• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Information is bogus.

Good point too!
EB

SP
For over a thousand years Christianity has replaced philosophy as the moral structure in the west.

Such an oversimplification isn't worth disputing.

Philosophers have been very active as critics of the religious ideology for a very long time.

Did science fared any better during that time?

Are you done proving God doesn't exist using SI definitions?
EB

Philosophy like Christianity is whatever you want it to mean/

Phil !01 circa 1970s for me.

Philos -Sophia Love of knowledge and wisdom. I can never get it straight is it etymology or entomology? One is about bugs or something...

In the time of the Greeks everything was philosophy. Morality, math, science. Look at Aristotle.

Instead of philosopher substitute an academic or intellectual and you'll get a better picture of what philosophy was as a generalization.

The Pythagoreans today would be probably called a cult.

The modern cliché is to say talking about things is philosophizing making one a philosopher.

If somebody tells me he or she is a scientist I'd ask what area is his or her specialty.

If yo say you are a philosopher it has no meaning unless you specify some area of 'knowledge and wisdom'. Articulating facts doesn't count.

SP
For over a thousand years Christianity has replaced philosophy as the moral structure in the west.

Such an oversimplification isn't worth disputing.

Philosophers have been very active as critics of the religious ideology for a very long time.

Did science fared any better during that time?

Are you done proving God doesn't exist using SI definitions?
EB

Philosophy like Christianity is whatever you want it to mean/

Phil !01 circa 1970s for me.

Philos -Sophia Love of knowledge and wisdom. I can never get it straight is it etymology or entomology? One is about bugs or something...

In the time of the Greeks everything was philosophy. Morality, math, science. Look at Aristotle.

Instead of philosopher substitute an academic or intellectual and you'll get a better picture of what philosophy was as a generalization.

The Pythagoreans today would be probably called a cult.

The modern cliché is to say talking about things is philosophizing making one a philosopher.

If somebody tells me he or she is a scientist I'd ask what area is his or her specialty.

If yo say you are a philosopher it has no meaning unless you specify some area of 'knowledge and wisdom'. Articulating facts doesn't count.

???

Sorry, I'm not interested in discussing hasty and useless generalisations about something you call "philosophy".

You seem to assume that most people see philosophy as some sort of unified theory of reality. I certainly don't and I don't think many people do.

Instead, I think people understand philosophy to be a collection of abstract views on reality, produced by individual philosophers based on whatever personal experience they had of life. As such, it is necessarily interesting. Reading philosophy is always reading one philosopher at a time and that is somewhat like having a conversation with an old friend, sharing his views on his experience of life. If you don't like it, just don't do it. Like music, food and sex.

But you should make sure you understand what people talk about when they talk of philosophy. You're not quite there yet. And I can only feel sorry for you here.
EB

Philosophy is the discussion of knowledge (and of course more than that), and science is both the gathering of knowledge and knowledge in action. Science, to my mind, is quite obviously more beneficial and has far, far greater practical utility, and far greater impact on the current state of things.

If everyone were like me, humanity would be in the caves, scratching pictures of animals and imaginative scribblings on the walls.

On the other hand, if everyone were a ruthlessly disciplined scientist, humanity would be in dreadful shape. Hence, we need each other!

I can understand someone having no use for philosophy, but I could never comprehend someone who claimed to have something against science. I might consider such a person rather insane.

Last edited:
Philosophy is the discussion of knowledge (and of course more than that), and science is both the gathering of knowledge and knowledge in action. Science, to my mind, is quite obviously more beneficial and has far, far greater practical utility, and far greater impact on the current state of things.

If everyone were like me, humanity would be in the caves, scratching pictures of animals and imaginative scribblings on the walls.

On the other hand, if everyone were a ruthlessly disciplined scientist, humanity would be in dreadful shape. Hence, we need each other!

I can understand someone having no use for philosophy, but I could never comprehend someone who claimed to have something against science. I might consider such a person rather insane.

Nicely put.

For me the distinction between philosophy science is arbitrary and made for convenience. Real world humans are a mix of objective observation and emotional speculation. You can not have one without the other.

Science has more practical utility.
But it is philosophy that has built our civilisation: how we live together in civil. How you should live, howto write and apply laws, governement of state etc.

Back
Top Bottom