• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How the Sahara was made

Yes, Both Egypt and especially Middle East was pretty green not long ago.
In 15 thousands years ME will be nice place to live.

Climate scientists are starting to predict that the Middle East will soon be uninhabitable.

Well, you can always design a wearable AC unit powered by sun light or ..... oil, they have a lot of both of these things over there.

The Fremen's stillsuits were powered by the weight shift of the wearer's tread, if I remember correctly.

IIRC, historically when the climate has heated up the Sahara has become wetter and perhaps more amenable to life, rather than less. True?

Very interesting, thanks.

A bit cheezy sometimes...."Suddenly! A Libyan archeologist made a stunning discovery!"

IIRC, historically when the climate has heated up the Sahara has become wetter and perhaps more amenable to life, rather than less. True?
I don't think so. The Sahara was a lush green area during the period of the last glaciation when global temperatures were much lower. The Holocene inter-glacial warm period began about ten or eleven thousand years ago and the Sahara begin drying out. By about six or seven thousand years ago water in the Sahara would have been fairly scarce since the great Saharan lakes would have almost completely dried up or close to completely. By five or six thousand years ago, the Sahara would have been an arid expanse.... at least that is how I understand it.

Hmm. Maybe sahara is what echo in the stories of a paradise the we lost/was driven from.

I don't think so. The Sahara was a lush green area during the period of the last glaciation when global temperatures were much lower. The Holocene inter-glacial warm period began about ten or eleven thousand years ago and the Sahara begin drying out. By about six or seven thousand years ago water in the Sahara would have been fairly scarce since the great Saharan lakes would have almost completely dried up or close to completely. By five or six thousand years ago, the Sahara would have been an arid expanse.... at least that is how I understand it.
Well, Middle East was quite a bit better (then now) place during historical time. You don't think they were building all these cities, archaeologists are digging out, among barren desert, do you?

Currently Northern hemisphere gets less solar radiation than Southern and Sahara is a desert. But when it was opposite in the past - more solar radiation and more wet.

Back
Top Bottom