• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Infinte Regress Timeline...

Neither I nor you know everything about set theory and all the conceptual infinities. They come in many sizes.

But we are not talking about conceptual infinities. We are talking about real infinities.

What the hell do you know about real infinities that I don't?
That is an odd question since you apparently know nothing about real infinities. If I know one thing about real infinities then I would know infinitely more than you (1/0 = infinity).

Since you seem to be hooked on time and have already stated that time is real then time is a good real infinity that should get no argument. It may be bounded on one end or maybe not but the other end (the future) extends infinitly, which makes it a real infinity.
What? 1/0 = infinity?

So if we multiply both sides by zero we get 1 = 0?

And this you know?

That is an odd question since you apparently know nothing about real infinities. If I know one thing about real infinities then I would know infinitely more than you (1/0 = infinity).

Since you seem to be hooked on time and have already stated that time is real then time is a good real infinity that should get no argument. It may be bounded on one end or maybe not but the other end (the future) extends infinitly, which makes it a real infinity.
What? 1/0 = infinity?

So if we multiply both sides by zero we get 1 = 0?

And this you know?

Real cute. I gave you a real infinity - time.

ETA:
Your math ability sucks. You should work on that.

Real cute. I gave you a real infinity - time.
Bad math is giving me something?

Amazing how you can block out anything you don't want to see.

Bad math is giving me something?

Oh, you want me to ignore your bad math. Alright.

You can tell from where you are that time will never end?

That makes no sense to me. You tell me where time ends if it isn't infinite.

For you and me it ends soon.

For you and me it ends soon.

Cute, but evasive.

Cute, but evasive.
You asked me when time will end.

It is a question a child would ask.
I wouldn't have asked it except you implied that time would have to end or it would be infinite as I suggested.

If someone tells me that something is about to happen, "When?", is is a fairly normal question to ask.

So when will time end?

Last edited:
We haven't ever observed the end, and we haven't ever observed the beginning.
We've observed many beginnings and endings.

That is all we know. The finite.

We don't have a clue what the infinite is.

I meant the end and beginning of everything.

If everything comes down to granularity, then we only experience things as they are, never their ends or beginnings. Each moment in time would just be a new moment; a moment that is an end and a beginning simultaneously.

We haven't ever observed the end, and we haven't ever observed the beginning.

We have clues. A proof, for example that there is no last number, means there an infinite amount of them. Similarly primes.

Is there time enough to count again for every n? If not how not?

We have clues. A proof, for example that there is no last number, means there an infinite amount of them. Similarly primes.

Is there time enough to count again for every n? If not how not?
Of course we know what mathematical infinities are. We invented everything about them.

But the discussion was about reality. And in the real world we know nothing about infinities.

If everything comes down to granularity, then we only experience things as they are, never their ends or beginnings. Each moment in time would just be a new moment; a moment that is an end and a beginning simultaneously.
You're right we have never observed the beginning or end of everything.

So we can't make any conclusions from observation.

All we have is logic. And logic says that it is impossible for infinite time to have already passed. A contradiction in terms.

All we have is logic. And logic says that it is impossible for infinite time to have already passed. A contradiction in terms.
So time may have a beginning and no end. As near as we can tell the universe is expanding more than contracting. There is no known physical reason this would end. What physical reason do you know that I don't?

Yeah, I think it's a major problem for the other side.

Although, I am already starting to think that there may be some wormholes loopholes (ha ha haaa). I'll post them if I think they are worthy.

Back
Top Bottom