• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Indiana's new "Religious Freedom" Law

What part of this Youtube video is the law in Indiana?

The part from 0:00 to 2:17.

Yeah? Funny, I find nothing from the video in the language of the statute, which is to state the Youtube video, while edifying, isn't law, it isn't controlling, but what is law, what is controlling is the statute itself, its own words, what its words say or do not say, and not the Youtube video.

James Madison:
Can you give examples of what actions or activities this law will address?

Jimmy Higgins said:
The Federal RFRA didn't introduce the concept that corporations are people. It'd be erroneous to say otherwise. Without the incredibly insane jump by 5 Justices on SCOTUS, it wouldn't have applied.
Incorrect for reasons previously stated.

Second, your comment is irrelevant because the fact is RIGHT NOW the federal RFRA and the Indiana RFRA provide protection to for profit corporations. You were wrong to claim otherwise.
Your statement does not conflict with what I said. The original RFRA did not extend religious rights onto non-anthropomorphic entities.

You are trying to draw attention away from the Senate Amendment and what this bill is really about. Feel free to continue to try.
No, I am attempting to provide some rationality to your irrational diatribe about this law.
You do know what a diatribe is right? Typically involves ranting, raving, nonsensical speech, kind of long. See Sarah Palin speech

An attempt was made by Senate Democrats to insert language into the bill to indicate that this would not be used to trim civil rights or gay rights. That went down 40 to 10. Now the Indiana Congress and Governor are working very hard to make it seem like that this was never about trimming back rights at all. Their voting record is established. We know what this bill was designed for.

- - - Updated - - -

My goodness you do not get it. The Indiana judiciary can, under the state RFRA, follow the state of Washington's approach and rule...
The law doesn't mean they have to. That's the complaint!
1.) The law prohibiting discrimination is a compelling state interest 2.) There aren't any alternatives to achieving the compelling state interest and therefore, 3.) The corporation loses and cannot find refuge for its action under Indiana's RFRA.
In Indiana the state law gives a corporation personhood. The comparison with Washington is void.

Second, the Washington case involved a business and the lady asserted the state's RFRA as refuge for her business' refusal of service and the Washington judge applied the analytical framework for evaluating in the state's RFRA as applied to her business. So it is not at all clear the Washington law does not protect corporations or for profit corporations but the Indiana law does when quite possibly they both do and in the Washington case, the business lost.
If it did you'd have cited it.

The part from 0:00 to 2:17.

Yeah? Funny, I find nothing from the video in the language of the statute, which is to state the Youtube video, while edifying, isn't law, it isn't controlling, but what is law, what is controlling is the statute itself, its own words, what its words say or do not say, and not the Youtube video.

Who cares if Clark used the language of the law in that video? He was talking about the law and is urging members of the Indiana state legislature not to clarify that the law does not allow discrimination because "that could totally destroy the bill."

Who cares if Clark used the language of the law in that video? He was talking about the law and is urging members of the Indiana state legislature not to clarify that the law does not allow discrimination because "that could totally destroy the bill."
Oh, that could be taken to mean anything. ;)

Looks like he is advocating a fix to this "totally non-discrimination" law to prevent discrimination.
:hitsthefan:
CNN said:
(CNN)Gov. Mike Pence pledged Tuesday to "fix" Indiana's controversial religious freedom law to clarify that it does not allow discrimination against gays and lesbians.

He "pledged".

James Madison:

The Governor of Indiana can't, so I doubt James can.
The Governor of Indiana is politician. James Madison is a practicing attorney with a demonstrated interest in these types of questions. So I am interested in what he might have to say on this.

Looks like he is advocating a fix to this "totally non-discrimination" law to prevent discrimination.
:hitsthefan:
CNN said:
(CNN)Gov. Mike Pence pledged Tuesday to "fix" Indiana's controversial religious freedom law to clarify that it does not allow discrimination against gays and lesbians.

