• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Industrial Music Fans?

There are obscure projects on Wax Trax that will be ahead of their time 20 years from now. I love the slicky sleeves the records came in. The jackets had a strange chemical smell that I became accustomed to like Topps bubble gum. I've managed to keep them and who knows, maybe my grandson's eye-pod will be playing some of it someday.

I like the guitar element FLA started using because it was sampled and tightly trucuted in the most professional way possible, like you said. The pitch was stretched and it wasn't accompaniment guitar, it was a bunch of cool ass sampling. FLA to me ws in their prime around Provision, Mental Distortion era. Back when a song would sound completely sinister on dual playback speeds. I "broke in" new places I moved into by playing the Provision song on both speeds, as well as backwards. Hello neighbors, sucks to be you apparently. I stopped liking guitar in Industrial when I heard The Process by the Godfathers. There is a nice goodbye feel to that CD but there was of course no way an institution like SP could cease to be. The skinny jeans dig it too. It just seems to be timeless music.

KMFDM didn't really appeal to me because the singer was mostly talking. The synthetic riffs were as good as it could get and the female voice floating around in their unique production technique was sweet, but I never had the shirt.

I probably couldn't catch ColdWaves show any time in the realistic future but I would absolutely love to. Didn't even know about it so thank you. There are some festivals near here and the last real act I saw was Frozen Rabbit. I denied the rave drugs and attended tent festivals to see stuff like that. I got close enough to see technique. It was a DJ thing, really. Realtime industrial is not a board of circuits and some dudes trying to hold huge headphones on their heads and waving their hands. Phil Western was supposedly present at one show but I could never say for sure. Chris Connelly was doing an Irish drinking song with 3 drum sets like the one he did on Murder Incorporated. I never heard the words "we're here to fuck you over" which was disappointing. I don't know which festival that was but it was entertaining.

You're right about the bands surging toward radio worthy albums and I know the millisecond it happened. "Cool bleeps and bloops" haha. Industrial in the rawest form is not radio worthy because it has a hidden scripture that prevents it as an art form to be understood, because the machine can't think like a man and a man can't think like a machine. One can only mock the other. That is something a mass of people simply can not read, or hear on the radio at work all day. "Is there something wrong with the car?" It would just never fly, so me bringing up mainstream industrial might not have made sense.

The Genesis quote yeah, Genesis is right on point. I think it is sad that one of the last videos I saw of the individual was on "Oddities", a show about strange objects being sold at a quaint store. It is easy to find and I won't disgrace the individual by linking it. Heroin breaks down cool people. Genesis in it's time was one of the coolest beings God made. I can not say "man" of course. I hear that voice on command in my own mind any time I like. Such an eerie, mysterious and wise voice Genesis had.

"I know what it is to burn" was said in the tape deck for a long time and appealed to anyone who rode in the vehicle. Drown appealed to my X Marks the Pedwalk taste but was vastly different in sound of course. Had there been a bit of sanity in the X Marks' content and a pile of guitars plus seriously well thought out lyrics, maybe you'd have Drown. That was how I saw it at the time, anyway. Things become hazy in time. There is some painfully good Drown work that more people should check out.

Last edited:
Great article posted on AV Club:
Geek obsession: Industrial

Why it’s daunting: Industrial was never meant to inviting. A form of music spun off in the ’70s from post-punk, krautrock, and a morbid fascination with the mechanized dehumanization of the 20th century, the genre pounded away in self-manufactured obscurity for decades before Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and the one-hit wonder Rammstein helped launch it into the mainstream (thanks to an infusion of heavy metal and/or pop). It never dwelled comfortably there, though, and since its brief ’90s heyday, industrial has retreated into the same shadows where goth lurks. A small-scale resurgence is currently underway thanks to new groups like Youth Code and Yvette, and reissues of classic albums by groundbreaking groups such as Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire are continually being released. And subgenres like power electronics and EBM (Electronic Body Music) have continued to be reassessed and reincorporated into everything from metal to shoegaze.

Here's the rest:
http://http://www.avclub.com/article/where-start-harsh-mechanized-beat-industrial-206269

gotta love when people without much idea of WTF they're talking about write an article trying to be some kind of guide book to a subject they're totally waffling on.

gotta love when people without much idea of WTF they're talking about write an article trying to be some kind of guide book to a subject they're totally waffling on.

The fact that you used 'waffling' in a post is enough for me. Fuck that article.
any time an article about "industrial" music starts off with "you could begin by listening to pretty hate machine, but it's pretty mainstream" you're off to a bad start, seeing as how that album is not even remotely industrial.

Back
Top Bottom