• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is atheism a religion?

Can you define what you mean by religion and atheism and how the two differ?

Religion is a complex and multifaceted concept deeply interwoven with human existence. It encompasses a set of beliefs and practices that attempt to explain the origins, purpose, and nature of the universe, often attributing these to a supernatural force or forces. Religions typically involve devotional and ritualistic practices, often accompanied by a moral code governing human conduct.

At the core of many religions lies the belief in one or more deities or spiritual beings. These deities are often revered as creators, protectors, or guides, and their influence permeates various aspects of religious life. Religions often encompass a rich tapestry of rituals, spiritual practices, and a community of believers who share common beliefs and values.

Atheism, on the other hand, represents the absence of belief in gods or deities. It is not a belief system or a religion in itself; rather, it signifies the lack of theistic belief. Atheists do not subscribe to the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in an afterlife, deities, or sacred texts considered to be divinely inspired.

Unlike religion, which often adheres to a structured set of beliefs and practices, atheism is more diverse and encompasses a wider range of individual perspectives. Atheists may hold varying beliefs about different aspects of life, morality, and the universe, but they share the common thread of lacking belief in gods.

I presume the next question is how do I define God.

Ladies and gentlemen, gather round, let's talk about the biggest thug of all time – God! You know, the supreme CEO of Universe Inc., the alpha and omega, the head nigga in charge. This nigga got more hoes than southern US state plantations ever had!

Creator and Sustainer: The Cosmic Handyman

So, in the world of monotheism, God is like the ultimate DIY enthusiast. He out here, rolling galaxies, smoking stars, and assembling IKEA furniture without looking at the instructions.

Personal vs. Impersonal: The BFF or The Invisible Force

Now, depending on who you ask, God's either your invisible BFF, always there for a cosmic chat – "Yo dawg, it's me again, about that parking space..." – or this all-encompassing life force. Kind of like Wi-Fi: everywhere, but good luck finding a strong connection in crowded spaces!

Moral Authority: The Divine Referee

And then we've got God as the grand referee of right and wrong. He out here blowing the whistle on fouls, tossing yellow cards for minor sins, and red cards for the big no-nos. Basically the Po-po of the cosmos. But humans, oh we love to test the limits. It's like, "I know I shouldn't fuck this bitch without a condom, but will I really get the claps?" Spoiler alert: I got the claps.

Worship and Reverence: The Ultimate Fan Club

Worshiping God, is like being in the most dedicated gang. There's extortion, there's snitching, there's the occasional trip to visit our beloved gangsta leader (looking at you, Papal). It's also like being at a hip hop concert to show love to your favorite idol, but the main act is invisible, and the merchandise black books!

Diverse Interpretations: God, the Shapeshifter

And let's not forget, God is the ultimate shapeshifter. In some cultures, He's this old guy with a beard, chilling on a cloud. In others, He's more abstract, like the universe's background music. And then there are places with a whole team of gods – it's like divine Avengers, each with their own superpowers!

So there you have it, the nigga upstairs in a nutshell. Creator, moral authority, personal buddy, or cosmic force – no matter how you slice & dice it, nigga's one heck of a character. And the best part? Everything about my nigga is intangible.

0f02746fb70c5647456a9872ef0c94acef4bec98.jpg

Can you define what you mean by religion and atheism and how the two differ?

Religion is a complex and multifaceted concept deeply interwoven with human existence. It encompasses a set of beliefs and practices that attempt to explain the origins, purpose, and nature of the universe, often attributing these to a supernatural force or forces. Religions typically involve devotional and ritualistic practices, often accompanied by a moral code governing human conduct.
Yes, religion is tricky to define, but I can accept this definition for the purposes of this discussion.
At the core of many religions lies the belief in one or more deities or spiritual beings. These deities are often revered as creators, protectors, or guides, and their influence permeates various aspects of religious life.
I would add that gods tend to be modeled after powerful, male figures, typically human.
Religions often encompass a rich tapestry of rituals, spiritual practices, and a community of believers who share common beliefs and values.
Such rituals tend to involve showing obeisance to the God in a fashion very similar to the deference members of nonhuman species show to alpha males.
Atheism, on the other hand, represents the absence of belief in gods or deities. It is not a belief system or a religion in itself; rather, it signifies the lack of theistic belief. Atheists do not subscribe to the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in an afterlife, deities, or sacred texts considered to be divinely inspired.
If you wish to use this definition that's fine, of course, but just understand that atheism is often defined differently. A very common definition is that atheism is the rejection of belief in God(s) and is sometimes understood as a philosophy or belief that no God(s) exist.
Unlike religion, which often adheres to a structured set of beliefs and practices, atheism is more diverse and encompasses a wider range of individual perspectives.
I'm not sure if I agree with you here. Religion is probably at least as diverse in beliefs and practices as atheism is.
Atheists may hold varying beliefs about different aspects of life, morality, and the universe, but they share the common thread of lacking belief in gods.
As you may know I've argued that atheists don't necessarily completely lack belief in God(s). One can be a "logical" atheist doubting Gods based on reason or an "emotional" atheist having belief in a God based in an emotion like hope or fear.
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round, let's talk about the biggest thug of all time – God! You know, the supreme CEO of Universe Inc., the alpha and omega, the head nigga in charge. This nigga got more hoes than southern US state plantations ever had!

Creator and Sustainer: The Cosmic Handyman

So, in the world of monotheism, God is like the ultimate DIY enthusiast. He out here, rolling galaxies, smoking stars, and assembling IKEA furniture without looking at the instructions.

Personal vs. Impersonal: The BFF or The Invisible Force

Now, depending on who you ask, God's either your invisible BFF, always there for a cosmic chat – "Yo dawg, it's me again, about that parking space..." – or this all-encompassing life force. Kind of like Wi-Fi: everywhere, but good luck finding a strong connection in crowded spaces!

Moral Authority: The Divine Referee

And then we've got God as the grand referee of right and wrong. He out here blowing the whistle on fouls, tossing yellow cards for minor sins, and red cards for the big no-nos. Basically the Po-po of the cosmos. But humans, oh we love to test the limits. It's like, "I know I shouldn't fuck this bitch without a condom, but will I really get the claps?" Spoiler alert: I got the claps.

Worship and Reverence: The Ultimate Fan Club

Worshiping God, is like being in the most dedicated gang. There's extortion, there's snitching, there's the occasional trip to visit our beloved gangsta leader (looking at you, Papal). It's also like being at a hip hop concert to show love to your favorite idol, but the main act is invisible, and the merchandise black books!

Diverse Interpretations: God, the Shapeshifter

And let's not forget, God is the ultimate shapeshifter. In some cultures, He's this old guy with a beard, chilling on a cloud. In others, He's more abstract, like the universe's background music. And then there are places with a whole team of gods – it's like divine Avengers, each with their own superpowers!

So there you have it, the nigga upstairs in a nutshell. Creator, moral authority, personal buddy, or cosmic force – no matter how you slice & dice it, nigga's one heck of a character. And the best part? Everything about my nigga is intangible.
I understand that you're being facetious, but I think it's safe to say that very few if any theists will describe God that way. Creating straw men is OK for a laugh, but it won't get you far in making your case.

Sounds like deja vu all over again...Yogi Berra.

Back
Top Bottom