He "pledged".
Man, too bad the Republicans in the Indiana Senate voted against Amendment 4.
Amendment 4 said:
MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Senate Bill 101 be amended to read as follows:
1 Page 1, line 5, after "1." insert " (a) ".
2 Page 1, between lines 9 and 10, begin a new paragraph and insert:
3 " (b) This chapter does not apply to:
4 (1) IC 22-9-1 (Indiana civil rights law); or
5 (2) any state law or local ordinance that prohibits
6 discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. ".
(Reference is to SB 101 as printed February 20, 2015.)
Could have avoided all this silliness. And there are still people trying to support this garbage.

The word 'hysteria' is in play to the same extent as 'hysterical'. I'm not here to address the fine-point semantics of rhetoric; your phrasing is over-the-top.
Apparently you are not here to precisely address my point. Its not about any one person's alleged hyperbole it is about "an over-the-top 'hysterical social and moral mania' - the sudden creation of mass hatred, intolerance, and the promotion of mass shaming based on imaginary hobgoblins."

If you wish to derail this into a whining about a poster's style, rather than addressing his argument, I am not interested. We are here to discuss issues.

Eich, creator of Javascript and a co-founder of Mozilla held a private and personal view of marriage.

No, Eich financially supported a campaign for a state ballot measure on marriage, which was his right, yet is stronger than merely holding a view.
No? You must have intended to say "yes, you are correct Max - Eich held a private and personal view of marriage." And if you had bothered to read a few sentences further, you have also noted that I told you that he also donated to Prop 8. And no one claimed otherwise.

There is no point in making an issue out of a non-issue.

After the board asked him to take the CEO job in 2014, the lynching movement restarted the same day. OkCupid and two gay application developers (outside of Mozilla) declared a boycott of Mozilla, and demanded termination (or failing that, at least his removal from top posts).

They had the right to disapprove and boycott, which ultimately was less offensive than supporting Prop. 8, not because of the stance on gay rights, but because the boycott only required people exercising their own right not to support the company in connection with Eich; they didn't campaign for legislation to prejudicially disqualify from serving as CEO, as far as I recall.
No one claimed that they did not have a right to encourage and be a part of the gay-stopo lynch mob, what I am claiming is that it was the wrong thing for them to do. When a culture gets to the point that others should be driven from private jobs because of their personal conviction then they have crossed the line.

What followed was a modern replay of the dynamics behind all social and moral witch hunts (be it Salem or Moscow 1938) - a bandwagon explosion of savage and intolerant condemnation of the "evil" and sinister wrongdoer, incessant calls for punishment, threats if punishment is not forthcoming, and a full confession and recantation by the wrongdoer or ELSE....For such fanaticism there is NO room for conversation, arguments, or reason.

What am I supposed to do with that? Say "Nuh-uh"? I've yet to encounter any social/ political movement where some of its membership doesn't fit that description, yet the bulk of people supporting the boycott likely never got to voice their line of reasoning or meaningfully engage in the conversation. I, personally, did not support the boycott, but I can only address arguments made and not some convenient and cartoonish characterization of the people making those arguments or supporting the boycott in general.
Since the characterization of the actions of those who created, participated, or complied in the public lynching IS THE ISSUE then if yo think that most of the critics were conversational and reasonable, then demonstrate it.

Eich was hounded from this company for only one reason: his off-work place political view was discovered and in spite of shaming he failed to grovel and recant. In the end he had no choice but to resign, given the demands of the lynch mob and Mozilla's spineless handling of the issue with its own employees.

He had the choice to step down into a position which would pay a shit load more than I make and probably have better job security.
Dodging. In other words, "Yes Max, he was hounded from the company he co-founded because of his political view".

No state RFRA is identical to another state or the federal RFRA, but that is not why the gay crazies and the straight left is throwing a giant hissy-fit of rage. It is because someone rang the dinner bell and the low reasoning emotive drones launch. They don't really care what the law says - someone, somewhere, screamed it is going to cause discrimination against gays and idiots are eager to believe anything that starts a crusade...in this case against Indiana.

You are presuming motives which is a useless path to take. On one hand you fault the overreactions of gay rights advocates for mischaracterizing the legislation, and on the other you're using outlandish characterizations which are based on what? Anecdotal experience? Opinions voiced in popular media and social media? Some uncannily deep understanding of the human psyche? Just saying shit 'cause you don't like them or want to be contrarian? What? You know what, scratch that. I don't care. It's a dead end conversation with no resolution in sight.
Dodging again. Unless one is comatose, we've seen the over-reactions and outright fabrications of nonsense. Either you are denying these reactions are widespread in the opposition or you are playing the "I hear no, see no, speak no" game. Which is it?

