• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I suppose the Woodward Book could have been more damning

Trump seems to be quite content on attacking the messenger.

President Ellipsis said:
Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, why didn’t he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn’t he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!
Calm, no panic? You called it a "hoax"!!!

I do agree with the sentiment that Woodward did not report on this earlier. This is why I don't buy his books. He sits on this stuff for his books. But ultimately, all Woodward has done is put Trump's word against Trump's word. And that is the source of the problem. And while the GOP and Trump will work so very hard to make this about Woodward, and while that path will likely work with the base, the question is how hard will it be for Trump to sell this shit to Independents.

The panic claim is pure Trump bullshit. There are ways to warn people about a potentially deadly pandemic without causing panic. Trump just wanted to try and cover things up because he didn't want to deal with the deadly nature of the pandemic. I don't think he knows the difference between truth and lies. I think it's part of his mental illness. When someone is a pathological liar, they often believe what they are saying is true. Either that, or they are simply incapable of telling the truth. Trump wanted to believe that the virus would go away, so that's how he handled it. Even now, he frequently down plays the impact of the virus, etc. He knows that we are far from safe from this pandemic, but he wants to believe otherwise and he thinks if. he's spouts enough positive things about vaccines and such, it will all work out in the end. The man isn't capable of thinking rationally, even in those rare moments when he has an inkling of the truth. He's one sick fuck!

It's very obvious that he's a racist, yet he makes the claim that he's done more for Black folks than any other president, other than maybe Lincoln. He probably believes that shit. He's delusional.

I did love what I heard Claire McCaskill said this morning. She said something like, any president willing to have an interview with Bob Woodward this close to an election was too stupid to be president. She got that right.

The problem is that too many Trump supporters are victims of a cult, and it's very hard to help people remove themselves from a cult. Sure, some will, but I doubt even these new revelations will make that much difference to his supporters. Those in power will try to preserve their power regardless of how it hurts the American people or the country.

President Ellipsis said:
Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, why didn’t he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn’t he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!

I do agree with the sentiment that Woodward did not report on this earlier. This is why I don't buy his books. He sits on this stuff for his books. But ultimately, all Woodward has done is put Trump's word against Trump's word. And that is the source of the problem. And while the GOP and Trump will work so very hard to make this about Woodward, and while that path will likely work with the base, the question is how hard will it be for Trump to sell this shit to Independents.

Bob Woodward does share a little culpability for this. But it's a teeny-tiny amount compared to the administration, both Trump and Pence especially.

The panic claim is pure Trump bullshit.
Well, this is all part of his presidential tone, limiting panic. Considering how carefully he treated the possibility of bad actors immigrating, how even-handed he's been about democrats and gun control, how wonderfully reluctant he's been to call anyone a terrorist, and his endless efforts to shore up confidence in police, the military, political opponents, the electoral process.... he's all about not stampeding the herd.

In between Trump not being able to tell truth from lies, believing whatever comes out of his mouth in the moment is the truth even when it conflicts with his past truths and his willingness to do what he needs to do to get reelected without the weight of guilt on his shoulders there is the meat of it. Why would he say these things to BW in the first place? Because he can not perceive of the ramification in the ensuing months. In a word, he's stupid.

In between Trump not being able to tell truth from lies, believing whatever comes out of his mouth in the moment is the truth even when it conflicts with his past truths and his willingness to do what he needs to do to get reelected without the weight of guilt on his shoulders there is the meat of it. Why would he say these things to BW in the first place? Because he can not perceive of the ramification in the ensuing months. In a word, he's stupid.
I think he was bragging in early February. President Xi told me about this stuff... and it is dangerous. As if he was bragging about just having the info and peeling a little drama from the danger to wear as a scarf. He likely didn't think it'd be a problem in the US. But the Trump Admin did push to work on a vaccine in early February. By late February, cases in the US were paltry, therefore, he stopped the Wuhan Flu and criticism of him was partisan hoax because he stopped the Wuhan Flu. The trouble was the Wuhan Flu immigrated to Europe, learned Italian, and became the Roma Flu... and while he was checking the locks on the "ban" in Chinese flights, his ass was out in the wind on the Atlantic Coast.

Trump's Hoax comment in late February is effectively his "Mission Accomplished" moment.

