• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In UCSD study, specific memories are being erased and restored

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
... neuron by neuron using light beams.

Shining a light on memory: It's all about strengthened connections between neurons
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140601150812.htm
Using a flash of light, scientists have inactivated and then reactivated a memory in genetically engineered rats. The study is the first cause-and-effect evidence that strengthened connections between neurons are the stuff of memory. The findings add to mounting evidence that the brain represents a memory by forming assemblies of neurons with strengthened connections, or synapses.

Optogenetic Method Erases, Reactivates Memories
http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=56267
SAN DIEGO, June 2, 2014 — A new optogenetics technique could essentially control memories, showing potential for treating brain-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease.

A team from the University of California, San Diego, has discovered how to use optogenetics techniques to deactivate and then reactivate memories in the brains of genetically engineered rats. This is the first evidence demonstrating that this can be done by stimulating nerves in the brain via synapsis.

“We can form a memory, erase that memory and we can reactivate it at will by applying a stimulus that selectively strengthens or weakens synaptic connections,” said Dr. Roberto Malinow, professor of neurosciences at UCSD.

I'm finding this quite... illuminating. :bulb:

Hopefully this means that they will finally make it possible to beam knowledge directly into someone's brain. The terrifying bit, however, is that it's also apparently possible to remove it, too?

Hopefully this means that they will finally make it possible to beam knowledge directly into someone's brain. The terrifying bit, however, is that it's also apparently possible to remove it, too?

We'll just need to get it backed up onto a hard drive and then we can restore any erased memories that we like.

Unless we forget about the hard drive, of course.

"Jiu-Jitsu? I'm going to learn Jiu-Jitsu?!?"
Having the implanted memory of having learned jiu-jitsu could be very dangerous. And hilarious.

This brings up an interesting point. Is simply remembering having learned something the same as having learned it? I wouldn't think so. Especially for something very physical, for which "muscle memory" is a great part.

Having the implanted memory of having learned jiu-jitsu could be very dangerous. And hilarious.

This brings up an interesting point. Is simply remembering having learned something the same as having learned it? I wouldn't think so. Especially for something very physical, for which "muscle memory" is a great part.

It entirely depends on where and how the connections are made and placed. It would be intensely valuable for professions which rely on a block of knowledge, like doctors, researchers, etc.. I know for my own job, the limiting element to my ability to do work is the amount of reading obtuse bullshit that I have to do. It would be nice to just upload all those rotten API reference documents and be done with it. I can easily figure out the rules of how to use a semaphore, and when... But it does me no good if I don't know the entirely arbitrary magic words to create and manage one in a given language.

It entirely depends on where and how the connections are made and placed. It would be intensely valuable for professions which rely on a block of knowledge, like doctors, researchers, etc.. I know for my own job, the limiting element to my ability to do work is the amount of reading obtuse bullshit that I have to do. It would be nice to just upload all those rotten API reference documents and be done with it. I can easily figure out the rules of how to use a semaphore, and when... But it does me no good if I don't know the entirely arbitrary magic words to create and manage one in a given language.
This. Gimme some!
But muscle memory should also be connectable: reflexes lie somewhere in the brain, "muscle memory" is a misnomer, it's just unconscious memory or reflex actions. I'd love to have that when playing music, no more tedious hours practising scales and arpeggios. Well, only some, because what would be missing is muscle and body conditioning, but for some of the less physical instrument like piano or saxophone, that could give me a good jump start.
Would be a good way to give a trumpet player a busted lips and a heart attack, or or to give a guitar player bleeding fingers, though, having all that awesome repertoire with the associated muscle memory memorized and the body not conditioned...

This. Gimme some!
But muscle memory should also be connectable: reflexes lie somewhere in the brain, "muscle memory" is a misnomer, it's just unconscious memory or reflex actions. I'd love to have that when playing music, no more tedious hours practising scales and arpeggios. Well, only some, because what would be missing is muscle and body conditioning, but for some of the less physical instrument like piano or saxophone, that could give me a good jump start.
Would be a good way to give a trumpet player a busted lips and a heart attack, or or to give a guitar player bleeding fingers, though, having all that awesome repertoire with the associated muscle memory memorized and the body not conditioned...

Not just in the brain. Many of the feedback mechanisms that control human performance are in the periphery. It is not just a matter of conditioning. Elements such as inter- and intra-muscular coordination are critical to skilled performance.

Aren't these coordination issues handled by neural connections?

Aren't these coordination issues handled by neural connections?

Depends on which ones you mean and what you mean by "neural." Many of the connections which occur within the structure of the muscle itself have little in the way of active neural function.

Back
Top Bottom