• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If I am immortal, then I will soon die

In your personal opinion, do you feel that "If I am immortal, then I will soon die" is val

• Yes, it is valid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a stupid remark. You have no idea what I do.

I was also replying to aupmanyav's erroneous comment, and you interjected with an irrelevant remark. And now, LOL, you pontificate from the vantage point of your ignorance.

It doesn't take long for one of you childish dummy spits to emerge. Slightly longer than I expected this time. Maybe that's a sign of progress, but I doubt it.

If you read what I said, I made no mention of you. It was a general remark related to semantics and evidence.

Nor was aupmanyav's comment erroneous. That is your erroneous belief.

My remark was related to aupmanyav's comment, hence relevant to the discussion.

Well, yes, but the brain also works consciously, no? This certainly seems to be my own empirical experience.

And this work seems to include making us consciously do the things that will lead to us having intuitions, and precisely the kind of intuitions we think we need.
EB

Nothing is conscious before readiness potential.

It doesn't take long for one of you childish dummy spits to emerge. Slightly longer than I expected this time. Maybe that's a sign of progress, but I doubt it.

If you read what I said, I made no mention of you. It was a general remark related to semantics and evidence.

Nor was aupmanyav's comment erroneous. That is your erroneous belief.

My remark was related to aupmanyav's comment, hence relevant to the discussion.

:rub:

Nothing is conscious before readiness potential.

:rub:
EB

If the logical proportions I post are always faulty then I must be a master of logic and everybody else is stupid.

In your personal opinion, do you feel that the following implication is valid or invalid?

And either way, can you try to explain why?

If I am immortal, then I will soon die
I voted: it doesn't make any sense. I don.t know what it means or is trying to mean.

Thank you to vote before posting any comment.
EB
I've voted. Statement doesn't make any sense. I don't know what it means for is trying to mean.

I've voted. Statement doesn't make any sense. I don't know what it means for is trying to mean.

Your comment doesn't make any sense. I don't know what you mean or are trying to mean.

I wouldn't vote for you, that's for sure.
EB

It certainly doesn't encourage participation when everyone who responds is told they are an idiot.

I try to discourage idiots but it doesn't work. :cheer:
EB

The question is not very clear. Is it about feeling of dying? Is it about logic hidden in the question? Anyway, it requires interpretation, and I probably would answer YES with my best interpretation. Here is why:

First, what is immortal? I chose to treat this question as bounded by our laws of universe. There are no mystical creatures and so on. So, what does immortal mean in this context? It means a creature with very good regenerative capabilities that can not die due to disease and many natural causes and old age. It still would die if thrown to supernovae, but from practical point of view, we would call such creature as immortal.

Another assumption is that the universe ends, either in big crunch or in thermal death, or proton decay. I (as immortal) would not be able to survive that, for sure. For simplicity, let's consider the most benign end of the universe - thermal death. All matter cools to absolute zero and flies away from each other due to expansion of space. So, I will meet my "frozen death" - my thoughts will stop, and I will be there forever existing, but operationally dead, unable to get any energy to process a single thought.

And yes, it happens too soon, because I could have lived infinitely longer, but my life was (will be) ended by external causes, not by my choice. So, I would vote "yes", but the poll is closed.

Interesting and unusual poll by the way. Requires thinking. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom