• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Infinte Regress Timeline...

I could ask again if this is complete ignorance, extremely short attention span, Dunning-Kruger effect, or a possible sign of trolling?
It's also hard to tell a YEC from an asshole posing as a YEC to fuck with people. Having been wrong about various things in the past sort of locks me into the no man's land of "is this guy a moron or is he fucking with us?" I think it's the latter, because the former would be.. well, I'm not particular either way.

But some don't seem to understand the difference between totally conceptual entities like numbers and things that exist in the world like time. They think that the things they say about one somehow applies to the other.
The problem with your statements is they indicate you don't understand infinity (or time for that matter)- math is simply another language with which to describe infinity (and time).

No. Math is THE language in which infinity is defined. Using language is just a metaphor. Where infinity exists is within the conceptual world of mathematics. It exists nowhere else.

To think it does is to believe in Santa Clause.

I could ask again if this is complete ignorance, extremely short attention span, Dunning-Kruger effect, or a possible sign of trolling?
It's also hard to tell a YEC from an asshole posing as a YEC to fuck with people. Having been wrong about various things in the past sort of locks me into the no man's land of "is this guy a moron or is he fucking with us?" I think it's the latter, because the former would be.. well, I'm not particular either way.

You must realize that what I think is you are simply incapable of understanding a logical argument.

If something is defined and you make claims about the thing defined that are in violation with the definition then your claims are illogical.

To claim that an infinite amount of time has already passed is illogical. It violates the definition of infinite time which is time that never finishes passing.

Yes, I considered for a while that he may actually know something about the subject and was just trying to make us think. However his continually posting the exact same "argument" for well over a hundred pages even though the error of his "facts" have been repeatedly shown makes it seem unlikely to me. We should be well past the point that he would expose his lesson and explain why some of us (maybe even me) were close and where we missed. By dragging it on this long, he won't be able to show those who got fed up with the nonsense and left the thread.

Personally, for me, it is sort of a sick fascination to see what kind of odd nonsensical thing he will assert as fact next.

You must realize that what I think is you are simply incapable of understanding a logical argument.

If something is defined and you make claims about the thing defined that are in violation with the definition then your claims are illogical.

To claim that an infinite amount of time has already passed is illogical. It violates the definition of infinite time which is time that never finishes passing.

I have read every post in this thread, and I have to say that 99% of the replies to your argument do not address or even attempt to address it.

You forgot one.

You don't have the capacity to understand the arguments so you keep repeating the same nitpicking nonsense over and over.

"Time doesn't pass! Time doesn't pass!..................................It doesn't pass!"

As has been explained to you several times saying that time "passes" is just a metaphor that means the state of the universe passes from one thing to another. It is a metaphor meaning change is occurring.

Saying that time passes changes absolutely nothing about my argument. I could express it differently but it would mean the same thing.
Please do. Only this time express it in terms that actually apply to reality.

You forgot one.

You don't have the capacity to understand the arguments so you keep repeating the same nitpicking nonsense over and over.

"Time doesn't pass! Time doesn't pass!..................................It doesn't pass!"

As has been explained to you several times saying that time "passes" is just a metaphor that means the state of the universe passes from one thing to another. It is a metaphor meaning change is occurring.

Saying that time passes changes absolutely nothing about my argument. I could express it differently but it would mean the same thing.
Please do. Only this time express it in terms that actually apply to reality.

Change occurs.

To say that infinite time has passed is no different from saying infinite change has occurred.

You are nitpicking.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I considered for a while that he may actually know something about the subject and was just trying to make us think. However his continually posting the exact same "argument" for well over a hundred pages even though the error of his "facts" have been repeatedly shown makes it seem unlikely to me....

You're delusional if you think some specific error has been pointed out.

100 pages of infinity believers waving their hands.

And that is my problem?

No. This definition is clearly wrong.
Ok, the subsequent logic is good enough but the premise is false. That’s what is wrong, the premise.
So the definition does not apply to the past.

The past is clearly over and done with so whether finite or infinite it would have to have had an end. At least now it has to have an end.
So the past does not go on at all. It’s finished. Whether finite or infinite, the past is finished. It does not go on.

On the other hand (or end?), counting an infinite past would have a beginning but no end. God could count it, if He could be bothered, but not us. But we’re very clever and we have an infinite amount of time in front of us to find a smart way maybe to count the past.
A possible definition of the past may be time that just ended, so the past definitely has to have an end and this applies to both a finite and an infinite past. A finite past would have a beginning to, while an infinite past wouldn’t.

So that’s it. And pretty much everyone here should be able to agree with that. :)
EB

Yes the past is finished but the past represents the passing of time.
The past is a location in time (from now) that is in the negative direction.
The future is a location in time (from now) in the positive direction.

Whether there is stuff/energy/change going on at every location is unknown before about 13.2 billion years in the negative direction. It can never be known! The Big Bang and Inflation is but one of many ways the farthest back we can see could be. We can never get direct signals from there, although gravitating stuff may be indirectly inferred.
So infinite time in the past would mean the infinite passing of time in the past. If an infinite passing of time must first occur before yesterday occurs, because there is a claim that there was infinite time before yesterday, then yesterday will never occur.

