• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib banned from entering Israel.

Patooka

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
aaa
This is fucking bullshit. This proves without a doubt how gutless and cowardly the Netanyahu Administration is in dealing with the slightest bit of criticism. Furthermore, this simply reinforces the BDS movement - it implies that Israel has something to hide. The best way to show that Israel is the most democratic nation in its region (and it arguably is), some transparency must be required. This sends the wrong message and it is appalling that Netanyahu would choose to do such a craven...

wait, Israel was fine with Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib entering Israel?

Israel's ambassador in the United States, Ron Dermer, had said last month that Ms Tlaib and Ms Omar would be let in, out of respect for the US Congress and the US-Israeli relationship.

Then who the fuck is blocking it?

Oh, for fuck's sake:

Israel had initially chosen to allow the visit.

A source who took part in consultations Mr Netanyahu held with Cabinet members and advisers on Wednesday told Reuters that Israel backtracked due to pressure from Mr Trump.

What a fucking child. Trump: "Elected officials are justifiably holding me accountable for my actions, so I'm going to be a petulant infant and through my considerable weight around."

Fuck I'm glad "Leader of the Free World" is a polite fiction.

Fuck I'm glad "Leader of the Free World" is a polite fiction.

Polite? It's not polite. It's arrogant self importance. Trump is the perfect symbol for a country that as long proclaimed itself to be better than everyone else. "American Exceptionalism" my ass.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "One thing that is completely undeniable about Bernie Sanders is the enormous political courage he consistently wields on behalf of others.
This statement is a big deal. He’s not just standing up for two members - he’s standing for the integrity of the entire US Congress. https://t.co/dZ8jPIyrLU" / Twitter
noting
All In w/Chris Hayes on Twitter: "WATCH: Bernie Sanders on Israel’s decision to deny entrance to two elected U.S. officials: “If Israel doesn’t want members of the United States Congress to visit their country…maybe they can respectfully decline the billions of dollars that we give to Israel.” #inners https://t.co/m48djEhZjU" / Twitter

I'm a bit skeptical, because BS has a rather safe seat. It's like how Isaac Asimov fought against getting kicked off the faculty of Boston University in the 1950's. His fellow professors praised him as very brave, but he noted that his bravery was from having an outside source of income: his writing.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Folks may want to read extra deep into this, but I say this simply to acknowledge the courage it takes to make a statement like this.
From Warren to Castro to Bernie & others, we are lucky to have the leadership bench we have right now. We should praise all their great moments!" / Twitter

Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "Israel doesn't advance its case as a tolerant democracy or unwavering US ally by barring elected members of Congress from visiting because of their political views. This would be a shameful, unprecedented move. I urge Israel’s government to allow @IlhanMN and @RashidaTlaib entry." / Twitter

Julián Castro on Twitter: "Make no mistake, the Israeli government just barred two elected members of the U.S. Congress from an official trip just to appease President Trump's fragile ego. This is appalling.
They should be allowed to enter. https://t.co/6lSKYsAEmV" / Twitter

Tlaib and Omar are rabidly anti Israel. They would have used their visit as an opportunity for their "kauft nicht bei Juden" BDS propaganda.
Besides, Tlaib is allowed to come in and visit her family, but she doesn't want to.

Rep. Rashida Tlaib says she won't visit Israel after being allowed to enter on humanitarian grounds

She doesn't want to visit her 90 year old grandmother, unless she is also allowed to push BDS propaganda and advocate for destruction of Israel.

Would US allow entry to a foreign politician who advocates USA be abolished or who advocates US be boycotted, divested from and sanctioned?

I'm a bit skeptical, because BS has a rather safe seat. It's like how Isaac Asimov fought against getting kicked off the faculty of Boston University in the 1950's. His fellow professors praised him as very brave, but he noted that his bravery was from having an outside source of income: his writing.

Okay, but who else, presidential candidate or otherwise, is explicitly pointing out the disconnect between the US sending billions in aid and the recipient of aid banning US political representatives from entering?

They should have just said they were Neo-Nazis, they would have gotten in no problem

zeddy.JPG

So Tlaib sends a letter asking Israel to let her in to visit her grandmother, promissing that she will abide by any restrictions. Israel agrees, but now Tlaib says she won't go and is crying foul over the very restrictions she agreed to abide by.
ECE8IFtVUAEzf5F.jpeg

So Tlaib sends a letter asking Israel to let her in to visit her grandmother, promissing that she will abide by any restrictions. Israel agrees, but now Tlaib says she won't go and is crying foul over the very restrictions she agreed to abide by.
From what I can see, she is not crying foul over any restrictions she agree to. What are you referring to?

She changed her mind, she didn't handle this well. Neither did Netanyahu. I don't support bds but the ban is foolish.

I wouldn't allow foaming at the mouth rabid anti-semites into Israel either. The land of Israel is so small. Why can't whining babies just let them keep it? It's so small it's ridiculous.

From what I can see, she is not crying foul over any restrictions she agree to. What are you referring to?
What you can see is extremely limited.
Timeline is this:
- Yesterday Tlaib writes a letter requesting entry to West Bank to visit her family, saying that she will abide by any restrictions and will not preach BDS while there.
- Israel agrees
- Today Tlaib changes her mind and says that she will absolutely not go to West Bank to visit her family with the restrictions she previously agreed to.

For example, this article.
Tlaib rejects visit under ‘oppressive conditions’ to Israel

Here is Tlaib rejecting the conditions:
Boston Globe said:
After initially banning her and Representative Ilhan Omar, a Democrat from Minnesota, from entering the country, Israel relented earlier Friday in response to a request from Tlaib to see her grandmother, who lives in the occupied West Bank, during a four-day trip planned for next week.
Hours later, Tlaib said she had decided not to travel to Israel under conditions that would have included a pledge in writing not to ‘‘promote boycotts against Israel’’ while there.
[..]
She said visiting her family under such ‘‘oppressive conditions meant to humiliate me would break my grandmother’s heart.’’

Here is what she agreed to yesterday.
Boston Globe said:
Israel’s Interior Minister Aryeh Deri, who approved an overnight request from Tlaib on Friday to visit based on humanitarian grounds, called Tlaib’s decision not to visit a provocation.

‘‘Last night, she sent me a letter asking to allow her to visit her 90-year-old grandmother ‘because this could be my last chance to meet her,’ ” Deri said. ‘‘I approved it for humanitarian reason, but it turns out that it was a provocation to embarrass Israel. Her hatred for Israel overcomes her love for her grandmother.’’
In her letter to Deri, Tlaib asked to be allowed to visit Israel ‘‘in order to visit my relatives, and specifically my grandmother who is in her 90s.’’
The congresswoman wrote that it ‘‘would be my last opportunity to see her.’’ She also pledged to ‘‘respect any restrictions and will not promote boycotts against Israel during my visit.’’

So to some up, Tlaib requested to visit her grandmother, pledging to not promote BDS. Then when her request was approved, she says she doesn't want to go because the approval includes her not promoting BDS, something she agreed to.
giphy.gif

Even Mr. Magoo could see what you refuse to accept.

Okay, but who else, presidential candidate or otherwise, is explicitly pointing out the disconnect between the US sending billions in aid and the recipient of aid banning US political representatives from entering?

Israel haters like Tlaib and Omar would never vote for military aid for Israel anyway.
And why do you think a country should be obligated to grant entry to foreign politicians who advocate that country's destruction?

Israel haters like Tlaib and Omar would never vote for military aid for Israel anyway.
And why do you think a country should be obligated to grant entry to foreign politicians who advocate that country's destruction?

Even AIPAC criticized the ban.

Even AIPAC criticized the ban.
Well yeah, people are allowed to have different opinions. I myself am not sure whether the ban was a good idea as a PR matter in the long term (Tlaib's tantrum is helping Israel though), but I know for sure that sovereign nations are within their rights to ban entry to individuals who seek their destruction.

Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib Partnered with Vicious Anti-Semites to Plan Their Trip to Israel

The organziation that was sponsoring the planned trip by these two is Miftah, a rabidly anti-Semitic group that engages in blood libel and celebrates terrorists.

If the National Review has them in their sights, Tlaib and Omar must be doing something right.

It's reassuring that we are going back to the tired old argument that any criticism of Israel instantly means anti-semitism.

Back
Top Bottom