President Ellipsis said:

Bob Woodward does share a little culpability for this. But it's a teeny-tiny amount compared to the administration, both Trump and Pence especially.

... like how if I told you that someone was robbing your house, you could blame me a "teeny-tiny amount" for the robbery because I didn't tell you about it a few moments earlier, even though that's not my role.

... like how if I told you that someone was robbing your house, you could blame me a "teeny-tiny amount" for the robbery because I didn't tell you about it a few moments earlier, even though that's not my role.

...and considering that you wouldn't have heard me if I told you right when I heard it, as you were distracted with other ... uh lies.

If you knew my home was being robbed and wrote a book about it, and published it six months after it was robbed, but you never told me a thing, especially while being robbed, or didn't call the police, you certainly aren't legally liable, but you'd be an asshat.

Woodward sat on something huge. Something that maybe could have saved lives in Trump's Wave of the virus.

The sad part is that nothing in the book is a surprise to those who are posting in this thread so far and the ones to whom this is probably a surprise aren't even reading the comments or the OP. They are fortified with the belief that Woodward is a liberal and a purveyor of fake news and that there is no reason to value anything that he says. Nor does it fall to them to have to counter what he says in the book, because there is an insufficient context with what he put in the book.

In other words, handwaving that they wear like armor against inconvenient facts. (Yes, I am trying to provoke them. Is goading against the forum rules? Or is it just impolite?) Sorry, I digress.

Like Trump conservatives, in general, live in a carefully constructed safe place of lies that if they dare to question will collapse. It all starts with the very foundational lie of conservatism that nothing has to change because change is bad and that traditions are more important than scientific or social progress.

The sad part is that nothing in the book is a surprise to those who are posting in this thread so far and the ones to whom this is probably a surprise aren't even reading the comments or the OP. They are fortified with the belief that Woodward is a liberal and a purveyor of fake news and that there is no reason to value anything that he says. Nor does it fall to them to have to counter what he says in the book, because there is an insufficient context with what he put in the book.
What I think the surprising part is how desperate Trump feels the need to brag to anyone, about anything.

Otherwise, yes, this news? It is not shocking. The GOP silence on criticism of Trump for allowing hundreds of thousands of Americans to die without a chance, I think is exhausting what little left shock there is for just how unbearably hyper-partisan they are. Their responses?

Meghan McCain said:
I cannot tell you the levels of insanity you have to reach to give Bob Woodward 18 hours of on the record interviews if you’re President Trump... Every blow that comes from this he deserves. Him and the White House.
link
Criticizing Trump for talking to Woodward.

Sen. Romney said:
It doesn’t sound ideal to me.
Ideal? Kicking a 45 yard field goal after getting possession of the ball on a turnover at the opponents 40 yard line isn't "ideal". This isn't in the universe of the scope for the word ideal!

The classic, "I didn't read it" bullshit from Sen. McConnell, Round, Rubio, Scott.

If it came out that the GOP had a pizzeria where Senate Republicans were sex trafficking children between the age of 1 and 10, I don't think I'd be surprised. In fact, I think that would actually explain a lot.

Why? Woodward is not the President. Now if he was the Chief of Police and had a lawful obligation to do something, I would agree.

If you knew my home was being robbed and wrote a book about it, and published it six months after it was robbed, but you never told me a thing, especially while being robbed, or didn't call the police, you certainly aren't legally liable, but you'd be an asshat.

Woodward sat on something huge. Something that maybe could have saved lives in Trump's Wave of the virus.

In March, Trump openly said that he knew it was serious but wanted to keep people’s hope up. This is such a nothing burger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CoCiH2F7U

Start 2:08:25.
Yes, Donald 'the niggers are coming for your suburban housewives' Trump doesn't want to cause panic.

Trump was all over the road, but generally he was downplaying the risk of the virus...(when he wasn't shoving his nose into medicinal recommendations) which isn't about trying to keep hopes up, he was telling people there wasn't much to be afraid of. He stated in early March there was no need for a shutdown. He fanned the flames of protesters wanting to end the soft shutdown and pressured states to open quicker than they should, leading the Trump Bump.

This isn't trying to making people feel safer... it was fraud.

Back
Top Bottom