• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Industrial Music Fans?

Celldweller

Basic Beliefs
Book of Leviathan
Gonna piggy-back off the metal thread and dive right into my wheelhouse. Any fans of the industrial/electro/cyberwhateverthefuck super-sub genres, let's hear from ya.

If you've followed the genre since it's peak during the 90's, any new bands that seem to have propelled the genre forward in your opinion? Top 5? And no, before anyone asks, wearing a gas mask and neon lights in your dreadlocks is never cool, under any circumstances, at any concert.

I'll throw a few down:
16 Volt - everything they put out
Hate Dept. - everything but the last album
KMFDM - WWIII, NIHIL and ANGST
Vigilante
Sybreed (disgusted that they broke up)
Circle of Dust/Celldweller (of course)

I'm a very opinionated Industrial fan. Thank you for starting this thread man! I have a theory about what happened to the genre. I rarely get to talk about dust because no one knows what the hell I'm talking about. Well, they rarely know what I'm talking about anyway. The theory starts with Skinny Puppy and ends with Nine Inch Nails.

Skinny Puppy man... when I think of the origin and epitome - they are IT to me. I'm not saying Skinny Puppy, Orgre, Cevin and all of their side projects had the most influence on industrial music, but yes, I am saying that Skinny puppy and all associated with it's members are the most powerful force in what was industrial. I have to say was because good industrial is gone. Now it is just an "influence". One reason for that is the evolution of music technology was whiplashed in the past couple decades. It was once very cool to hear a new synth model that someone spent months of their life perfecting. Now it isn't "cool" to create a synth model that took 0.4 seconds on a computer program that has raped the integrity of what industrial music was.

You know dubstep, right? Very cool sounding to me, and I like some dubstep artists because they are very technical. Overall, however... It is very easy to make cool sounds using technology that has bloomed so much during the decades following Industrial's popularity and that makes dubstep and it's creators trite and uninspired. It once was very hard to make those sounds. Front Line Assembly. Nurse with Wound, VnV Nation, Pigface and the other larger acts that spread out to represent a hundred bands... well they spent months perfecting certain sounds that can be made in seconds now. It almost seems unfair.

I didn't mention NIN among those bands of integrity because Reznor started his hideous conquest a time when there was no sexy figurehead with the technological know-how and equipment who could cash in on something that by nature was intended (in unspoken ways) to remain underground and obscure. One thing I liked about Industrial was that it was exclusive and mysterious. It was a "certain type" of person who fully appreciated Industrial music and ironically they were all people with whom I clicked with immediately. I have friends today, decades later, that I met because of the song -stairs- and flowers-. I'd say those words and someone would be spilling a drink on me and smiling. They still spill drinks on me, but there is a lot less smiling when that happens. The thing about Trent Reznor, and I quote a friend who said this long ago... "He exploited, raped and ruined everything about Industrial. He made everything good about it bad". I agree with that. Reznor was , and is a genius but he is a theif. Everything he did in his rise to stardom was theivery. I know that music evolves and all that, but Reznor STOLE riffs, synth modeling, stage looks, singing styles and pretty much everything else that made him famous.

There are few left, but the dust buddies I still have in my daily life will all agree that the death of industrial music was Nine Inch Nails. Arguable point to say the least. As an electronic musician I have great respect for Rez but as a music lover in general and what I consider the first and last wave of real Industrial fans, I think that he is a disease that has hopefully died artistically. Not just in remission, as musicians seem to enter. I hope he never releases another recording again. If he drops another full album I'll say "aint it dead yet?Sorry, I had to put a Skinny Puppy pun in this post somewhere :p

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6mEeqeQ_2o[/YOUTUBE]

I read an interview a very long time ago that the song Stairs and Flowers was the late Dwayne Goettel's attempt to exemplify how damn easy it was getting to make music. By overdoing the drum machine and vocal samples he made a joke like that in of some songs. I got the point at the time but only understood the point of the point much, much later when things like dubstep invaded my life. The hook, or "drop" as the little dubsteppers would call it - very pleasing to me actually. The point behind the existence of the song goes unheard to an irritated girlfriend who has to hear it every few days. She can kiss my ass because Skinny Puppy is more important to me than she is. ;)

