• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

International Genitalia

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Our modern Internet makes possible all manner of scholarly research and analysis. It also facilitates idle-headed blather like this:

How to say vagina in other languages

Basque - baginaren (sounds roomy)
Hungarian - huvely ("I have a huvely idea, Laszlo." "Oh gosh, I hope so.")
Polish - pochwa (somehow sounds like an unwanted growth on your pochwa)
Hmong - chaw mos los (the chaw is unsettling)
Igbo - ikpu and Filipino - puki (Anagrams! But gentlemen, please, there's nothing to be afraid of)
Yoruba - obo (Wikipedia says, "The soprano oboe measures roughly 65 cm. (25 1/2 inches) long, with ...a conical cone and a flared bell") (Apparently wikipedia uses a variant spelling)

How to say penis in other languages

Estonian - peenis (I can see it. Makes sense.)
Irish - bod (The aftershave I use. Golly.)
Lithuanian - varpa (I can hear Bela Lugosi saying that.)
Hmong - chaw mos (again with the chaw)
Uzbek - mucha (Stop bragging, sir)
Yoruba - kofe (So, to Yoruba speakers, Kofi Annan was like guys named Dick here?)
Filipino - titi (But in Swahili, titi = breast. Does that cause confusion on dates when...?)

Awww, I thought this was going to hearken back to the days of my youth with such international tidbits as:

German for virgin: Gutenteit
Russian for gonorrhea: Rotchurkokoff

... etc., etc....

"the chaw is unsettling"

That doesn't give you enough information, unless you already know what a chaw is...

Chaw is a borrow word from the Middle (medieveal era) Chinese, -cha, or "a place". If you study genitalia names across cultures, you'll find it's often the case that people use the language of neighboring cultures to gloss over the awkardness of referring to them at all. So for instance, we have lifted our "correct" name for those parts directly from Latin, despite referring to most other common body parts by their Germanic synonyms.

"Filipino" is not a language, there are hundreds of languages spoken throughout the Phillipine Islands. The word in question, "titi" comes from the Tagalog language, which is the tongue most frequently used in the capital city of Manila and environs, and as a borrow word from Indonesian "Titit", is another example of the principle discussed above. The penis is also referred to more slangishly in Tagalog as a putotoy, borrowed and modified from Spanish puto, "fucking".

As it happens, Titi by coincidence means "street" in Yoruba, "gal" in dialectic Spanish, "monkey" in English, and "lead" in Mapudungun.

Sorry to disappoint. I find it amusing to picture some young Pole obsessing over pochwa, lots of pochwa...or pictures in the lavvy labeled POCHWA -- Call Zuzanna at Polska 7-4400.
(I do like phony geographical names, though -- like Fuckenmess, Germany, or Sauerfahrt, again Germany. And there really is a Dildo in Newfoundland, but I bet if you went there, it would be a bunch of country folk raising root vegetables. Prove me wrong, Dildomen.)

Back
Top Bottom