Regardless of those people, religious opposition and religious rights arguments have been at the heart of the LGBT rights debate. RFRAs may not have proven the best tactic against anti-discrimination policy in modern history, they have at times been part of the narrative. ... Now I agree that the RFRA is not quite the monster it's made out to be, but that doesn't mean people are idiots for having at least some measure of concern. In a time where it makes more sense to strengthen anti-discrimination measures, Indiana chose to enact legislation with somewhat fuzzy limits which won't settle until the legislation is scrapped, better legislation is written, or courts settle the matter. It was an unwise course of action at best.

It was only "unwise" because of the absurdity of social mania's whose outbreak of hysteria is unpredictable, and who unreason is never held accountable by those who should know better. Perhaps because they have been winning, the gay rights movement has reached a point of hair trigger hysteria, fearful that someone, somewhere, might find a way to exempt a baker or photographer from servitude to gay weddings.

Idiot mob manipulators like media matters and think progress are doing its usual dishonest job. But when people of stature willfully and cynically make hypocritical statements intended to 'join the bandwagon' it just pushes us that much further down the road of polarization and dishonorable role modeling.

Last edited:
Apparently you are not here to precisely address my point. Its not about any one person's alleged hyperbole it is about "an over-the-top 'hysterical social and moral mania' - the sudden creation of mass hatred, intolerance, and the promotion of mass shaming based on imaginary hobgoblins."
So like the Republican Governor who is demanding the legislation be modified with text similar to that rejected by the Indiana Senate, he is overreacting and full of hysteria?
Idiot mob manipulators like media matters and think progress are doing its usual dishonest job. But when people of stature willfully and cynically make statements intended to 'join the bandwagon' it just pushes us that much further down the road of polarization and dishonorable role modeling.
Except for the minor problem of Amendment 4 being rejected by the Indiana Senate Republicans. Why vote against that amendment, if the purpose of the bill isn't in conflict with it?

No? You must have intended to say "yes, you are correct Max - Eich held a private and personal view of marriage." And if you had bothered to read a few sentences further, you have also noted that I told you that he also donated to Prop 8. And no one claimed otherwise.

Sorry, I didn't intend to phrase it that way to pretend you were denying he donated. It's because you make it out as if people are bitching about difference of political opinion when the reality is, the crux of the matter came down to his actions. It is in reference to this, "Eich was hounded from this company for only one reason: his off-work place political view was discovered," but admittedly the sloppiness falls on my part.

Dodging. In other words, "Yes Max, he was hounded from the company he co-founded because of his political view.

Except he wasn't. Unless you have something factual indicating Mozilla's offer of continued employment was fraudulent, there is no reason to presume other wise. He may have had little choice in stepping aside as CEO in practice, but he was not hounded out of the company. Whether it is pleasant or not, he could have retained a well-paid position within the company. The public exerted no authority or force here.

When a culture gets to the point that others should be driven from private jobs because of their personal conviction then they have crossed the line.

He wasn't driven out for a personal conviction. This is an over-dramatized characterization on your part no less severe that the behaviour you attribute to RFRA detractors. It astounds me that even if you were correct, you're characterizing one of the least obtrusive acts of discrimination on the face of the planet as a 'lynching'. That's the best case scenario for you. I mean, you characterize one party as the "gay-stapo" and this is the evidence you produce of their harm? Do you understand that lynching and the Gestapo were real things orders of magnitude more severe than what amounts to a man having to step into a different, yet lucrative role because customers don't want to support a company with leadership which acts against their own interests (sure, even if it was in his private life and not in his capacity as a CEO).

Since the characterization of the actions of those who created, participated, or complied in the public lynching IS THE ISSUE then if yo think that most of the critics were conversational and reasonable, then demonstrate it.

I have no obligation to do so. I am saying it's not reasonably demonstrable in either direction, and the evidence you've provided so far is incorrect at worst and paltry at best.

