• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but...

"Signals" are in optical range of spectra, not terahertz. 600 GHz is a frequency of modulation of the spectra.

Everyone fucks up. I guess that professional reputation depends on the nature and scale of the fuck up.

The real problem is that there is fairly high pressure to be the first to announce a new finding. Everyone involved in applied physics sees things that would seem counter to accepted theory. Generally it is due to an error in the test set up or misinterpretation of what they find. Good practice is to double or triple check the experiment, the test set up, and try to alter the test in way that would eliminate other influences. However some feel the need to announce before sufficient checks and trials to insure that they see what they think they see out of fear that someone else may publish first. Finding something that is contrary to accepted theory (showing an error in the theory) is the kind of thing that brings renown to the one finding it - often a Novel Prize.

Everyone fucks up. I guess that professional reputation depends on the nature and scale of the fuck up.

The real problem is that there is fairly high pressure to be the first to announce a new finding. Everyone involved in applied physics sees things that would seem counter to accepted theory. Generally it is due to an error in the test set up or misinterpretation of what they find. Good practice is to double or triple check the experiment, the test set up, and try to alter the test in way that would eliminate other influences. However some feel the need to announce before sufficient checks and trials to insure that they see what they think they see out of fear that someone else may publish first. Finding something that is contrary to accepted theory (showing an error in the theory) is the kind of thing that brings renown to the one finding it - often a Novel Prize.

What, like the Booker? ;)

What, like the Booker? ;)
:laughing-smiley-014

Good catch... it took me a while to figure out WTF you were referring to.

Yeah, the fucking "v" on my keyboard is too close to the "b". :o

Back
Top Bottom