• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is nature the only true, holy, and worthy God?

[

Didn't Jesus say something about seeing the mote in ones own eyes, or casting the first stone? You are a Christian are you not?

Do you know what Jesus wrote in the sand and why that phrase was used.

I do.

The victim was to cast the first stone and he was not there.

No real charge could be laid and thus there was no sinner to stone.

Regards
DL

I suppose 2000 years ago Gnostic wolud be proclaiming 'I am the light and the way'....

He is playing the role of a latter day Jesus.

No.

I seek Christ in me.

You are incorrect as we proclaim that we are all lights and are able to make our way without a genocidal prick of a god to guide us into homophobia and misogyny.

Women and gays are made in God's image.

Men know this. The lesser men do not.

Regards
DL

As I said, you get off on playing Jesus. Just like those evil mainstream Christians do.

All I ask of anyone is practice what you preach.

I do, but the stupid do not see it.

Get on issue and off the personal or fuck right off you piece of minute mental garbage.

Regards
DL

Women come from a rib in your book of ideas

I believe that I'm probably in a simulation and that it would have been created by an intelligent force. I think the outermost world is completely naturalistic though if we're in a simulation we probably wouldn't have knowledge of the naturalistic outer world's details.

Besides... the mechanisms of the universe, the fixed laws & processes, producing the USUAL properties in matter, is mechanically superior, it seems to me. Man made machines don't maintain themselves. If there's no one there to maintain them -the machines will never run again. The universe is always in motion, spinning and coliding forming more of the repetitive same...so predictable you can produce charts and periodic tables by etc. & etc.

Everything runs down. Whether it is life forms, stars, galaxies, and black holes created by nature, or machines created by humans - everything eventually runs down. Humans run down and die in 50 to 100 years, stars live for millions (super-giants) to hundreds of billions (red dwarfs) of years, while some structures like back holes last for trillions of trillions of years. But they all eventually wither away to nothing.

No issues with the statement above. Although.. along those lines of thought, why should it mean the universe, which is often magnificently & majestically described often in awe - should we also then say to also mean: "the universe is faulty" in the 'grand scheme of things,' just because from the engineer human perspective, the universe (outside) is harsh to humans?

In the Grand scheme of things, and atheistic terms - humans are insignificant aren't they?

Your second point is that nature appears to be a machine, and I think it is wrong to characterize it that way. The reality we observe is driven by the interaction of matter and energy following apparently simple patterns which we call the laws of nature. Our universe is very young, a mere 13.8 billion years old, and it started from a state of low entropy and very small inhomogeneities that resulted in the existence of matter/energy gradients across spacetime. It is the existence of these gradients that make the universe behave the way it does today, but these gradients will be equalized over time, and in about 10^150 years or so these gradients will cease to exist. And time will cease to exist along with it.

I describe it that way (as have non-religious have too) - because with all those processes throughout space and time or whatever, as you posted above - the universe produces and functions like a 'factory plant and recycling plant.' Currently so far... and from the understanding concluded from scientific observations. The universe keeps doing what it does automatically, producing planets and stars etc...

There's no issue again in my view, when it comes to Entropy, as this also agrees with my theistic pov, that the old things (world or universe), will fade away!

Last edited:
Christians apologetics-Gnostic apologetics....six of one half a dozen the other. Jesus freaks always mold the scant lines in the gospels to fit their own views.

If your slate be clean cast the first stone.

The meek shall inherit the Earth.

One of the few clear alleged statements by Jesus is on fornication. He lumped it with murder. Divorce and remarry and you are a fornicator.

How do Gnostic Christians stand on fornication and divorce?

Funny, I don't see 'fuck' said anywhere in the gospels. Where's the universal love dude? Love your neighbor s yourself?

I believe that I'm probably in a simulation and that it would have been created by an intelligent force. I think the outermost world is completely naturalistic though if we're in a simulation we probably wouldn't have knowledge of the naturalistic outer world's details.

Who is the I you are referring to ?

No issues with the statement above. Although.. along those lines of thought, why should it mean the universe, which is often magnificently & majestically described often in awe - should we also then say to also mean: "the universe is faulty" in the 'grand scheme of things,' just because from the engineer human perspective, the universe (outside) is harsh to humans?

The universe is what it is. The term faulty implies that something, in this case the universe, is unable to perform some function for which it was designed. Since there is no evidence that the universe (a) was designed, and (b) that it serves some purpose, it would be inappropriate to describe the universe as faulty.

However, if someone were to assert that the universe was designed to support life, as creationists do, then it would be reasonable to point out that an overwhelmingly vast majority of the the universe is hostile to the existence of life. Which appears to rebut the creationist claim that the universe was designed to support life.

Context is important.

In the Grand scheme of things, and atheistic terms - humans are insignificant aren't they?

Insignificant to whom? Who came up with this grand scheme that you are talking about?

Since there is no evidence that the universe is sentient, the existence of humans would not appear to be of any significance to the universe. The question is meaningless - it is similar to asking, "what does that rock think about the existence of humans?". The rock cannot think.

If you are asking whether human existence is significant to humans, then the answer would be "DUH!!".

Your second point is that nature appears to be a machine, and I think it is wrong to characterize it that way. The reality we observe is driven by the interaction of matter and energy following apparently simple patterns which we call the laws of nature. Our universe is very young, a mere 13.8 billion years old, and it started from a state of low entropy and very small inhomogeneities that resulted in the existence of matter/energy gradients across spacetime. It is the existence of these gradients that make the universe behave the way it does today, but these gradients will be equalized over time, and in about 10^150 years or so these gradients will cease to exist. And time will cease to exist along with it.