Dodging again. Unless one is comatose, we've seen the over-reactions and outright fabrications of nonsense. Either you are denying these reactions are widespread in the opposition or you are playing the "I hear no, see no, speak no" game. Which is it?

As I stated, this sort of thing ordinarily occurs to some extent in most social and political movements, but to what extent it represents the greater movement is unknown. Unless you can substantiate your view that it is widespread, it's a non-starter. You can go with hyperbole and pejoratives against supposed lynchers if you like, but without something of substance, it's hollow sentiments which I would have thought, from your perspective, would just be more steps down the "road of polarization and dishonorable role modeling."

It was only "unwise" because of the absurdity of social mania's whose outbreak of hysteria is unpredictable,

It's unwise because the legislation seems to be no more necessary than the public outcry against that very same legislation.

I admire your efforts, Krypton, but please save yourself the energy. Certain posters will always twist any story of discrimination into a claim of persecution of whites, the rich, police, or Christians, pretty much any person or group that enjoys some level of power, especially when the power is used to discriminate.

So like the Republican Governor who is demanding the legislation be modified with text similar to that rejected by the Indiana Senate, he is overreacting and full of hysteria?
Idiot mob manipulators like media matters and think progress are doing its usual dishonest job. But when people of stature willfully and cynically make statements intended to 'join the bandwagon' it just pushes us that much further down the road of polarization and dishonorable role modeling.
Except for the minor problem of Amendment 4 being rejected by the Indiana Senate Republicans. Why vote against that amendment, if the purpose of the bill isn't in conflict with it?

If the left is overreacting and misinterpreting this law then blame should also be put on conservative Christians because they seem to believe the same things about this law as the left. Take a look at the quotes about "religious freedom" which we all know means refusing to do business with gays. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pence-answers-critics-2016-potential-candidates-respond-to-indiana-law/

Last edited:
Incorrect for reasons previously stated.

Second, your comment is irrelevant because the fact is RIGHT NOW the federal RFRA and the Indiana RFRA provide protection to for profit corporations. You were wrong to claim otherwise.
Your statement does not conflict with what I said. The original RFRA did not extend religious rights onto non-anthropomorphic entities.

You are trying to draw attention away from the Senate Amendment and what this bill is really about. Feel free to continue to try.
No, I am attempting to provide some rationality to your irrational diatribe about this law.
You do know what a diatribe is right? Typically involves ranting, raving, nonsensical speech, kind of long. See Sarah Palin speech

An attempt was made by Senate Democrats to insert language into the bill to indicate that this would not be used to trim civil rights or gay rights. That went down 40 to 10. Now the Indiana Congress and Governor are working very hard to make it seem like that this was never about trimming back rights at all. Their voting record is established. We know what this bill was designed for.

- - - Updated - - -

My goodness you do not get it. The Indiana judiciary can, under the state RFRA, follow the state of Washington's approach and rule...
1.) The law prohibiting discrimination is a compelling state interest 2.) There aren't any alternatives to achieving the compelling state interest and therefore, 3.) The corporation loses and cannot find refuge for its action under Indiana's RFRA.
In Indiana the state law gives a corporation personhood. The comparison with Washington is void.

Second, the Washington case involved a business and the lady asserted the state's RFRA as refuge for her business' refusal of service and the Washington judge applied the analytical framework for evaluating in the state's RFRA as applied to her business. So it is not at all clear the Washington law does not protect corporations or for profit corporations but the Indiana law does when quite possibly they both do and in the Washington case, the business lost.
If it did you'd have cited it.

The original RFRA did not extend religious rights onto non-anthropomorphic entities.

Original RFRA? I wasn't aware there have been subsequent RFRAs passes, oh wait, the RFRA of 1993 is still the RFRA of today. So your comment about "original" is non-sense.

Furthermore, the Dictionary Act defines the word "person" for all federal law when and where the federal law does not itself define the word "person." The RFRA does not define the word "person" and as a result, the Dictionary Act definition of the word "person," which includes corporations, is the applicable meaning of the word "person" in the federal RFRA. This was true in 1993. So, contrary to your most erroneous assertions, the RFRA in 1993 protected corporations as the Dictionary Act definition of "person" was the applicable meaning for the word "person" in the RFRA, and the Dictionary Act meaning of the word "person" included corporations. However, I suspect you will remain undaunted in your endeavor to reiterate the same erroneous point as before, which is the federal RFRA does not/did not protect corporations. You were wrong to make this statement before, you are still wrong, and you will be wrong again in the future when you repeat it.

