• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Is aphasia a cognitive disability?

To notify a split thread.
By definition aphasia is caused by brain damage. Don't know why this would be considered philosophical.

When I was rehabbing in a urrsing home I hit my head on a table edge when I stood up from picking something up.

After a few eeeks I had trouble speaking. I could think the words but nothing came out.

A brain scan showed accumulation of fluids compressing the speech center, subdural haematoma.

I have two depressions in my skull drilled to drain the fluids. I had a complete recovery.

When I was in a nursing home and assisted living I knew stroke victims. It took a while to realize that inside most were fully aware and lucid. I played chess with a stoke victim and I had to move the pieces for him. He had trouble speaking and using his hands.

Whether aphasia may be psychological or organic, and whether or not the victim has a cognitive issue is a medical diagnosis.

Whether he is fit to serve in congress is up to the voters, and in th extreme case up to the congress to expel him.

I notice Metaphor didn't respond to post #232 that contained a link that directly says aphasia is not a cognitive issue but a one of language. He had to have seen it since he's responded to posts made after it. That's now two authoritative links I've provided that say aphasia is not a cognitive condition yet he continues to make his argument.

[removed]
Ahasia in me is a disconnect between what i know i want to say and what word comes out of my mouth....a total surprise to all! not a thinking defect, a glitch in delivery. and hey, go with the context.......if we're talking about blouses and i say ''car'' get over it & move on.....
Now, two easy ways to cope are not get overtired and for sure speak more slowly.

I notice Metaphor didn't respond to post #232 that contained a link that directly says aphasia is not a cognitive issue but a one of language. He had to have seen it since he's responded to posts made after it. That's now two authoritative links I've provided that say aphasia is not a cognitive condition yet he continues to make his argument.

[removed]
Ahasia in me is a disconnect between what i know i want to say and what word comes out of my mouth....a total surprise to all! not a thinking defect, a glitch in delivery. and hey, go with the context.......if we're talking about blouses and i say ''car'' get over it & move on.....
Now, two easy ways to cope are not get overtired and for sure speak more slowly.
That's gotta be interesting. Have you ever tried to make it happen for creative purposes?

Like, can you push on it and make it happen?

No way, unless i went 24 hours without sleep, Maybe. I've had More than enough of sounding weird, frankly.....as one gets older others immediately think ''dementia'', sadly.

A disability is not the same thing as a condition. Disabilities are defined by the degree to which they impair your daily life. To qualify under the auspices of ADA protection, for instance, a person must be shown to be "substantially limited" in a "major life activity". Aphasia, as a common symptom of a great many conditions, may or may not qualify depending on its severity, and ot would ultimately fall to the patient and their care community to decide. Mild aphasia is an extremely common experience, and by itself should not be great cause for alarm.

As far as political dipshittery goes, I reckon if an insurer wouldn't consider a person ill enough to treat, then they probably aren't ill enough to be removed from office, but Congress generally prefers rationalization to rationality when it comes to questions of Party loyalty.

No way, unless i went 24 hours without sleep, Maybe. I've had More than enough of sounding weird, frankly.....as one gets older others immediately think ''dementia'', sadly.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm deeply inspired by your resilience. Your insight into the pressure to "Be The Same" resonates with me, albeit from a different perspective – being Black in America.

Back
Top Bottom