I describe it that way (as have non-religious have too) - because with all those processes throughout space and time or whatever, as you posted above - the universe produces and functions like a 'factory plant and recycling plant.' Currently so far... and from the understanding concluded from scientific observations. The universe keeps doing what it does automatically, producing planets and stars etc...

Just because the universe does something does not mean or even imply that it was designed to do that thing. Here in South Carolina, it rains from time to time. That doesn't mean the weather was designed to produce rain on South Carolina.

There's no issue again in my view, when it comes to Entropy, as this also agrees with my theistic pov, that the old things (world or universe), will fade away!

Really, the Bible talks about entropy, heat death and degradation of energy/matter gradients over a period of 10^150 years? I must have missed it. Which verse is that again?

The Genesis narrative is propably a part of why we have a hard time recognizing we are not special or superior.

Ocean plankton dies and we die.
Ants and worms aerate hte soli.

Back when it was observed that bee populations were deckining due to an unknown pathogen I remember Hannity saying what's the big deal and mocked govt soending money o it. Bees pollinate. Polination goes down plants go down and humans go down.

There is no superiority of humans, only a combination of language, brain, and dexterity from evolution that gets us into trouble. We are no more significant than ants and worms in the grand scheme of things, IOW the ecosystem.

We live within a tiny volume compared to the vast observed universe. Insignificant. We live in a thin shell of brethable atmosphere about 10,000 feet above the surface. That is it.

Perhaps god thought we were a dangerous experiment and placed us in a vacuum to keep us isolated from the rest of the universe.

Yeah really, what resources does Jerusalem have?
Some people thought the great salt lake was great I guess, all kind of weird behavioral anomalies with religion.
This isn't rocket science.

Who is the I you are referring to ?
The being the observer is currently inhabiting - or something like that.

The universe is what it is. The term faulty implies that something, in this case the universe, is unable to perform some function for which it was designed. Since there is no evidence that the universe (a) was designed, and (b) that it serves some purpose, it would be inappropriate to describe the universe as faulty.

I will be curious to know if you have been unaware (it seems) of the often 'said' notion by atheists that "if the universe was a design, then it's a "poor design" etc. & etc., i.e. faulty. My response to the intial post of stevebank was in context; to his thought from an engineer/ human perspective when he syays: "All that does speak to me, it says the universe is a violent chaotic existence. From an engineering view anything that designed it or caused it to be has its head up its ass."

Whether the universe design was intentional or not, I merely posted a different opinion.. not a claim.

However, if someone were to assert that the universe was designed to support life, as creationists do, then it would be reasonable to point out that an overwhelmingly vast majority of the the universe is hostile to the existence of life. Which appears to rebut the creationist claim that the universe was designed to support life.

Context is important.

If creationist claim this then you'll have to tell me which ones. Christian creationists do not make claims for other similarly evolved, organic life being out there. That goes against being centre of God's creation.

In fact having evidence for more life out there would be in favour and in line with the concept hypothesis, "there must be many Earth like planets, or other forms of life to be out there," because logically - the universe being so great in size, and solar-sytems so great in number to exist (and thats just from our own galaxy alone) - should therefore I would think, sensibly posit the idea that there'd be ALL types of combinations and various stages for life! What more, if adding and increasing the probabilites many fold from the other galaxies that are similar too? Ufo-ers would be your best allies on this. But... unfortunately, there is no evidence for life out there! We seem to be alone.

In regards to the "rebuttal." If the universe is a design. The universe DOES support life. You are it!

Insignificant to whom? Who came up with this grand scheme that you are talking about?

Since there is no evidence that the universe is sentient, the existence of humans would not appear to be of any significance to the universe. The question is meaningless - it is similar to asking, "what does that rock think about the existence of humans?". The rock cannot think.

If you are asking whether human existence is significant to humans, then the answer would be "DUH!!".

The insignificance was taking from the atheist viewpoint - in the context that the viewpoint is that we are not the centre of the uiverse. In the grand scheme of things - significantly small.

Just because the universe does something does not mean or even imply that it was designed to do that thing. Here in South Carolina, it rains from time to time. That doesn't mean the weather was designed to produce rain on South Carolina.

Like the above response, there are no claims regarding what the universe does, implies the evidence for intentional design. I gave a different viewpoint in context that the universe behaves systematically and mechanically.

Really, the Bible talks about entropy, heat death and degradation of energy/matter gradients over a period of 10^150 years? I must have missed it. Which verse is that again?

Verses plural, because context matters as you say. Death (and degradation) came into the world (multiple verses) from sin - all things living, plants and animals and mankind, eventually dies. Old things, old world will fade away in Revelation. I said it agrees (going in the same direction with entropy) with your post above.

Last edited:
Not a claim???

Correct me if I am wrong. Christians believe god created everything. An omniscient all knowing all powerful god not restricted by what we call laws of science.

Is god not all powerful? That is a yes no question.

How can the universe as it is not be in accordance with its creator? A traditional Christian response is god has a plan but we can not understand it.

Adjustment of theology to deal with inconvenient questions is called apologetics.

Not a claim???

Correct me if I am wrong. Christians believe god created everything. An omniscient all knowing all powerful god not restricted by what we call laws of science.

Is god not all powerful? That is a yes no question.
Ok, I think we have to be a little more defining here in context, when talking about claims. One can easily fall into some language trap or misunderstanding. So IOW - I do not make the claim that astro-physics, astronomical science PROVES creation!!

How can the universe as it is not be in accordance with its creator? A traditional Christian response is god has a plan but we can not understand it.
Adjustment of theology to deal with inconvenient questions is called apologetics.

I gave an answer; doesn't mean its correct of course, but you don't like it. Tough cheese.

Back
Top Bottom