• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Infinity War Spoiler Thread

That said, even as an outsider I know a lot of these "deaths" aren't permanent. In fact I'd hazard a guess that everyone killed by Thanos activating his super wrist watch 'o death is going to come back. Loki? Gamora? Vision? Not so much.

I don't know about that. The director has already said that Gamora is going to be the focus of Guardians 3 and after all the complaints of their movies focusing on white males, I can't see them having one of their first black female major characters (Valkyrie) dying offscreen and never being mentioned again, so I'm guessing the Asgardians get reset to where they were at the end of Ragnarok. Also, with all the stuff about Vision's brain being linked to the Mind Stone, I imagine he's going to be playing the Adam Warlock role in the next one and grabbing the Infinity Gauntlet from within.

The deaths not being permanent doesn't make them less impactful within the context of the film itself, but everyone is coming back.

I do think deaths not being permanent does kind of make them not so impactful.

I mean, what if in Top Gun Goose showed up right before the showdown with the Mig 28s and was like "hey, I didn't die...just got banged up a bit and I'm ready to be your RIO again, Mav!"

Sure, keeping the franchise going is a concern, but it seems (to me) that a lot of movies nowadays are cheapening the deaths of characters by making them obviously less than permanent. Or even death. Take Thor's bit in this movie where he was supposed to get the neutron star thing working again and the guy from Game of Thrones was like "you're going to die!"

No he's not. We all know he's not. He's Thor. Then once he gets the axe he becomes a deus ex machina and flies instantly to the battlefield on Earth (Battlefield Earth?) where he starts kicking ass because he's literally a god.

Then at the end everyone dies (and I'm okay with this) but there's no consequences, because we all know that most of them..maybe all...are coming back. The fact that they're all not really dead takes the dramatic wind out of their deaths. And they've done this over and over. Bucky's death in Captain America was like "wow, they killed Bucky?" Then he came back. Then in the next movie they killed off Sam Jackson. Oh wait...they didn't.

Then once he gets the axe he becomes a deus ex machina and flies instantly to the battlefield on Earth (Battlefield Earth?) where he starts kicking ass because he's literally a god.
... i think you mean a deus *axe* machina.

ba-dum *ching*

Zing!

And I don't want to bag on the movie too much...it was good...but the Marvel folks really need to sort out the relative powers of their heroes.

Thor is a god. He's 1,500 years old, isn't bothered by being in the vacuum of space, and can go toe to toe with just about anyone. Except when he can't. Which is when the plot needs him to be weak. On the other hand, Tony Stark is a 100 percent non-god flawed human being, but can take a punch from Thanos and not be turned into mush.

Sure, suspension of disbelief and all that, but is there ever going to be a point in the Marvel movies where they're going to at least hint at the fact that normal humans like Stark (and Black Widow, and whatever the hell happened to Hawkeye) have physical limitations that put them at a disadvantage while fighting alongside gods, mutants, and killer trees?

That said, even as an outsider I know a lot of these "deaths" aren't permanent. In fact I'd hazard a guess that everyone killed by Thanos activating his super wrist watch 'o death is going to come back. Loki? Gamora? Vision? Not so much.

I don't know about that. The director has already said that Gamora is going to be the focus of Guardians 3 and after all the complaints of their movies focusing on white males, I can't see them having one of their first black female major characters (Valkyrie) dying offscreen and never being mentioned again, so I'm guessing the Asgardians get reset to where they were at the end of Ragnarok. Also, with all the stuff about Vision's brain being linked to the Mind Stone, I imagine he's going to be playing the Adam Warlock role in the next one and grabbing the Infinity Gauntlet from within.

The deaths not being permanent doesn't make them less impactful within the context of the film itself, but everyone is coming back.

The problem is, she got 'fridged. I get that this might not be an issue given that nearly everyone male or female was killed just to advance the story for a male character (Thanos), but given the unfortunate history in comic books (and other media), this can have icky implications.

If her death becomes permanent, while other heroes gets resurrected, that cements this as an example of "women in refrigerators" and worse, it means they killed her off before giving her a proper action sequence that explains to mainstream audiences why she is called "the deadliest woman in the galaxy."

Also, if her death becomes permanent, that would mean they killed her off without ever doing the peculiar yellow eye makeup thing the character is famous for. Dunno if anyone else gives a shit about that, but it would kind of bum me out.

643858e9084039efa37c02c89c1521e3--galaxy--of-the-galaxy.jpg

I think Gamora will be back. If not brought back with everyone turned to ash, then it will be because her soul is in the soul stone.

Is that fridging really so much of an issue when they basically had Vision's death be the exact same thing for Scarlett Witch's character development about an hour later in the exact same movie? Sure, it got rolled back five seconds later, but she basically took the identical action that Thanos did by being willing to kill the only person she loved in order to accomplish her goals and it was an identically emotionally significant moment for her character. It seems like this is no more a thing than it was racist of them by starting off the movie by killing the black guy first (which is also something that some commentators have fake complained about).

Is that fridging really so much of an issue when they basically had Vision's death be the exact same thing for Scarlett Witch's character development about an hour later in the exact same movie? Sure, it got rolled back five seconds later, but she basically took the identical action that Thanos did by being willing to kill the only person she loved in order to accomplish her goals and it was an identically emotionally significant moment for her character. It seems like this is no more a thing than it was racist of them by starting off the movie by killing the black guy first (which is also something that some commentators have fake complained about).

Yes.

There are also male characters who are killed to advance the story for another character. The issue with women in refrigerators is that it is far more likely to happen with female characters, and that is an indication that society values women less than men.

Vision is probably a bad example for your point anyway, he can easily be brought back. Perhaps more easily than anyone else who died in the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Gamora will be back. If not brought back with everyone turned to ash, then it will be because her soul is in the soul stone.

They did establish that she's in the soul stone, but why does she look like a child in there?

They did establish that she's in the soul stone, but why does she look like a child in there?

-------

I'm wondering if she's brought back, does that break the "contract" Thanos made to get the stone?

Yes.

There are also male characters who are killed to advance the story for another character. The issue with women in refrigerators is that it is far more likely to happen with female characters, and that is an indication that society values women less than men.

Vision is probably a bad example for your point anyway, he can easily be brought back. Perhaps more easily than anyone else who died in the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume that was the girl he loved.

I do think deaths not being permanent does kind of make them not so impactful.

I mean, what if in Top Gun Goose showed up right before the showdown with the Mig 28s and was like "hey, I didn't die...just got banged up a bit and I'm ready to be your RIO again, Mav!"

Sure, keeping the franchise going is a concern, but it seems (to me) that a lot of movies nowadays are cheapening the deaths of characters by making them obviously less than permanent. Or even death. Take Thor's bit in this movie where he was supposed to get the neutron star thing working again and the guy from Game of Thrones was like "you're going to die!"

No he's not. We all know he's not. He's Thor. Then once he gets the axe he becomes a deus ex machina and flies instantly to the battlefield on Earth (Battlefield Earth?) where he starts kicking ass because he's literally a god.

Then at the end everyone dies (and I'm okay with this) but there's no consequences, because we all know that most of them..maybe all...are coming back. The fact that they're all not really dead takes the dramatic wind out of their deaths. And they've done this over and over. Bucky's death in Captain America was like "wow, they killed Bucky?" Then he came back. Then in the next movie they killed off Sam Jackson. Oh wait...they didn't.
People will die. Their contracts will be up. Which adds a unique angle, characters can become expendable. We are half way through the story, yeah stuff will be undone, but how. Marvel has done very well with the hows.

Back
Top Bottom