• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is it possible to doubt you are experiencing?

Yet you have no physiological understanding of the mind and of what the mind can do.

Which implies that you do...

No it does not.

It implies we have the exact same amount of knowledge about the physiology of the mind.

None.

So if we want to talk about the mind and what it can do all we can talk about is subjective experience.

And of course the experience is same experience every time.

We desire to move the arm a specific way then we do it.

We move the arm. We have to do it. With our mind. Something we have done all our lives. There is no other way to move it.

It does not just move.

We can't just walk into a gym and our brain will move our body to work out. It takes mental effort and discipline. Not merely a brain.

Speak for yourself.

You don't get a lot.

The question is simple.

How could you possibly doubt that what you are experiencing is what you are experiencing?

If you think that is too complex a question that is too bad.

You seem to lack the most basic empathy that would tell you the way you express your views isn't good enough.

No. I have a lot of empathy for people with cognitive dissonance due to a lack of the ability to think. But that is meaningless.

When you have an experience where it appears you are giving a command, you know the experience itself

You know beyond doubt it is what you are experiencing.

You know beyond doubt the experience of the arm will not move as desired without giving the command.

The command is there before the experience of the arm moves as desired, every time.

but you don't know whether you are indeed giving a command

If the experience of the arm does not move without giving the command you only have experiential evidence that it is the command.

You have no way to doubt it is the command.

It may well be your brain doing it

There is no evidence of that.

And it conflicts with experience. The experience is of doing something not of having something done.

Your brain is doing everything you are experiencing

The brain is somehow creating all the mind experiences and it also creates the autonomous active contemplative mind.

The brain is reflexive and unless damaged it will reflexively move the arm every time the mind commands.

These attributions of every feature of the mind to the brain is just intellectual laziness and absurdity.

Yeah, well, clearly you don't understand my English.

I don't understand yours.

Except you keep repeating you know things you don't know.
EB

Yet you have no physiological understanding of the mind and of what the mind can do.

Which implies that you do...

No it does not.

It implies we have the exact same amount of knowledge about the physiology of the mind.

None.

So if we want to talk about the mind and what it can do all we can talk about is subjective experience.

We move the arm. We have to do it. With our mind. Something we have done all our lives. There is no other way to move it.

It does not just move.

We can't just walk into a gym and our brain will move our body to work out. It takes mental effort and discipline. Not merely a brain.

You say ''no it does not'' even while offering your special knowledge on how the mind operates the brain and body, moving limbs, etc, all the time ignoring all research on the mechanisms and means relating to motor function and the brain.

There lies the irony.

No it does not.

None.

It does not just move.

You say ''no it does not'' even while offering your special knowledge on how the mind operates the brain and body, moving limbs, etc, all the time ignoring all research on the mechanisms and means relating to motor function and the brain.

There lies the irony.

There is nothing special about knowing I can move my arm with my mind.

You seem to think I invented the idea of voluntary movement.

No it does not.

None.

It does not just move.

There lies the irony.

The point being - you totally ignore the mechanisms and means of your experience while assuming your experience alone is the be all and end all of the issue of agency.

There lies your fallacy, and the point you perpetually and meticulously dance around.

Is it possible to be insane and not realize it?

The point being - you totally ignore the mechanisms and means of your experience...

I don't ignore anything known.

But like you I have no clue how the phenomena of experiencing is generated.

...assuming your experience alone is the be all and end all of the issue of agency.

The experience is of having agency.

The experience is clear.

I want a drink. I order my arm to pick up my cup and bring it to my mouth. The arm cannot refuse.

If the experience is just a lie then that takes proof, not prejudice.

But the experience is of having agency.

And nothing else is known except partially how the brain moves the arm once commanded. The actual commands and language of the nervous system are not known. All that is known is what parts of the brain are involved.

How the command originates is unknown.

The mind is unknown.

That is exactly what you do. You ignore whatever does not suit you.

It is known that certain brain activity is related to conscious experience, and that in the absence of this specific brain activity there is no conscious experience.....it happens to you every time the brain puts you to sleep at night. You are dormant while the brain performs other tasks, repair and maintenance, consolidating memory, sorting information, etc.....then you are awakened to face a new day, a means to interact with the world and its objects and events.

That is what you pathologically ignore in order to maintain an unfounded belief in autonomy of mind.

It is known that certain brain activity is related to conscious experience...

Related?

Yes if some activity creates a mind it is related to that mind.

It does not necessarily control that mind.

It may just create an autonomous agent. An unknown phenomena.

And all experience of intention agrees with the idea that the mind is autonomous. Never does the arm just move on it's own and pick up the spoon.

To conclude without even knowing what the mind is that it is not autonomous, despite all evidence to the contrary, is just foolishness, not science.

Nothing about the brain is autonomous. It is all reflexive activity.

Autonomy has to come from something besides reflexive tissue.

It is known that certain brain activity is related to conscious experience...

Related?

And all experience of intention agrees with the idea that the mind is autonomous. Never does the arm just move on it's own and pick up the spoon.

To conclude without even knowing what the mind is that it is not autonomous, despite all evidence to the contrary, is just foolishness, not science.

You persistently ignore the necessary means and mechanisms that generate your conscious experience of mind. What you continue to assert implies that mind somehow forms itself.

There is no mind without a brain.
No brain, no mind.

There is no objective "mind". Mind is the term that is used to refer to subjective experience, the collated data, activity, and memory of a functioning brain.

There is no mind without a brain.
No brain, no mind.

There is no objective "mind". Mind is the term that is used to refer to subjective experience, the collated data, activity, and memory of a functioning brain.

You can have a brain and no mind. So they are not the same thing.

You can have a living active brain and no mind so they are not the same thing.

You can have a normally active brain and administer propofol and there is no mind.

You can have a normally active brain and be asleep and there is no mind.

So a mind is a brain behaving in a specific way with very specific conditions.

It is far more than just a brain. It is far more than just a functioning brain.

Saying the mind arises from a functioning brain is so non-specific to be meaningless. It is like saying digestion arises from a functioning small intestine and thinking you have some understanding of digestion. It is like saying respiration arises from a functioning lung and thinking you have some understanding of respiration.

Knowing where something happens does not mean you know what is happening.

How does the ability for a subjective mind to have subjective experiences arise from a functioning brain?

That is an understanding.

That is the objective mind.

Related?

You persistently ignore the necessary means and mechanisms that generate your conscious experience of mind. What you continue to assert implies that mind somehow forms itself.

The conditions for a subjective mind to arise is called the "objective mind".

Tell me about it.

You don't even know the objective mind must exist for a subjective mind to exist much less know what it is.

What you say makes no sense. You are making up your own terms and conditions and asserting them. Come back when you have a rational argument supported by research.

If I say "small intestine" have I explained anything about digestion?

Why do you think saying "brain" explains anything about the mind?

You have a mind but don't seem capable of using it.

Either the subjective mind arises by magic or it arises because of specific objective activity.

The specific objective activity that gives rise to the subjective mind is the objective mind.

If this makes no sense that is called cognitive dissonance.

It is something a "proper" education can produce.

Back
Top Bottom