever in the universe, or it didn't.

... what the fuck relevance does that have to anything? Nobody ever mentioned anything about that, and whether or not the article's subject matter is correct has *nothing whatsoever* to do with whether or not earth is the first planet ever to evolve life or whether or not the universe is filled with alien assholes that are keeping us isolated. Finding plankton that can survive in space doesn't tell us anything about either scenario.

And I am not saying that it came here from another place.

Then what fucking relevance does mentioning it have? None.

Notice you used "that place", and I used "universe"? To clarify, I did not use "universe" to mean "that place".

Once again, there's no relevance. "That place" and "the universe" are interchangeable here. Finding life that originated on Earth that can survive in extreme conditions not only doesn't tell us *anything* about how likely it is for life to evolve in a *specific* place within the universe, it *also* doesn't tell us anything about how likely it is for life to evolve *anywhere* in the universe.

... what the fuck relevance does that have to anything? Nobody ever mentioned anything about that, and whether or not the article's subject matter is correct has *nothing whatsoever* to do with whether or not earth is the first planet ever to evolve life or whether or not the universe is filled with alien assholes that are keeping us isolated. Finding plankton that can survive in space doesn't tell us anything about either scenario.

And I am not saying that it came here from another place.

Then what fucking relevance does mentioning it have? None.

Once again, there's no relevance. "That place" and "the universe" are interchangeable here. Finding life that originated on Earth that can survive in extreme conditions not only doesn't tell us *anything* about how likely it is for life to evolve in a *specific* place within the universe, it *also* doesn't tell us anything about how likely it is for life to evolve *anywhere* in the universe.

You are so hell-bent on your way of thinking I would think it is impossible for you to see my point even if it is a good point. Just forget it.

The question of life in space is what will it eat?

It might be able to survive but how will it grow and multiply without a food source?

It might be able to survive but how will it grow and multiply without a food source?

That might actually be the least problematic issue with life in space. We know there are fungi and bacteria that survive by eating radiation; which is pretty plentiful in space. Presumably, any space-based lifeform would either do the same or survive through photosynthesis.

That might actually be the least problematic issue with life in space. We know there are fungi and bacteria that survive by eating radiation; which is pretty plentiful in space. Presumably, any space-based lifeform would either do the same or survive through photosynthesis.
Look at what I said. I said survival is possible, but growth and reproduction are the big problems. Without reproduction there is no evolution.

Back
Top Bottom