• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If Jesus was alive today I think he would be an atheist

Yes. Jesus would "reform" the religion he presumably created refusing to join any sect founded by anybody else. He just hated to admit that anybody could trump him on any religious matter, and if he did agree with anybody, then he would claim he had the idea first.
So... you're claiming that Jesus wasn't Jewish.

Because he definitely did not found that faith.

A minor point.

How can the half human half god product of a god inseminating a human women be atheist?
All atheists deny the divine providence of their birth, do they not? Atheist Jesus would be free to disbelieve his mother's claim to have birthed him as a virgin, same as anyone else.

Yes. Jesus would "reform" the religion he presumably created refusing to join any sect founded by anybody else. He just hated to admit that anybody could trump him on any religious matter, and if he did agree with anybody, then he would claim he had the idea first.

If Jesus existed, then he was probably ethnically Jewish. It is of course debatable if he was Jewish in the religious sense. So no, I'm not saying he wasn't Jewish. I'm saying that he found the Jewish sects of his day to be woefully inadequate and sought to "fix" Judaism. So his refusal to join any of those sects wouldn't mean he wasn't Jewish any more than a person refusing to become a Mormon means they're not Christian.

Because he definitely did not found that faith.

I've noticed you like to point out what is obvious. Although Jesus never founded Judaism, he evidently thought he did found it.

If Jesus existed, then he was probably ethnically Jewish. It is of course debatable if he was Jewish in the religious sense. So no, I'm not saying he wasn't Jewish. I'm saying that he found the Jewish sects of his day to be woefully inadequate and sought to "fix" Judaism.
A weird "crime" for an atheist to accuse someone else of as though it were a personal failing! :rofl:

If Jesus was alive today, IMO he would be a philosopher, who was famous for a piercing take on what I regard as one of the most interesting philosophical questions. If God existed, would HE be a theist or an atheist? In other words, what would be a God from HIS POV?

If Jesus was alive today, IMO he would be a philosopher
Nietzsche was a great critic of the judging Christ, but one thing he respected Jesus for was Jesus's ability to create his own values (eg, love of enemy), rather than just needing to pursue satiety like glory seeking Achilles.

Nietzsche was a great critic of the judging Christ, but one thing he respected Jesus for was Jesus's ability to create his own values (eg, love of enemy), rather than just needing to pursue satiety like glory seeking Achilles.
Do you really think that Jesus was the first person to conclude that it was a virtue to have good relations with one's enemies making peace with them if possible? There's almost nothing in the Gospel story that's original or unique. I'd expect a real God to come up with better ideas than people do.

If Jesus existed, then he was probably ethnically Jewish. It is of course debatable if he was Jewish in the religious sense. So no, I'm not saying he wasn't Jewish. I'm saying that he found the Jewish sects of his day to be woefully inadequate and sought to "fix" Judaism.
A weird "crime" for an atheist to accuse someone else of as though it were a personal failing! :rofl:
I don't know what you're talking about.

Do you really think that Jesus was the first person to conclude that it was a virtue to have good relations with one's enemies making peace with them if possible?
Interestingly specific claim. Do you have a specific philosopher in mind? It wasn't "good relations" he recommended, but specifically love: agapate, love them as selflessly you do your own family, nation, gods.

Making light of god to the Jews would be blasphemy. Something about not taking the lord's name in vein?

If a wandering Christian mystic came in from the desert and began attacking modern Christianity claiming to be the son of god with no material means of support , he would get 'crucified'.

In our enlightened times he would be committed to an institution for mental evaluation. If he caused trouble in a mega church or the Vatican he would be arrested.

In the context of the gospel Jesus I do not see how anyone can think modern Certainty is something Jesus would approve of.
But if he returned with Hercules, then he could manage Hercules who would dominate the WWF. And of course with a bodyguard like Hercules is anyone really going to try to fuck with Jesus? Nope. They could even tag team.

God creates human son to suffer, be tortured, and crucified because creation did not work out like he wanted. Sgeesh, very Trumpian.

I'd think Jesus would opt out. Why leave ht heavenly eternal comfort and come back to Earth?

no you are all wrong. If Jesus was alive today he would be a slave that everyone was pretending was in charge so they would have an excuse to crucify him. And he would be a 12 year old boy. (Jesus was 13 when he was baptised)

Last edited:
I made the claim on a catholic board many years ago that if the protagonist of their gospel fables actually showed up today they'd abuse him the same way. Unsurprisingly most of them agreed with me, including the mods. What a sad life they live.

A modern equivalent to Barabbas would preferably be set free, by some people, in exchange for Jesus....

A modern equivalent to Barabbas would preferably be set free, by some people, in exchange for Jesus....
I might be one of those people. Jesus' stated goal was to lead his followers into life-threatening situations. Since he was so dangerous, then he shouldn't be free to victimize people.

I might be one of those people. Jesus' stated goal was to lead his followers into life-threatening situations. Since he was so dangerous, then he shouldn't be free to victimize people.

Tyrants would hate Jesus too. Understandable - why would they accept the "Love your neibour nonsense etc.." going throughout the world? We must have poor and hungry people for the tyranny system, in all its guises, to work profitably.

Tell me that Jesus was not hired by the Romans to absorb the anger of the people and incite them against the priests and the Pharisees who incite them against the Romans .. in the famous colonial policy: divide and rule. The Jews are multiplying at a high rate despite their poverty and helplessness (as is happening now in the developing countries), then Jesus comes and calls them to turn a blind eye, to gouge out their eyes, and even to eunuch. Why ? Because the Romans do not want a popular revolution in this part of the world and they want the people here who are cheap whores and eunuch slaves who do not multiply too much and are unable to fight but pay tribute in full and obey Roman laws and Roman soldiers willingly. Jesus teaches people that they are sheep, and he is the good shepherd.. and fools do not know that the shepherd slaughters the sheep to eat them in the end.

Back
Top Bottom