"He exploited, raped and ruined everything about Industrial. He made everything good about it bad". I agree with that. Reznor was , and is a genius but he is a theif. Everything he did in his rise to stardom was theivery. I know that music evolves and all that, but Reznor STOLE riffs, synth modeling, stage looks, singing styles and pretty much everything else that made him famous.
he totally did, yeah... but then what he stole, he did 1,000 times better than anyone else was doing it, so i think it becomes an interesting question as to whether or not it really makes any difference.
fightin' words for the internet age: this is totally subjective and obviously i can't make a declaration like this completely seriously... but NIN's worst song is almost infinitely better than SP's best song on basically every possible level.

for me, my taste preferences skew a fair bit more towards darkwave and EBM, but even there the subgenres have split out so much and it feels like no new bands are coming up behind the heavy-hitters that got the whole ball rolling.
best acts within the genre of the last 10 years?
VNV Nation
Covenant
Neuroticfish
Apoptygma Berserk
Seabound
Funker Vogt

more recent stuff is quite a bit more scattershot and it's getting harder to find something with a heavy edge to it that isn't synth noise - i'm not very fond of the Aggrotek movement, but it has its moments.
Combichrist is often hit or miss, and i have to say i really wish he'd stayed with the direction he was going in with Icon of Coil.
rotersand, the retrosic, suicide commando, encephalon, and wumpscut are all putting out some pretty stuff still as well.

i also really want to like imperative reaction, but they're basically the Stabbing Westward of electropop so there's only so much of that you can stand before you punch a love-struck teenager in the kidneys.

As an electronic musician I have great respect for Rez but as a music lover in general and what I consider the first and last wave of real Industrial fans, I think that he is a disease that has hopefully died artistically. Not just in remission, as musicians seem to enter. I hope he never releases another recording again. If he drops another full album I'll say "aint it dead yet?Sorry, I had to put a Skinny Puppy pun in this post somewhere :p
that happened about 14 years old, actually - nin put out 4 good albums (one of which i will maintain is the single greatest musical creation in the whole of human history) and a handful of remix/side albums, and then turned into what basically would happen if U2 and AFI randomly shuffled members and made a new band.
albums are being put out by the guy under the band name, but that ship has long since sailed and then hit an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the atlantic.

Someone once said that industrial music is the sound society makes as it comes apart, although I prefer to think of it as the inevitable result of musicians deciding that the texture of each sound is more important than how those sounds are arranged to make rhythms or melodies.

Someone once said that industrial music is the sound society makes as it comes apart, although I prefer to think of it as the inevitable result of musicians deciding that the texture of each sound is more important than how those sounds are arranged to make rhythms or melodies.

Lucky for you - being in the Chicago suburbs, you live in the one of the last mecca's for (good, bad or indifferent) industrial music. Not sure where I stand on the NIN issue, I was never a diehard fan and it didn't help that their .1% of their songs garnered so much radio-play back in the 90's that every jock, hipster and goth geek decided to start wearing their t-shirts. I always felt Reznor was at his peak when he was on the sauce. Now..not so much. "Fixed" was my go-to album for NIN and was rarely impressed with anything beyond that.

IMO, what also added to the demise of industrial music was the mega-success of Marilyn Manson. Great live show indeed and plenty of talent on board but again, butchered by standing on the shoulders of giants and mainstreaming the industrial sound to a bland level.

VNV Nation
Covenant
Neuroticfish
Apoptygma Berserk
Seabound
Funker Vogt

Concur. Covenant ranks at the top for me.

Aggrotek movement

Aggrotek, that's a new one for me. Who falls in this super-sub-supra genre? Icon of Coil-esque bands? Fucking love me some IOC.

i also really want to like imperative reaction, but they're basically the Stabbing Westward of electropop so there's only so much of that you can stand before you punch a love-struck teenager in the kidneys.

I was hooked on their first album. THey had a sound that was reminiscent of Diatribe which is a band that left the scene way too early. However, it's too formulaic to give these guys anymore of my money.

Scattershot
If this isn't the name of a band, it should be.

