• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How We Got Exspensive College Tuition And Massive Student Debt

Weeding out the commisars could save a lot of money and make college more affordable. But, priorities.

Bureaucrats outnumber faculty 2:1 at public universities and 2.5:1 at private colleges, double the ratio in the 1970s. Diversity is the top justification for these hires, says Richard Vedder of the Centre for College Affordability and Productivity, a think-tank. Of more than 1,000 bureaucrats at Ohio University in Athens, 400 are superfluous, he reckons. If let go, tuition fees could be cut by a fifth.
Anything to distract from the real cause: Public funding is way down. Look at Laughing Dog's sanity check on these numbers.

And note that "think tank" generally means a group paid to push a particular opinion.

Anything to distract from the real cause: Public funding is way down. Look at Laughing Dog's sanity check on these numbers.
If public funding is way down, how can these colleges and universities find all this money to pay for these diversicrats? It's a miracle.

Russia is run by Putin's oligarch friends and kleptocrats. Is that working out for Russia? There is enough stupidity to go around for everybody.

If public funding is way down, how can these colleges and universities find all this money to pay for these diversicrats? It's a miracle.

Non sequitur. And it is a right wing trope that we should not encourage dealing with racism and should actively practice racist benign neglect.

Weeding out the commisars could save a lot of money and make college more affordable. But, priorities.

Bureaucrats outnumber faculty 2:1 at public universities and 2.5:1 at private colleges, double the ratio in the 1970s. Diversity is the top justification for these hires, says Richard Vedder of the Centre for College Affordability and Productivity, a think-tank. Of more than 1,000 bureaucrats at Ohio University in Athens, 400 are superfluous, he reckons. If let go, tuition fees could be cut by a fifth.

And note that "think tank" generally means a group paid to push a particular opinion.
I like how that "article" is written by B.S.

Jebus... it is a derivative of the Earmarks argument. We'll bitch and whine over a small percentage of the school budget... and blame that for the high prices.

I suppose to the unthinking it is a miracle. The spending that sends people like you into paroxysms is a small portion of the overall budget of the university. In your example of Ohio University, its annual revenue is $10 BILLION dollars. Much of that comes from grants, donations, tuition revenue, and revenue from other sources. As I showed early, tuition revenue is a small portion of that total.

As a faculty member, I tend to agree that there are too many real bureaucrats that little to no value to the operation of an university. That is my bias. But I do recognize that they represent a small portion of the operating expenses of an university, so they cannot represent a significant portion of tuition.

“we will have a large number of highly trained and unemployed people.” should probably update that to “we will have a large number of highly trained and unemployable people.”

So many highly trained people in "skills" (liberal arts) that are unemployable with a huge student loan debt seems to be what we are looking at.
I know that you believe people with degrees in liberal arts are unemployable. Too bad you swallow the anti-education propaganda whole.
The best biologist in our lab is a native of rural Florida with redneck parents. She speaks fluent French, collects classic vinyl, and I’ve yet to bring up an author that she hasn’t read. Guess what her undergraduate education was? She could do literally anything.

I was the last of cheap state school in my home state. State has relentlessly cut state support so the position of college president has been chief fund raiser. Then they all got into building competitions trying to make state school look like some Ivy shit and have priced it to match. Gone are the days of the cattle car dormitories and spartan dining halls.

I was the last of cheap state school in my home state. State has relentlessly cut state support so the position of college president has been chief fund raiser. Then they all got into building competitions trying to make state school look like some Ivy shit and have priced it to match. Gone are the days of the cattle car dormitories and spartan dining halls.
Exactly - the old days of expecting students to live and act as poor scholars is long gone.

Back
Top Bottom