• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is there any way out for "INDIVIDUAL-1"?

An attempted coup looks about as likely to me as an impeachment.

It's interesting that you note this--a coup--as that has allegedly already happened and we're all just riding out this bizarre sham of a presidency, but then that also actually gives hope in that, if the leaks are true and Trump isn't really calling any important shots, then it makes more sense that the Republicans haven't already shut down Mueller and they are just waiting to use him as their cover to finally get rid of the dead weight.

Yeah - the next few months will tell the story. They can't ride it all the way to 11/2020. Either get the guns out into the streets or go with the flow.
Fortunately, not many Republican politicians are desperate in a way that rivals Trump's desperation. Nor are they quite as deluded.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of them who would gladly support a coup if they thought it would succeed AND leave them in a position of power. The Republican party has lost its soul, stands for absolutely nothing now, and consists only of individual opportunists with no uniting principle other than retention of power.

Nate Silver's conclusion bears posting in light of my argument (that the unleashing of Mueller and the subsequent Trump quagmire that will be the House investigations will have a significant impact):

I don’t want to go too far out on a limb in terms of any sort of prediction for 2020. In fact, lest you think that the midterms were the first step toward an inevitable one-term Trump presidency, several facts bear repeating: Most incumbent presidents win re-election, and although Democrats had a strong midterm this year, midterm election results aren’t strongly correlated with what happens in the presidential election two years later. Moreover, presidential approval numbers can shift significantly over two years, so while Trump would probably lose an election today on the basis of his approval ratings, his ratings today aren’t strongly predictive of what they’ll be in November 2020.

But presidents such as Reagan, Clinton and Obama, who recovered to win re-election after difficult midterms, didn’t do it without making some adjustments. Both Reagan and Clinton took a more explicitly bipartisan approach after their midterm losses. Obama at least acknowledged the scope of his defeat, owning up to his “shellacking” after 2010, although an initially bipartisan tone in 2011 had given way to a more combative approach by 2012. All three presidents also benefited from recovering economies — and although the economy is very strong now, there is arguably more downside than upside for Trump (voters have high expectations, but growth is more likely than not to slow a bit).

Trump’s political instincts, as strong as they are in certain ways, may also be miscalibrated. Trump would hate to acknowledge it, but he got most of the breaks in the 2016 election. He ran against a highly unpopular opponent in Clinton and benefited from the Comey letter in the campaign’s final days. He won the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote — an advantage that may or may not carry over to 2020, depending on whether voters in the Midwest are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt again. Meanwhile, this year’s midterms — as well as the various congressional special elections that were contested this year and last year — were fought largely on red turf, especially in the Senate, where Trump may well have helped Republican candidates in states such as Indiana and North Dakota. The Republican play-to-the-base strategy was a disaster in the elections in Virginia in 2017 and in most swing states and suburban congressional districts this year, however.

At the least, odds are that Trump needs a course-correction, and it’s anyone’s guess as to whether he’ll be willing to take one. While there’s some speculation that Trump could move in a more bipartisan direction, that hasn’t really been apparent yet in his actions since the midterms, or at least not on a consistent basis. Instead, he’s spent the first fortnight after the midterms firing his attorney general, implying that Democrats were trying to steal elections in Florida, and bragging about how he’d give himself an A-plus rating as president. The next two years will less be a test of Trump’s willpower than one of his dexterity and even his humility — not qualities he’s been known to have in great measure.

So, he'll be facing nothing but meticulously detailed attacks proving his extensive criminality at a time when he would desperately need to tack left in order to have any hope of winning re-election.

Anyone want to put money on him never once tacking left and thinking that will win?

Anyone want to put money on him never once tacking left and thinking that will win?
Never ONCE?
No, I wouldn't take that bet.

He'll tack.

Or at least appear to tack, or make reasonable statements that could lead an open-minded person to thinking he is tacking, or could maybe be persuaded to tack...

For a day.

And then break from his handlers, or read at least one evening headline calling him a sniveling wimpengloss for being politically correct, and he'll rage, and double-down on the original heading.

NS said:
...presidents such as Reagan, Clinton and Obama, who recovered to win re-election after difficult midterms, didn’t do it without making some adjustments.

Neither Reagan, nor Clinton nor Obama were in fear for their lives/freedom/fortune/families should they have failed to gain a second term.
We need to remember that when surmising what Cheato might and might not do.