SP - "Weapon" bored me. "The Greater Right Of The Wrong" I thought was superb.

Feck, so much to say here.
Who read Al Jourgenson's book?

Aggrotek, that's a new one for me. Who falls in this super-sub-supra genre? Icon of Coil-esque bands? Fucking love me some IOC.
not exactly, though IoC is weirdly involved.
okay so IoC was started by Andy LaPlegua - and IoC itself i'd put more squarely in the general 'darkwave/synthpop' category, along with VNV and covenant and the like.
several years back Andy LaPlegua started up a side project called Combichrist, which was much more in the distorted vocals/sampling/electro-industrial noise direction than IoC - think Velvet Acid Christ only with some stank on it.
eventually he just abandoned IoC entirely and Combichrist has since become his full time band.

other bands in the Aggrotek strata:
early imperative reaction
suicide commando
aesthetic perfection
grendel
hocico
taktical sekt
the retrosic
die sektor
i'd also very tentatively put wumpscut in this list, but really that is like... the missing link in the evolutionary chain between darkwave and aggrotek, it really depends on the song.

basically if you want to get a feel for aggrotech listen to the Digital Gunfire internet radio station.
real industrial radio and sanctuary radio are much more in the EBM/darkwave but they play some as well.
i've got a huge list of electro-industrial internet radio stations at home, post here or PM me if you want a link to them, or just a mega note-comparison on bands, i'm pretty heavily into the musical scene for darkwave and EBM and am aware of, i'd like to think, *most* of what's currently out there.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]I can't disagree wit that. Reznor could have contributed a little more to who he stole from but ya, cream is going to rise. NIN happened to be the best. Puppy's drug theme and Ogr's wardrobe + angelic talent is going to make you famous. I'd say more but will th word yiba suffice?

Last edited:
not exactly, though IoC is weirdly involved.
okay so IoC was started by Andy LaPlegua - and IoC itself i'd put more squarely in the general 'darkwave/synthpop' category, along with VNV and covenant and the like.
several years back Andy LaPlegua started up a side project called Combichrist, which was much more in the distorted vocals/sampling/electro-industrial noise direction than IoC - think Velvet Acid Christ only with some stank on it.
eventually he just abandoned IoC entirely and Combichrist has since become his full time band.

other bands in the Aggrotek strata:
early imperative reaction
suicide commando
aesthetic perfection
grendel
hocico
taktical sekt
the retrosic
die sektor
i'd also very tentatively put wumpscut in this list, but really that is like... the missing link in the evolutionary chain between darkwave and aggrotek, it really depends on the song.

basically if you want to get a feel for aggrotech listen to the Digital Gunfire internet radio station.
real industrial radio and sanctuary radio are much more in the EBM/darkwave but they play some as well.
i've got a huge list of electro-industrial internet radio stations at home, post here or PM me if you want a link to them, or just a mega note-comparison on bands, i'm pretty heavily into the musical scene for darkwave and EBM and am aware of, i'd like to think, *most* of what's currently out there.

Yeah, I'd be down for keeping a running list here of old/new stuff we come across and can review. IOC with Sebastian Komor - I keep hearing rumors of another album. Did you pick up their track released on the pay-what-you-want site Bandcamp?

Combichrist - dig their latest work. "From My Cold Dead Hands" is pretty killer and gives me hope that certain musicians can keep the juice flowing.

Aggrotek - Suicide Commando and Tactikal Sect are two I could never quite wrap my ear bones around. It may be because of "that level" of distortion that I never found as appealing unless there was some serious six-string Fender to back it up. However, Grendel is damn good and their live show isn't half bad either.

Panzer AG?
Who's read (or gives a shit about) Al Jourgenson's book - doesn't exactly put Chris Connelly in a great light.

Darkwave - who you got for this supra-sub-list? You mentioned Wumpscut. And you also mentioned VAC which means now, we're gettin' dirty. Speaking of VAC, I've gotta be in one semi-suicidal mood to listen to him (right? Isn't it just one guy?)

