• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Increasing acceptance of biological evolution in the US

I occasionally scan religious TV shows.

Today I heard something new. It is not religion that is incompatible with science, it is atheism that is incompatible with science.
Did they say all science, or True Science?
You know, science which does not conflict with a literal interpretation of The Bible is True, anything that wicked atheists cling to is a fraud?

Today I heard something new. It is not religion that is incompatible with science, it is atheism that is incompatible with science.
You know, science which does not conflict with a literal interpretation of The Bible is True, anything that wicked atheists cling to is a fraud?

The claim was all science proves god. It is the atheist conclusions that conflict with science.

I had a sinking feeling, we are pissing in the wind against mythology.

The claim was all science proves god. It is the atheist conclusions that conflict with science.

I had a sinking feeling, we are pissing in the wind against mythology.

And a severe understanding of what science is. Saying, "We don't know" neither invalidates the science nor validates any claim to know.

There was one other thing on the show. On the issue of climate change, god controls the world.

Well, not NEVER. I have seen people poo-poo these very ideas. But they offer them as obvious proof that the entire theory is foolish. "Look at a whale and a ____! Do they look related! Evolution is stupid!"
I was thinking about what Isaac Asimov described in his essay "Look Long Upon A Monkey", collected in "Of Matters Great and Small". All the indignation that he got about evolution was only about human evolution.

William Congreve Quotes - 1 Science Quotes - Dictionary of Science Quotations and Scientist Quotes -- "I confess freely to you I could never look long upon a Monkey, without very mortifying reflections." -- Letter to John Dennis (10 Jul 1695). In William Makepeace Thackeray, Lectures on the English Humourists of the Eighteenth Century (1885), 21

Back
Top Bottom