NS said:
...presidents such as Reagan, Clinton and Obama, who recovered to win re-election after difficult midterms, didn’t do it without making some adjustments.

Neither Reagan, nor Clinton nor Obama were in fear for their lives/freedom/fortune/families should they have failed to gain a second term.
We need to remember that when surmising what Cheato might and might not do.

They were also all very politically astute and had experience in law and government. Trump's been in the White House two years and truly appears to have learned nothing.

He still attacks, attacks, attacks, and from his tweets this morning against the Mueller investigation, there is zero sign he'll ever depart from that caveman strategy. And as you pointed out, Trump is so fucked if he doesn't win in 2020. He essentially has to die in office to keep from getting prosecuted by several states. But again, is he even capable of changing enough to win another election? Is it realistic to think this crude baboon can suddenly become eloquent and articulate reasonable policies that close the wealth gap, repair the divides he's exacerbated and created among Americans and America's longterm allies, etc.

Fantasy fiction does exist, so it's not beyond imagining such a thing. But I'd expect the moon to be converted into a death star by Space Force before we see Trump make such dramatic changes.

Trump is so fucked if he doesn't win in 2020. He essentially has to die in office to keep from getting prosecuted by several states.

Indeed. I expect a few wars and possibly a botched coup attempt to occur before the 2020 elections. Of course that assumes a lower level of delusion on Cheato's part. If he's really 100% wacked, he might think he's gong to sail right through 2020 without a problem.

At this point I'm hoping for the latter...

Trump is so fucked if he doesn't win in 2020. He essentially has to die in office to keep from getting prosecuted by several states.

Indeed. I expect a few wars and possibly a botched coup attempt to occur before the 2020 elections. Of course that assumes a lower level of delusion on Cheato's part. If he's really 100% wacked, he might think he's gong to sail right through 2020 without a problem.

At this point I'm hoping for the latter...

Well, again, if we can believe the leaks, a successful coup has already happened in a sense and Trump isn't running things, some ironic incarnation of a "deep state" is running his administration. Which, again, should give us hope, because if that IS the case then they wouldn't have any problem with the House Dems being the ones to blame for Trump's ouster. Indeed, I suspect that most in Washington have known Trump will be taken out and were just waiting to see the results of the midterms to confirm it.

There's a good piece I missed when first published back in October (before the midterms, so it's equally prophetic) in Fortune that may give you more hope: The Far Right Represents Only 6% of U.S. Citizens, Study Says. 67% Make up the 'Exhausted Majority.'

I love that term as it perfectly describes what we just saw reflected in the midterms.

Snippets:

Researchers looking into political and social divides in America said in a new study that only 6% of American fit the definition of far right, people who feel that America is under threat and they’re the last line of defense in protecting traditional values with strident uncompromising views. On the other end of the political spectrum, the study identified 8% of Americans as “Progressive Activists” on the far left, focused on equity, fairness, and the direction American is taking. Compared to those on the right, this group is more secular and urban, and rejects traditional authority while trying to rectify “historical injustices.”

The study, called “Hidden Tribes,” broke out results into seven categories, with 67% of those surveyed falling into what researchers labeled the “Exhausted Majority.” This largest grouping looks for common ground, has opinions based on situations instead of conforming to strict ideologies—and hates polarization.
Researchers used uniformity of answers to certain core questions to sort out the groupings. This resulted in a single far-left progressive slot (8%), and both the far-right Devoted Conservatives (6%), and a slightly less rigid, but still dogmatic right-wing “Traditional Conservatives” group (19%).

By these numbers, we're looking at a much smaller core percentile than I ever estimated, with a much smaller orbit of second tier than I expected. Recall that Republicans make up only 26% of registered voters and right-leaning Indies 37%, or a total of 42% of all registered voters (as of 2016, but I believe the midterms saw a more dramatic shift left among Indies by some 12 points, but let's leave that out for now).

So, now we're looking at only 6% (out of 42%) that are blocks of cement (as opposed to my estimates of around 15-20%). So, just chuck them out and we've now got 19% out of 36% of right-leaning registered voters--or another 6%--that are among the second tier of dogmatics, leaving a good 30% that are up for persuasion.

Back
Top Bottom