Randoms: Godflesh, Skold (pre/post KMFDM), Scorn (industrial dub?), Necro Facility

Go....but before you do, here's a random remix Klayton did of the band Asking Alexandria - some filthy elements of dub-step, industrial-esque, bubble-gum popping, picking Oxycontin out of your dreadlocks vibe. Dig it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MlVGd_5TI[/YOUTUBE]

[...]

Go....but before you do, here's a random remix Klayton did of the band Asking Alexandria - some filthy elements of dub-step, industrial-esque, bubble-gum popping, picking Oxycontin out of your dreadlocks vibe. Dig it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MlVGd_5TI[/YOUTUBE]

Bizarre!

Darkwave - who you got for this supra-sub-list?
that starts getting somewhat tricky, because this isn't exactly mainstream fare with a lot of people agreeing on specific definitions or labels, and a lot of bands tend to get blurry about their sub-genre depending on the album/song.
basically darkwave is... pop music for goths, i guess. it more or less morphed out of the new-wave movement from the 80s by way of the cure.

some notable examples of darkwave:
clan of xymox
cruxshadows (though good god do not listen to them, i fucking loathe that band - though it is a great example of the genre)
attrition
switchblade symphony
diary of dreams
wolfsheim
beborn beton
namnambulu
some very early apoptygma berserk could also probably fit in here

Darkwave - who you got for this supra-sub-list?
that starts getting somewhat tricky, because this isn't exactly mainstream fare with a lot of people agreeing on specific definitions or labels, and a lot of bands tend to get blurry about their sub-genre depending on the album/song.
basically darkwave is... pop music for goths, i guess. it more or less morphed out of the new-wave movement from the 80s by way of the cure.

some notable examples of darkwave:
clan of xymox
cruxshadows (though good god do not listen to them, i fucking loathe that band - though it is a great example of the genre)
attrition
switchblade symphony
diary of dreams
wolfsheim
beborn beton
namnambulu
some very early apoptygma berserk could also probably fit in here

Blamo. I think you nailed it. I've been a huge fan of Wolfsheim and it's too bad they don't put out material anymore. Though I believe they go under the name Schiller, which is pretty good stuff. Cruxshadows, holy fuck sticks they are terrible. Saw them live about 8 years ago when they opened up for KMFDM. Switchblade Symphony...meh. Diary of Dreams is good, a kind of stripped down Conjure One, no? Speaking of, Rhys Fulber may be god-like but Chris Peterson is not far behind when it comes to programming.

Additional to the list:
Psykosonik- one of top 5 of the genre. Two phenomenal albums minus one abomination of a track. If you know them, guess which one.
In Strict Confidence
Cesium 137
Sleepthief? - might be more EBM

The lines are so blurred to say anything is actually industrial unless you're an industrial fan, in my opinion. Anyone on this thread can get that idea I bet. I have a cd of nothing but dentist office sounds comprised as music. Drills and scrapes. Is that industrial? Another cd of Civil War battle sounds made into songs. Electric Hellfire Club is Darkwave-wise my favorite synth-based dust. some would argue they are rock. Everything follows the pulse of the devil's keyed synth so I say it is Darkwave. Pigface is my favorite beat oriented lately and as far as content and thoughtfulness I go with Puppy because I like mainstream Classics. Not for any particular reason. I change my mind a lot. Someone said "rivet head" industrial the other day and I said hold on, is that something you made up? I don't know of any music that has so many sub genres. Rock maybe but damn, apparently that is industrial now too.

Last edited:
The lines are so blurred to say anything is actually industrial unless you're an industrial fan, in my opinion. Anyone on this thread can get that idea I bet. I have a cd of nothing but dentist office sounds comprised as music. Drills and scrapes. Is that industrial? Another cd of Civil War battle sounds made into songs. Electric Hellfire Club is Darkwave-wise my favorite synth-based dust. some would argue they are rock. Everything follows the pulse of the devil's keyed synth so I say it is Darkwave. Pigface is my favorite beat oriented lately and as far as content and thoughtfulness I go with Puppy because I like mainstream Classics. Not for any particular reason. I change my mind a lot. Someone said "rivet head" industrial the other day and I said hold on, is that something you made up? I don't know of any music that has so many sub genres. Rock maybe but damn, apparently that is industrial now too.