Try again.

Personally, for me, it is sort of a sick fascination to see what kind of odd nonsensical thing he will assert as fact next.
Yeah- check out this gem:
At any point in infinite time, and infinite amount of time has passed and will pass.

Whether there is stuff/energy/change going on at every location is unknown before about 13.2 billion years in the negative direction. It can never be known! The Big Bang and Inflation is but one of many ways the farthest back we can see could be. We can never get direct signals from there, although gravitating stuff may be indirectly inferred.

I'm with you.

Observation shows finite time.

There is no way to observe infinite time. Whatever that means?

How people ever thought they could logically apply conceptual entities like infinity to the world is beyond me.

- - - Updated - - -

At any point in infinite time, and infinite amount of time has passed and will pass.

This is no more than saying if infinite time exists then it exists.

It is an argument you should be ashamed to make.

No. Math is THE language in which infinity is defined.
Nope. Something that is infinite is defined as something that is boundless, or immeasurably great, or immeasurably large. The key word is "immeasurably".

Math further elucidates various properties of the infinite, but is not the only language with which infinity is defined.

Where infinity exists is within the conceptual world of mathematics. It exists nowhere else.
Well, from your statements in this thread, I've been able to infer that you have an infinite amount of incorrect things to say, even if you have to repeat some of them periodically.

One can count from a finite point towards infinity

One cannot count from infinity towards a finite point

It is possible to go from the present towards an infinite past

It is not possible to go from an infinite past towards the present
This is one of the points that untermensche has been tirelessly trying to make. Now means that infinity has passed which doesn't make sense.

So you finally, after all this time, understand what infinite time is? Sheesh....

There is a time zero permanently at now -- at each here and now. Peering as far as can be seen, the day the universe (overall) changed state and went from plasma to gas leaving a few pockets of plasma (suns) you might expect, but there were the dark ages with no plasma to be seen (forgive the run-on sentence) it happened 13.4 billion years ago. Peering from elsewhere can lead to a different age from 13.4 billion years to that event, never mind. Time is a strangely local phenomenon. It's always 'just right' so that light goes c here and now.

This premise, and it is an assumption, that light goes a constant velocity is the single premise that drives all of physics. And time is local under that assumption.

One can count from a finite point towards infinity

One cannot count from infinity towards a finite point

It is possible to go from the present towards an infinite past

It is not possible to go from an infinite past towards the present
This is one of the points that untermensche has been tirelessly trying to make. Now means that infinity has passed which doesn't make sense.
No it isn't. He even defined "passed" as simply meaning time that has been passing which has already passed (like the amount of time that it took for me to write this). He also has been told that if time has a beginning, an infinite amount has not passed (because a defined beginning, instead of an undefined beginning, implies finite time).

To the wise, it appears that he's just confused about various things, and is trying to play it off like he's been playing all along. I gave him that out when I explained that he could do so earlier in the thread. However, the length of time that he has put into pretending to have known the truth all along indicates (to the wise) that he is trying to cover up earlier mistakes he made by pretending to be playing.

It's all right to make mistakes.

So you finally, after all this time, understand what infinite time is? Sheesh....

It's not anything.

It's just saying lets pretend infinite time can exist. Then lets pretend a moment in time can exist with infinite time in both directions.

It still runs into the brick wall of the definition of infinite time.

If we say infinite time extends into the past then infinite time must pass before we can experience any moment in time.

And infinite time never passes, or if you like, infinite change never finishes occurring.

The point is worthless.

I have a great idea. Let's compare the various statements made in this thread to the following video, and tally up the number of statements made that resemble those made by the following logicians:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3sKdDyyanGk[/YOUTUBE]

No it isn't. He even defined "passed" as simply meaning time that has been passing which has already passed (like the amount of time that it took for me to write this). He also has been told that if time has a beginning, an infinite amount has not passed (because a defined beginning, instead of an undefined beginning, implies finite time).

To the wise, it appears that he's just confused about various things, and is trying to play it off like he's been playing all along. I gave him that out when I explained that he could do so earlier in the thread. However, the length of time that he has put into pretending to have known the truth all along indicates (to the wise) that he is trying to cover up earlier mistakes he made by pretending to be playing.

It's all right to make mistakes.

How can we be on the "infinity-ith" hour when we know that infinity is undefined?

This is one of untermesche's arguments.

I'm with you.

Observation shows finite time.

There is no way to observe infinite time. Whatever that means?

How people ever thought they could logically apply conceptual entities like infinity to the world is beyond me.
Hawking, Krauss, and many others agree that time had a zero and it is nonsense to even consider it. Well, not really, no dogma. The physics world finds Penrose, Carroll, and others willing to fill in the theoretical beginnings. These involve infinite time. In one the universe becomes so dilute it forgets it was a universe and a new bang proceeds ad infinitum.

It is a matter of opinion. Time will tell. Literally.

It's not anything. It's just saying lets pretend infinite time can exist. Then lets pretend a moment in time can exist with infinite time in both directions.
The whole problem was your lack of understanding of what any infinite thing or being is. So you finally understand what infinite time is if time is infinite. Seriously... wow.

Back
Top Bottom