• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Insane or 1919 Black Sox?

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Quick note: the 1919 Black Sox were an American baseball team that intentionally lost the World Series (baseball's championship).

A quick couple of examples. Yesterday, Trump said he didn't need the Republican party to be united behind him. While this is far different than what he said a few weeks ago, that's not what matters. What matters is that he knows he can't win with a divided GOP. The odds are already against him and a divided party means that he might as well hand the Presidency to Hillary now.

He also said that he wouldn't raise taxes on the middle-class, but that he would raise taxes on the rich--but then said they'd be paying less taxes than they are now.
Whatever Trump might be, he knows that raising taxes on Person A does not result in lower taxes for Person A.

I think he's trying to throw the election. He might now understand that running for the Presidency as a publicity stunt can have serious implications and he's in over his head. And now Sarah Palin has been brought in to help? It's like trying cure pneumonia with cyanide.

That is, unless he is truly so batshit that his ego is telling him he can singlehandedly tell the GOP what it's going to do; that he can say anything he wants and demand anything he wants and that he'll get it from the GOP.

These are not the moves of a rational person, unless that person simply doesn't want to win. It's one or the other.

In 2000, it seemed like suicide to nominate W over McCain. In 2008, Palin was nominated to try and salvage victory in a hail mary, it helped but not nearly enough. In 2016, Trump was able to ride the wave of misogyny and hate to the Republican nomination, but that can't possibly get you to the White House. So he is pivoting. Trump, however, isn't any where as smart as he thinks he is. This is to win moderate votes, but (hopefully) the people will see through this.

Trump isn't throwing the game, he isn't good enough for the Pros to begin with. I've been using the parallel with Manziel. Great in college, but in the Pros, the game is much different and much harder. In College Football, crazy shit offense can do all sorts of things. Trump was able to perfect the asshole candidate well enough to galvanize the angry white voter. But in the pros, that shit doesn't work any more. You can't make fun of women because of menstruation and get a bump in the General Election polls. That shit only worked at the College level.

He is trying to tact to adjust course to win the general election, but his boat is so far off course, people are wondering why he is bothering to try. And his supporters are useless to help "spread the word" and there is no "word" to spread as can be easily discerned when listening to AM Radio hosts continue to be flustered in trying to find out why their latest caller supports Trump. Even Trump supporters have nothing other than "change".

He's probably banking on picking up some Sanders voters who can't stand Clinton. If the tenor of my local caucus is a guide, there will be some to pick up in that way. I, however, won't be going that road, and I don't think there will be enough to make a difference. Clinton is strongest in the swing states, where she needs to be, while Sanders supporters are concentrated in the bluest states, and the plains states that tend to go republican anyway.

Sanders voters are issue voters.

They know the first thing the next president is going to do is select a Supreme Court Justice.

They will not vote for Trump to do this.

OK, now I'm confused - is the Presidential race analogous to a baseball series or a football match? Or is Trump trying to win the Superbowl by swinging a baseball bat? And if so, is that crazy, or did he find a loophole by which there is no law of football that says you can't arm players with blunt trauma weapons?

And what is Sarah Palin planning to do with that hockey stick?

OK, now I'm confused - is the Presidential race analogous to a baseball series or a football match? Or is Trump trying to win the Superbowl by swinging a baseball bat? And if so, is that crazy, or did he find a loophole by which there is no law of football that says you can't arm players with blunt trauma weapons?

And what is Sarah Palin planning to do with that hockey stick?

Precisely.

Precisely in that Trump's campaign has been run in such a confused, discordant, inconsistent manner that the game he's playing makes almost no sense unless he's either crazy or wants to throw the election, because he isn't winning anything with whatever is he's playing now.

Don't forget the possibility of incompetence. You might say that if he were incompetent, he would never have won the nomination. However, I've pointed out that the republican party has been waging a war on competence for years.

Back
Top Bottom