• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ideasthesia

It certainly works for me but I wonder if it would for all extraterrestrial beings.

Still, fascinating.
EB

According to the article, 98% of people asked gave the same answer, which is what I did too. I found this fascinating as well.

98%????

Among autistic people, it was much lower, around 50%.

Who knows what the bat is experiencing with sound?

But two evolved brains can make different things out of the same external stimulation.

What the brain makes is arbitrary and capricious.

It is not forced.

But two evolved brains can make different things out of the same external stimulation.

It is not forced.

Ninety eight percent behave as if it is and can only offer post hoc rationalisations as to why. Wednesday is also fatter than Tuesday and Greamy Slubs is a bad name for a breakfast cereal. Trying to use Nagel here misunderstands both his paper and the problem here.

It is not forced.

Ninety eight percent behave as if it is and can only offer post hoc rationalisations as to why. Wednesday is also fatter than Tuesday and Greamy Slubs is a bad name for a breakfast cereal. Trying to use Nagel here misunderstands both his paper and the problem here.

You're talking about one species. One tiny thread in the fabric of life.

I'm talking about all of life.

Yes in one species the brain does one thing.

And in the bee and in the bat it does something else. It creates different effects.

Because the effects the brain creates are arbitrary and capricious. They are dependent on contingency and the limits of biology and matter, not design.

Sub, what do you see as the "problem here"? I don't exactly get it.

I mean, I don't think this really means much of anything, but found it amazing that such a high percentage of people would give the same answer. It was primarily for that that I thought it might be food for thought, or thread fodder.

Doesn't it essentially boil down to the probability that most people associate 'k' sounds with sharper edges, and 'b' sounds with softer, rounder edges? (Or even that kiki is on the left and bouba is on the right...)

Nonetheless, 98% is practically unheard of in these kind of tests, unless I am mistaken?

It is not forced.

You're talking about one species. One tiny thread in the fabric of life.

I'm talking about all of life.

Yes in one species the brain does one thing.

And in the bee and in the bat it does something else. It creates different effects.

Because the effects the brain creates are arbitrary and capricious. They are dependent on contingency and the limits of biology and matter, not design.

I wasn’t aware that all of life could read.

Sub, what do you see as the "problem here"? I don't exactly get it.

I mean, I don't think this really means much of anything, but found it amazing that such a high percentage of people would give the same answer. It was primarily for that that I thought it might be food for thought, or thread fodder.

Doesn't it essentially boil down to the probability that most people associate 'k' sounds with sharper edges, and 'b' sounds with softer, rounder edges? (Or even that kiki is on the left and bouba is on the right...)

Nonetheless, 98% is practically unheard of in these kind of tests, unless I am mistaken?

I think this one is for Cop as he’s the word expert. Certainly when I last pissed around with this there was no real consensus. Personally I think this is one of those unsolved problems that will suddenly have an answer on the day psychology has its Newton. The it will be so obvious we can all see it. See also Brownian Motion.

And yes, 98% is insane. Asking people if ducks are fish will get you less.

What hole that came from I don't know.

But what evolving brains make from external stimulation is arbitrary and capricious.

There is nothing telling evolving brains which direction to go or what to make of external stimulation.

But what evolving brains make from external stimulation is arbitrary and capricious.

There is nothing telling evolving brains which direction to go or what to make of external stimulation.

Apart from the minor detail of selective pressure of course.

As for which hole, I assume that you read the OP before posting?

Has anybody tried this test on Germans?

I just notice that the word for 'blob' in German is 'klecks', while the word for 'sharp' is 'scharf'.

What things do "selective pressures" direct a brain to make of any external stimulation?

Impossible for an external stimulation to force an evolving brain to do anything.

All brain products, from the visual experience to the auditory experience to the the experience of thoughts, are random contingencies.

Nothing was forced or directed.

What things do "selective pressures" direct a brain to make of any external stimulation?

Impossible for an external stimulation to force an evolving brain to do anything.

All brain products, from the visual experience to the auditory experience to the the experience of thoughts, are random contingencies.

How exactly do you think evolution works?

Many ways.

The external world cannot force an evolving brain to make anything.

Things arise randomly and they either help or hurt the odds of survival. If they help they are many times retained and modified over time.

ruby sparks:

Good point!

[Sorry, all. I keep hitting the reply button instead of the reply with quote button, and then posting without realizing it]

Has anybody tried this test on Germans?

I just notice that the word for 'blob' in German is 'klecks', while the word for 'sharp' is 'scharf'.
- ruby

Many ways.

Things arise randomly and they either help or hurt the odds of survival. If they help they are many times retained and modified over time.

As usual, you are hopelessly confused. When you talk of an evolving brain, you can only be talking about a process that occurs across generations. Evolution is not a process that occurs within individual creatures. It is only by screwing up and trying to look at an evolving brain in an individual that you can come to such a daft conclusion. Once again, internal consistency is lacking, just as when you help yourself to your subjective seemings while insisting others are objective.

It seems like that's part of it, but as English readers our interpretation is also biased by the glyphs we use for those consonants.

Many ways.

As usual, you are hopelessly confused. When you talk of an evolving brain, you can only be talking about a process that occurs across generations. Evolution is not a process that occurs within individual creatures. It is only by screwing up and trying to look at an evolving brain in an individual that you can come to such a daft conclusion. Once again, internal consistency is lacking, just as when you help yourself to your subjective seemings while insisting others are objective.

You at least somewhat understand what I mean by an "evolving brain". A brain changing over millions of years.

And an evolving brain cannot be directed to produce anything.

Everything it creates, from the visual experience to the auditory experience to thoughts and sensations, are arbitrary and capricious.

They all arose by chance. Not any design.

I agree with Ruby that this may be an artifact of English, or maybe of Romance or Indo-European languages more generally. Kiki: prickle. Bouba: blob.

It would be interesting to test this in multiple language families.

Back
Top Bottom