Agreed. Speaking of Electric Hellfire Club, their guitarist just joined Skrew.

Here's an oversimplification of the genre- with or without guitars?

Agreed. Speaking of Electric Hellfire Club, their guitarist just joined Skrew.

Here's an oversimplification of the genre- with or without guitars?

I like skrew, they are some rage filled musicians. I love automated sounding guitars like Sister Machine Guns. I Saw the two play with another band called Gravity Kills somewhere at the peak of Rage industrial's thing. I guess it is still peaking but it was somehow more intense back then. Possibly because of my age and the fact that it was a relatively new type of music blend. I got heavily into the nothing Label sound. I saw Manson play and get ridiculed for sucking when he opened before Hanzel and Gretyl. It was some kind of festival, I seriously don't know where or when, but I can say early 90's. I was pretty much on the same wave mentally with that rage industrial so I drove to a lot of shows. Prick... that is an excellent industrial band. Live they didn't impress me, but I ended up with a debut cd and never stopped listening to it. Some others from Nothing too. Stuff that never got off the ground. At that point, when Reznor sat on everything and farted, I got a lot of tapes. Things that wouldn't have sounded good at the time to most, unless propagandized properly by the Nothing sound. You know, the pitch bend and synth styles? Post reznor I saw industrial as something fun. It was the most artistic thing in my life when I was about 14. An interview with cEvin Key said "The first song we ever did was called 'Canine': a vision of life as seen through a dog's muted eyes, unable to speak up except for a very loud bark. From the very beginning, our whole concept was to write every song from knee level. We figured eventually people would figure out that we're like a dog. That's how we see things." and when I read that in a magazine sent to me with tapes and pictures of girls I appreciated his work and he became my favorite artist. I read about who he worked with and Got hard into Throbbing Gristle and a lot of Orridge's scene bands. Industrial was still of course "scene" in Britain. What the hell isn't? Am I right? lol. Something changed for me hormonally around the time rage was associated with industrial, and eventually became it's backbone. It just timed out that way. I was loving the newer stuff that incorporated impossibly cool sounding guitars. They almost sounded like guitars that longed to be synthesizers, which made them even nastier. The artistic side of industrial and the wonder of experimentation was replaced by the gratification of something that "understood me". I was never much of a manson fan, but I loved going to shows during that period, which was becoming dominated by the poster child. I had a few friends who would snatch chains and take wallets from mosh pit floaters. We left shows with quite a bit of money and merchandise for drugs, which we would quickly purchase. Trent Reznor said "Yeah yeah we put a mic up in a room and had a bunch of just junk around — slats of wood, miscellaneous percussion pieces, a table. We just started banging on things, recording everything and extracting them and treating them". That statement encompassed my personal mind state. I still dig the guitar industrial. Add a guitar to any kind of music and it won't sound horrible.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw6VH8sEMxI[/YOUTUBE]

This is a perfect example of the guitar era starting. This band toured my city a lot when they were still unknowns. The guitar production is untreated overall and the music isn't guitar driven. I always liked them because they have a nice balance. I had to get the tape signed every time I saw them. Chris Randall the founder has music perfect for sitting a lady down for Champagne. It is very, very smooth electronic music. I'll find out the name of the project. They will always be known for drug rage but there is more to them than just that.

Ahhhh, Chris Randall. He's a character. I loved his Burn album. Torture Technique really got me hooked and yeah, they added the guitar element really well before it became over bearing. I wasn't surprised when SMG broke up in '07, I think Randall had run himself dry with holding on to their sound. Only so many Mortal Kombat soundtracks you can jump onto. I think you we're referring to his solo stuff which was a pretty cool departure. His project Scanalyzer wasn't half-bad, especially with Wade Alin from Christ Analogue on board. I've been meaning to check out his Micronaut project which he's pretty consistently put out year-after-year since 2005.

Guitar driven - 16 Volt is one of the best IMO, I thing that Eric Powell can do no wrong musically. Excellent live show, especially the tour where they opened up for KMFDM. I'm really looking forward to their new album which, according to Powell is, "Like the album SuperCoolNothing with 1000 more horsepower."