No I am not prescient in asserting you will repeat this erroneous point again, well maybe a little prescient.

Their voting record is established. We know what this bill was designed for.

The plain text of the law provides nothing more than the analytical framework for courts to apply and following in evaluating and assessing state laws burdening the exercise of religion. Read the statute as opposed to guessing what the statute says.

Interesting, the analytical framework is identical between the Indiana RFRA and the federal RFRA. Why wasn't the same complaint alleged in regards to the federal RFRA? The state of Washington has the identical analytical framework as the Indiana RFRA and the federal RFRA and yet, no such allegation was made in regards to the Washington RFRA law and the courts there, at least a trial court, has applied the analytical framework of Washington's RFRA to deny refuge from the state's anti-discrimination laws.

Furthermore, the notion anti-discrimination laws are a compelling state interest is not some novelty in the legal field. The legal field has held the belief and opinion, in particular the judiciary of many jurisdictions, anti-discrimination laws are a compelling state interest. IIRC, the Indiana courts have made similar rulings (I'll do research again to make sure my recollection is accurate). So your complaint isn't very convincing.

The comparison cannot be void when a business in the state of Washington invoked the state's RFRA as a defense and the trial court analyzed the defense through the lens and analytical framework of the state's RFRA. If the state of Washington's RFRA was inapplicable to businesses then the trial court would have never engaged the analytical framework of Washington's RFRA to assess the business' claim and defense under the state's RFRA statute. Your retort the "comparison with Washington is void" is what is actually void, void for non-sense, void for ignoring the facts of the Washington case, void for being inconsistent with what the Washington trial court did in the case.

James Madison:

The accurate answer is the law provides the analytical framework the courts are to apply when evaluating a claim some state law, or government action, regulation, administrative rule, action, is alleged to substantially burden the exercise of religion. Prior to the passage of this law the Indiana judiciary was not required to analyze claims a state law/govt action/regulation or administrative rule through the analytical framework of requiring the govt./law/etcetera, to have a compelling state interest and there aren't alternative means to accomplishing the state interest.

So this law informs the judiciary of the analytical framework it is to apply and follow for those claims the exercise of religion is substantially burdened by the government.

Would you like some examples of some of causes of action that could be raised under the statute?

Sorry, I didn't intend to phrase it that way to pretend you were denying he donated. It's because you make it out as if people are bitching about difference of political opinion when the reality is, the crux of the matter came down to his actions.
Thanks for the clarification. I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree. I understand that one of the arguments has been that his 'sin' was not in his having a conviction, but in his donating to others for the purpose of presenting their mutual conviction to voters.

I don't find that to be a distinction of merit, and in any case it does not justify his persecution. Even in the most totalitarian and brutal regimes a person can hold private convictions. What gets someone in trouble is when they exercise their right to express their opinion (directly or through support of other like minded). And when others then seek to suppress such speech, including suppressing access to material support of communicating such speech, they are doing so because that person has publically adopted a threatening and heretical view. He dares to expressed his conviction on a proposed law.

Of course he was hounded for his revealed convictions. And should you still doubt it, remember that others (perhaps unintentionally) confirmed it in their coverage of the story. Kara Swisher of Re/Code wrote in the aftermath: "Throughout the interviews, it was not hard to get the sense that Eich really wanted to stick strongly by his views about gay marriage...Instead, he tried to unsuccessfully hedge those sentiments and, perhaps more importantly, did not seem to understand that he might have to pay the inevitable price for having them. Thus, something had to give — and it did."

Rarebit, firefox application developers, helped lead the public outrage. After Eich's resignation, they at least had the decency to say that they didn't expect that it would come to this...and wrote: "People think we were upset about his past vote. Instead we were more upset with his current and continued unwillingness to discuss the issue with empathy. Seriously, we assumed that he would reconsider his thoughts on the impact of the law (not his personal beliefs), issue an apology, and then he’d go on to be a great CEO.

