• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is squinting a habit of Narcissists?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I've been noticing lately the commonality of Narcissists who look like they're always or often squinting. What do you think?

It may of course be confirmation bias (hence my post here to discuss and dissect), but it interested me.

I did some googling to see if it's true and no obvious literature came up. But on the act of squinting tiself, I could see why it might be a habit for those who, as a group, tend to feel like any discussion is an attack on them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/200912/the-body-language-the-eyes
I look at the eyes principally to tell me when someone is comfortable and relaxed. I also look at the eyes to tell me when someone is suddenly troubled by a subject or an event. Immediately I will see the orbits narrow, what I call the Clint Eastwood effect (remember him in those Italian Westerns right before he was going to shoot, he always squinted). Squinting or the narrowing of the eye orbits indicates, very accurately, discomfort, stress, anger, or issues. I have capitalized on this behavior in negotiations as opposing counsel read each paragraph out loud; we could see which articles in the document were going to be problematic by the squinting of the eyes at each truculent juncture. This behavior is obviously millions of years old and it very elegantly communicates how we feel precisely at that moment.

Squinting like a predator, maybe, or like a cornered animal. Hmmmm.

from http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/parts_body_language/eyes_body_language.htm
Squinting
Narrowing of a person's eyes can indicate evaluation, perhaps considering that something told to them is not true (or at least not fully so).

Squinting can also indicate uncertainty ('I cannot quite see what is meant here.')

Narrowing eyes has a similar effect to constricted pupils in creating a greater depth of field so you can see more detail. This is used by animals when determining distance to their prey and can have a similar aggressive purpose.

Squinting can be used by liars who do not want the other person to detect their deception.

When a person thinks about something and does not want to look at the internal image, they may involuntarily squint.

These represent possibly emotions that narcissists might feel more often than the rest of the population

I've been noticing lately the commonality of Narcissists who look like they're always or often squinting. What do you think?

It may of course be confirmation bias (hence my post here to discuss and dissect), but it interested me.

I did some googling to see if it's true and no obvious literature came up. But on the act of squinting tiself, I could see why it might be a habit for those who, as a group, tend to feel like any discussion is an attack on them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/200912/the-body-language-the-eyes
I look at the eyes principally to tell me when someone is comfortable and relaxed. I also look at the eyes to tell me when someone is suddenly troubled by a subject or an event. Immediately I will see the orbits narrow, what I call the Clint Eastwood effect (remember him in those Italian Westerns right before he was going to shoot, he always squinted). Squinting or the narrowing of the eye orbits indicates, very accurately, discomfort, stress, anger, or issues. I have capitalized on this behavior in negotiations as opposing counsel read each paragraph out loud; we could see which articles in the document were going to be problematic by the squinting of the eyes at each truculent juncture. This behavior is obviously millions of years old and it very elegantly communicates how we feel precisely at that moment.

If I were to speculate, without looking for a real answer, I would say body language has a very vague vocabulary.

I was once told that if a person looks down when trying to answer a question, they are trying to recall information. If they are look up, they are trying to formulate a lie. Whether this plays out in real life, I can't say with certainty.

Squinting is usually an unconscious action, but something inside the brain says, "Execute squint muscles," and you squint. Some people stick out their tongue when they thread a needle. This is because the part of the brain that controls the fine motor control in the fingers is also responsible for the tongue. There maybe a similar mechanism which causes us to squint when we aren't trying to block bright light.

Why did my son speed skate with his tongue hanging out like a hound dog?

If I were to speculate, without looking for a real answer, I would say body language has a very vague vocabulary.

I was once told that if a person looks down when trying to answer a question, they are trying to recall information. If they are look up, they are trying to formulate a lie. Whether this plays out in real life, I can't say with certainty.

Squinting is usually an unconscious action, but something inside the brain says, "Execute squint muscles," and you squint. Some people stick out their tongue when they thread a needle. This is because the part of the brain that controls the fine motor control in the fingers is also responsible for the tongue. There maybe a similar mechanism which causes us to squint when we aren't trying to block bright light.

from http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/parts_body_language/eyes_body_language.htm
Squinting
Narrowing of a person's eyes can indicate evaluation, perhaps considering that something told to them is not true (or at least not fully so).

Squinting can also indicate uncertainty ('I cannot quite see what is meant here.')

Narrowing eyes has a similar effect to constricted pupils in creating a greater depth of field so you can see more detail. This is used by animals when determining distance to their prey and can have a similar aggressive purpose.

Squinting can be used by liars who do not want the other person to detect their deception.

When a person thinks about something and does not want to look at the internal image, they may involuntarily squint.

These represent possibly emotions that narcissists might feel more often than the rest of the population

I don't see how narcissists would feel these more often, if anything the opposite. Narcissists seem to be very shallow, non-introspective, non-thinkers who are blindly certain about whatever it is they believe.

Back
Top Bottom