• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Congress holds Barr in contempt, then what?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/us/politics/house-contempt-attorney-general-barr.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

WASHINGTON — The House Judiciary Committee will vote Wednesday to hold Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress, after the Justice Department appeared to miss a Monday deadline to negotiate the delivery of Robert S. Mueller III’s full report, along with key evidence collected by the special counsel.

Democrats said the vote could still be avoided if the Justice Department changes course, but Monday’s announcement sets up another dramatic escalation in a growing dispute between the legislative and executive branches. If the full House follows suit and votes to hold Mr. Barr in contempt of Congress, it would be only the second time in American history that a sitting member of a president’s cabinet has been penalized by lawmakers that way.

The Judiciary Committee’s chairman, Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, said the vote would occur at 10 a.m. A 27-page report accompanying the vote notice on Monday recommends that Mr. Barr “shall be found to be in contempt of Congress for failure to comply with a congressional subpoena.”

So, what happens next? What will the Democrats do if they hold Barr in contempt? How will this be enforced? Will it backfire? What will the idiot in the WH try to do to protect Barr? Your thoughts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/us/politics/house-contempt-attorney-general-barr.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

WASHINGTON — The House Judiciary Committee will vote Wednesday to hold Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress, after the Justice Department appeared to miss a Monday deadline to negotiate the delivery of Robert S. Mueller III’s full report, along with key evidence collected by the special counsel.

Democrats said the vote could still be avoided if the Justice Department changes course, but Monday’s announcement sets up another dramatic escalation in a growing dispute between the legislative and executive branches. If the full House follows suit and votes to hold Mr. Barr in contempt of Congress, it would be only the second time in American history that a sitting member of a president’s cabinet has been penalized by lawmakers that way.

The Judiciary Committee’s chairman, Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, said the vote would occur at 10 a.m. A 27-page report accompanying the vote notice on Monday recommends that Mr. Barr “shall be found to be in contempt of Congress for failure to comply with a congressional subpoena.”

So, what happens next? What will the Democrats do if they hold Barr in contempt? How will this be enforced? Will it backfire? What will the idiot in the WH try to do to protect Barr? Your thoughts.

The next step would be to hold an Impeachment trial in the House. Then the Senate will stall and nothing will happen. President Twit will Tweet.

What will the idiot in the WH try to do to protect Barr?
Well, THAT one's easy.

"Sweet Fanny Adams."

Trump is not there to protect any underling. Barr was there to protect Trump. And Trump already got the 'no collusion, no obstruction' headlines. Barr is now failing to convince Congress that the investigation is over, but he's convinced Fox News and their viewership, so he's expendable.
If I had to guess, he will be fired, and the delay in appointing and confirming a replacement means whoever has the job temporarily will be uncomfortable doing anything that 'the next (real) AG' may not agree with. "As merely the acting AG, I cannot release a document that might compromise the authority of whoever the fuck gets tossed under this bus."

Trump is demonstrating how dangerously fragile our democracy actually is.

I understand it hasn't been done since 1935 but the House can order, by vote, to send the Sergeant-At-Arms to arrest the offender and hold him in the House jail (which no longer exists, btw).

I understand it hasn't been done since 1935 but the House can order, by vote, to send the Sergeant-At-Arms to arrest the offender and hold him in the House jail (which no longer exists, btw).

I've heard some members of Congress say that the jail cell is still there. What's going on? Yeah, Jimmy is correct. Our so called democracy is much more fragile than anyone thought. Not that it was ever that great, but I can't say that I ever expected things to get this bad in such a short period of time.

I've heard some members of Congress say that the jail cell is still there.
But does anyone know where the keys are...?
As long as the door is open, I don't see the need for a key... maybe also show Trump a Border Wall demonstration in there.

Shut the door. Trump turns around...

Trump: Oh fuck no! You ain't pulling that Cask of Amontillado shit on me!
Barr: What just happened?
Trump: They locked us in here like that fuck head Montresor.
Barr: What?
Trump: You know, that short story by Edgar Allan Poe?
Barr: I can't fucking believe this. You've read a book?

I caught the tail end of a piece on NBC, iirc, where they toured the lower levels of congress. The only thing that could be said to be close to a jail cell would be Washington's tomb which was never used but still exists. Iron bars for doors, close confines.

Washington'sTomb_in_US_Capitol.jpg

"If Congress holds Barr in contempt, then what?"

Then? If it's before 7pm local time, it's Happy Hour at most drinking establishments.
Two-for-one drinks will be far more effective than Congress in this situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/trump-executive-privilege-mueller-report.html?module=inline

WASHINGTON — The House Judiciary Committee voted Wednesday to recommend that the House hold Attorney General William P. Barr in contempt of Congress for failing to turn over Robert S. Mueller III’s unredacted report, hours after President Trump asserted executive privilege to shield the full report and underlying evidence from Congress.

The committee’s 24-to-16 contempt vote, taken after hours of debate over the future of American democracy, was the first official House action to punish a government official in the standoff over the Mueller report. The Justice Department denounced the move as unnecessary and intended to stoke a fight.

After the vote, the Judiciary Committee chairman, Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, swatted away questions about possible impeachment, but added, “We are now in a constitutional crisis.”

The contempt vote raised the stakes in the battle over evidence and witnesses as Democrats investigate Mr. Trump over behavior detailed by Mr. Mueller, the special counsel, in his report into Russian election interference and possible obstruction of justice. By the day’s end, it seemed all but inevitable that the competing claims would have to be settled in the nation’s courts rather than on Capitol Hill.

This will likely go to the courts, where it will probably not be settled before the 2020 election. When the Republicans held Eric Holder in contempt, it took a long time to be settled. This is probably what will happen here. I'm not sure this was such a great idea. I'm not sure that anything will be accomplished by holding Barr in contempt, even though I personally think that Barr has become another Trump sycophant who should be held responsible for how he portrayed the Mueller report.

Question. Did congress create the office of special prosecutor and if so, why the hell did they make it so that he reported directly to a person hand picked for that office by the very person the special prosecutor was investigating. That's like a person in an arson investigation of a bar, reporting to the lawyer the bar owner handpicked to oversee the bar. Isn't there an obvious conflict of interest there. Why didn't they just make it so that he reports to congress and take out the middleman?

It sounds like they created a boondoggle office that simulates all the sizzle and none of the steak.

Question. Did congress create the office of special prosecutor and if so, why the hell did they make it so that he reported directly to a person hand picked for that office by the very person the special prosecutor was investigating. That's like a person in an arson investigation of a bar, reporting to the lawyer the bar owner handpicked to oversee the bar. Isn't there an obvious conflict of interest there. Why didn't they just make it so that he reports to congress and take out the middleman?

It sounds like they created a boondoggle office that simulates all the sizzle and none of the steak.

Mueller was appointed by Rod Rosenstein,second in command at the DOJ. Sessions had recused himself so could not get involved. Mueller was to give his report to whomever was the AG, who now happens to be "General Coverup".

Back
Top Bottom