Die Krupps with Jergen Engler's booming voice mixed incredibly well with the guitars and carried over to the live show. His "cameo" vocals on the track by Vigilante "The New Resistance" gave me renewed hope in the future of industrial music.

I'm liking vigilante. Hard to believe the man singing was singing Metallica songs once. That was what attracted me to Die Krupps. The Metallica album absolutely had to be made. Complete classic. I hear Wumpscut synth patterns bleeding through in this resistance song, which is nice for a first of the day song. I never got into 16 Volt until I heard some dubstep remixes. HAHA "My life has value"... nice sampling in this song.

Last edited:
Most of the bands I've seen talked about so far I hadn't heard of. Maybe on a compilation here and there or by word of mouth. My knowledge stops around Invisible's domination. It seemed to scatter out and there were no big mass frontline acts of true Industrial to listen to. I started learning about punk music around that time. I saw a lot of industrial in vid links of course but never saw anything shocking. I really wanted Meg Lee Chin to propagandize or luck out enough to be the Ga Ga of industrial. Industrial seems to be an ingredient at this point. Marilnyn Manson kind of hurt things after hopping off Reznor's genitals and tuning into the frustration many youth felt in the blank time of the 90's. I do not remember it in all sincerity, so I can call it blank. I was at a bread factory listening to a conveyor and tapping a piece of metal on a table while someone sang. I do remember that part. I had gear at home and participated in what panned out to be mediocre things that others did better. Raise your mouse if you think Vladic Ogre understands the human condition dangerously well. Maybe well enough to avoid a certain level of fame. I should look up his net worth. It could be 100x that easily. There could be a muddy little clown crawling around and convulsing for millions while some obligatory theme transpired, opposing his own ethics. Eventually someone would have grabbed his collar and slipped cash and a cigar in his shirt pocket and all that. The pink Floyd song and all that, yeah. Industrial music never came on in and had a cigar. I think that is why it is an "influence" now. What do you think the peak was, back when it was an active genre?

Invisible Records - started by the great Martin Atkins (he's got a fantastic book about surviving in the music industry, pretty fucking cool considering it's written by an industrial giant). The label has some thriving acts even today - Killing Joke, Chris Connelly, Chemlab, Sheep On Drugs...though a very underrated band on the label is Eric Powell's Hellbent.

As Genesis P-Orridge said, "Journalists use the term industrial like they do 'blues.'"

I think the peak was in the mid/late 90's - like you referenced, you had the explosion of 'mainstream' industrial which all the neophytes just thought it was a rock band with "cool bleeps and bloops" added - Gravity Kills, Filter, MM, NIN, Stabbing Westward, White Zombie, The Hunger. But, this is what the sounds turned into when Big Money Labels were able to throw 500K towards making incredibly polished and radio-worthy albums.

The defining 'guitar' driven album for me was Frontline Assembly's "Millenium." Granted, the guitar tracks were sampled but I think it brought a level of ferocity to an electronically dominated genre that KMFDM didn't quite reach. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for Sascha, Watts, Jewels, White and Mrs. Sascha along with the rest of the KMFDM crew. They've put out some knock-out albums but always to a more danceable vibe than sheer aggro. I think WWIII pulled it off.

Slipdisc records was my go-to label in the 90's. I wasn't a huge Ministry guy so WaxTrax! didn't have the appeal to me that it did for many other fans. Slipdisc was bringing up what we were looking at as the next generation of artists. Bands like Final Cut, N17, The Clay People, Rorschach Test. If you ever get a chance to go to the ColdWaves show in Chicago, tons of these bands still play.

The one band that came out of the genre in the 90's (some would argue aren't really industrial at all but leveraging elements) and flattened me like 2-ton hammer was a band out of Long Beach called Drown. They originally signed to Elektra records and had superb production behind their sound. Their singer, Lauren Boquette is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard - their keyboardist/programmer was Joseph Bishara (who later went on to score most of the mainstream horror movies today, Insidious 1 and 2 comes to mind.) Their 2nd album ended up on Slipdisc records which didn't quite carry the thunder their first one had.

Rambling.

Have yerself a listen:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EREU6GOfLw[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom