• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I'M GOD

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Judge rules Kentucky man can get license plate reading 'IM GOD'

Bennie Hart, a retired postal worker, applied for the plate in 2016 but was denied, with the cabinet saying that the plate qualified as government speech and thus did not have free speech protections...

He [the judge] similarly rejected the claim that religious messages on plates could be “potentially controversial” and lead to “confrontation or distraction on highways,” according to WDRB.

“If the Transportation Cabinet genuinely wants to avoid controversy on Kentucky’s highways by preventing ‘promotion of any specific faith, religion, or anti-religion’ from appearing on vanity plates,” he wrote, “then it should have denied 'IM4GOD', 'ASKGOD', 'GR8GOD', 'LUVGOD'. But it did not.”

So there is a god after all and he's a driver in Kentucky. I've been thinking it's George Burns all these years.

Maybe I can get the same plate in my state.

I would have read that as "Instant Messaging God" if I just saw it on the street, and thought little of it. Child of my generation, I suppose...

I would have read that as "Instant Messaging God" if I just saw it on the street, and thought little of it. Child of my generation, I suppose...

That may be what it means. The article didn't mention that. When I apply for mine in my state it's going to be UR GOD. If nothing else readers might learn something Sumerian.

I'd put snarky stuff on my car, but I fear some godfearing person would key it. I do wear snarky message shirts (mainly about His Orangeness), and haven't been assaulted yet.

I'd put snarky stuff on my car, but I fear some godfearing person would key it.
I used to drive around Georgia and North Florida with atheist bumper stickers and never had a problem.
Moved to Massachusetts and someone pried my EvolveFish off the bumper and smashed it....

I have a United Federation of Planets insignia on my car but no Klingons have ever molested it, to my relief.

Is it a religious message? Sounds more like it is trolling.

Which reminds me, I need to petition Columbus for a "In Urban Meyer We Trust" for a Ohio license plate.

I'd put snarky stuff on my car, but I fear some godfearing person would key it.
I used to drive around Georgia and North Florida with atheist bumper stickers and never had a problem.
Moved to Massachusetts and someone pried my EvolveFish off the bumper and smashed it....

I used to have a dog fish on my former car and nobody ever bothered it, but one of my husband's former coworkers asked him why I considered his god to be a dog. My husband laughed his ass off and told his coworker, "she doesn't think your god is a dog, she worships dogs". Yeah.

I even have a cartoon on my refrigerator that is a picture of a man trying to enter the pearly gates, but there's a dog sitting behind the pulpit. The dog looks at the man and says, "Well yes...considering you people have been spelling my name backward all this time, I imagine this would come as a bit of a surprise to you...."

I currently have a sticker on my car that reads, "Dog is my copilot". I've actually had at least one dog loving Christian tell me that she loved that sticker.

Sorry to change the subject. I couldn't help myself.

But, whenever I read the title of this thread, I wonder what happened to the former poster who's screen name was, "I'm God".

I'd put snarky stuff on my car, but I fear some godfearing person would key it. ...

I was registering a used car at the MVD and the clerk asked me if it bothered me that the random license plate number included "666". It didn't bother me at all, but I thought it might incite some stranger and I didn't want to get shot at. I had her give me a different one. But you're right. At one time keying was a thing. Now it's guns.

I'd put snarky stuff on my car, but I fear some godfearing person would key it. ...

I was registering a used car at the MVD and the clerk asked me if it bothered me that the random license plate number included "666". It didn't bother me at all, but I thought it might incite some stranger and I didn't want to get shot at. I had her give me a different one. But you're right. At one time keying was a thing. Now it's guns.

I had the opposite experience several years ago. I was getting a new tag for my husband's Mustang Cobra and the clerk started to hand me a plate that had 666 on it. She freaked out and asked me if I wanted a different one. I said, "Not thanks. He will love that one." And he does. I doubt many people even noticed the 666, but we thought it was funny.

I'm not too worried about what I put on my car. My neighbor saw a man in our neighborhood last week who had a large assortment of anti Trump memes on his car, and at the bottom there was a sticker that said, "Impeach Trump". Afaik, he's still alive. I will admit that some of my black friends are too scared to put stickers on their cars. I certainly respect their concerns.

I had the opposite experience several years ago. I was getting a new tag for my husband's Mustang Cobra and the clerk started to hand me a plate that had 666 on it. She freaked out and asked me if I wanted a different one. I said, "Not thanks. He will love that one." And he does. I doubt many people even noticed the 666, but we thought it was funny.

I'm not too worried about what I put on my car. My neighbor saw a man in our neighborhood last week who had a large assortment of anti Trump memes on his car, and at the bottom there was a sticker that said, "Impeach Trump". Afaik, he's still alive. I will admit that some of my black friends are too scared to put stickers on their cars. I certainly respect their concerns.

Well you get a tiny amount of personal satisfaction along with a tiny risk of pissing-off some a-hole. I'll pass.

How about raising the stakes with a license plate that says "ATHEIST"? I think most people would say that was just crazy. Shouldn't offend anyone like saying "IM GOD". But some fundamentalist would look at it as a challenge that they can't ignore.

Last edited:
I've seen ATHEIST license plates -- well, at least one -- pictured in Freethought Today. In my county, the generic license plates include a lot of letter sequences that start with FK or FFK or FKG. I always wonder how straight-laced residents feel about driving around with those tags. Didn't they have a chance to object, at the DMV? Are they oblivious to it? I see a license plate in the car ahead that says FFK885 and I think, that's what an angry stuttering guy says when you ask what his cholesterol count is.

Back
Top Bottom