The fact it ever went this far is really disturbing to us."

So, it turns out that Eich might have kept his job had he had repented and recanted his beliefs and support, as all heretics must. But he did not (at least not to the satisfaction of his persecutors.).

Dodging. In other words, "Yes Max, he was hounded from the company he co-founded because of his political view.

Except he wasn't. Unless you have something factual indicating Mozilla's offer of continued employment was fraudulent, there is no reason to presume other wise.
He was hounded out by the public campaign to have him either fired or demoted from top management positions. The board, having horribly managed the crisis, created new hysteria among some divided staff. In the end, they told him take a demotion or else.

Sure sounds like hounding to me. Had the gay-techie left acted with a tad more tolerance and maturity, it would have never come to this. And, I might add, had Eich not been a man of character and taken the high road those moral pygmies in Mozilla might have been taken to the cleaners.

As a former union president, I am very familiar with the demotion as a fraudulent form of "constructive termination or discharge". Being demoted due to no actions of his would usually be considered a forced resignation. If an employee is compelled to resign because his employer has been negligent and created intolerable working conditions, or hostility from the employer is directed at the employee, or the employee is “demoted” for reasons other than conduct or performance, a claim could be made that he/she was constructively wrongfully discharged even though he/she resigned.

And as political activity is a protected activity in California, ANY negative action by Mozilla in response to his beliefs or actions is begging for a wide open suit. Given that it is likely he had an employment contract on or before he was appointed, unless he violated that contract he could have severely damaged Mozilla.

When a culture gets to the point that others should be driven from private jobs because of their personal conviction then they have crossed the line.

... This is an over-dramatized characterization on your part no less severe that the behaviour you attribute to RFRA detractors. It astounds me that even if you were correct, you're characterizing one of the least obtrusive acts of discrimination on the face of the planet as a 'lynching'. That's the best case scenario for you. I mean, you characterize one party as the "gay-stapo" and this is the evidence you produce of their harm? Do you understand that lynching and the Gestapo were real things orders of magnitude more severe than what amounts to a man having to step into a different, yet lucrative role because customers don't want to support a company with leadership which acts against their own interests (sure, even if it was in his private life and not in his capacity as a CEO).

When someone of Eichs unblemished conduct at Mozilla is accused (at the Daily Beast) to be "the same as Donald Sperling" (a real bigot), when OKCupid writes that "he is our enemy, we wish nothing but pain, misery, and failure", when many bury Mozilla in hate mail (as Andrew Sullivan was buried when he dared to defend Eich) then if that is not a metaphorical "lynching", what is? A campaign of love letters?

Hell ya he was being lynched, THAT was the whole point of the campaign. And yes, I not only know the difference between the real gestapo and the gaystapo, I also know the difference between a private citizen quietly exercising his right to donate to a proposition AND a bunch of thugs acting like he is an existential threat to the moral and political order of the high tech industry.

It was only "unwise" because of the absurdity of social mania's whose outbreak of hysteria is unpredictable,

It's unwise because the legislation seems to be no more necessary than the public outcry against that very same legislation.

I might have agreed, until I read the reactions to the op in this thread. The only problem with the Indiana law is that it is far to timid.

No one claimed that they did not have a right to encourage and be a part of the gay-stopo lynch mob, what I am claiming is that it was the wrong thing for them to do. When a culture gets to the point that others should be driven from private jobs because of their personal conviction then they have crossed the line.

Ludicrous. Do you even believe the words as you type them?

It is not morally wrong to withhold resources from a company you disagree with morally, and no amount of quoting from your gay conservative poster boy can change that. It isn't even wrong if you are wrong about the morality of the company, since you had no moral obligation to support the company in the first place.

Or, let me put it another way. It is not morally wrong for Christians to boycott Disney because they think 'Frozen' emasculates boys and Disney doesn't torch homosexuals at the stake, even though the Christians are wrong (about the facts and the moral implication of those facts).

It is also not morally wrong to let people know the reason you're boycotting them, and what behaviours would make you not boycott them.

The boycotters did nothing morally wrong, but Eich did.

Back
Top Bottom