• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Interesting peek into Trumpland

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Inside the Trump bubble, 'Sympathy for the Devil' but no talk of Cohen

Interesting tidbits from a journalist while waiting to see how Trump is going to react to the news regarding both Manafort and Cohen:

article said:
A woman with a glittery phone stopped, but ignored my questions. She took a picture of CNN reporter Jim Acosta instead. In the background, Mick Jagger was singing “Sympathy for the Devil.”

"a fellow named Rick Hunt" said:
“All I know is everybody makes mistakes,” Rick said. “But if they try to take Trump out of office, there’s going to be a revolt.”

article said:
Inside the Charleston arena, Jagger had given way to Pavarotti. I was confused.

Sounds like that kinda bad dream that will now turn into either a horror or a comedy. A homedy?

I think the real question at this point is whether there is anything that will bust people out of the Trump bubble. The answer is probably no.

The great tragedy of this whole circus is that Hillary didn't make not drinking poison a central theme of her campaign, because that would have created a self-correcting problem.

I think the real question at this point is whether there is anything that will bust people out of the Trump bubble. The answer is probably no.

The great tragedy of this whole circus is that Hillary didn't make not drinking poison a central theme of her campaign, because that would have created a self-correcting problem.

Depends on which bubbles actually have any influence over the situation and the nature of that influence. There's not enough people in the Trump bubble to vote for him and liberals and Dem-converts are very motivated, and more so every day, every Trump tweet, every headline. They (within the bubble) keep threatening civil war, but even if law enforcement were in agreement and adamant in alerting the President about a threat of civil war, who knows what that moron would do. Previous experience suggests he might encourage them.

I'd like to also note that if he fails-- WHEN he fails, because he's a global catastrophe waiting to happen - he WILL blame his own supporters. He'll tell them it's their fault for not supporting him enough, not fighting hard enough, not standing up to [insert out groups here], or whatever, but he will blame them. What effects might that have on volatile right wing fear aggression and "prepped for war" mentality?

As Maddow said the other night, we don't know what happens next, besides the obvious and immediate next thing, which is Fox News and other Trump cult mouthpieces and "influencers" stepping up all their defenses that have worked in some way in the past to excuse and downplay our felon President's actions.

In other words, the people who have taken on Trump's own narcissistic defenses, methods, and reactions. And that mentality tends to escalate the defensive mechanisms when they feel threatened. So they're doing their thing, only harder. But beyond that?

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never felt that the world was so on the precipice as I do now. It's exciting but truly worrying.

Last edited:
This as Trump ends off his speech about his supporters being the elite now, the superior people, and promising to make America great again.
article said:
The press pool ran for the plane as the clear voices of a boys’ choir filled the arena. It was the Rolling Stones again.

“You can’t always get what you want.”

The answer is no. I recently saw a long Gallup Organization list of GOP vs Democratic Party self identification survey running back many years to 2004 There is some statistical jitter, but it has held reasonably steady for years. I had suspected that things like the Big 2008 meltdown, and the success of the Clinton economy would have shown up as increase and decrease of self identification. But to my surprise, it did not. The disaster that was Bush did not matter. The relentless obstructionism of the GOP under Obama did not have any real effect. So far the Trump disaster has not.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

Here is that list of surveys for your viewing pleasure. I do not expect anything Trump and the GOP does no matter how incompetent, vulgar or illegal will change many minds.

The answer is no. I recently saw a long Gallup Organization lest of GOP vs Democratic Party self identification survey running back many years to 2004 There is some statistical jitter, but it has held reasonably steady for years. I had suspected that things like the Big 2008 meltdown, and the success of the Clinton economy would have shown up as increase and decrease of self identification. But to my surprise, it did not. The disaster that was Bush did not matter. The relentless obstructionism of the GOP under Obama did not have any real effect. So far the Trump disaster has not.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

Here is that list of surveys for your viewing pleasure. I do not expect anything Trump and the GOP does no matter how incompetent, vulgar or illegal will change many minds.

It seems more likely than ever that the GOP will split from Trump or distance themselves in a way that could whittle down the base significantly or even split the Trump supporters between those who think the party is what they should stick with and backtrack on Trump, and those who believe we are persecuting a demi-god. Congress still has the power to do a lot. My biggest question there is how many and who are compromised such that they will never act against Trump as long as they think protecting him will protect themselves. I'm betting on the self-serving nature of right wing authoritarian "leaders" that they have demonstrated so recklessly and relentlessly.

I say again, just what we're learning this week appears to be a huge and real conspiracy against the US while those compromised or committing crimes make up fake conspiracies like it's their job.

Why would you even ask that?

Go back and read interviews conducted with German ex-Nazis (not the leaders, but average Joe citizens) after WW2. Many if not most of them will never change. The best we can hope for is a world in which their embarrassed relatives try to keep them out of public as they age.

Back
Top Bottom