• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is this even legal? - Part 89043011

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Okay, so Trump tweeted this morning:
If the Democrats think they are going to waste Taxpayer Money investigating us at the House level, then we will likewise be forced to consider investigating them for all of the leaks of Classified Information, and much else, at the Senate level. Two can play that game!

This is very vague and so I don't think it's an illegal thing to say, however, if combined with actual actions under his bidding, what would it mean? Retaliation. Black mail? Anti-whistle-blower protections? Even conspiracy--I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Obstruction of justice. Essentially, Democrats (and Republicans, yeah, right!) ought to investigate the Executive branch at the House level, if and when it is legal and appropriate to do. Refusal to expose illegal actions of the Executive out of fear or reprisal is not acceptable. Such retaliation is not acceptable either.

As to the specific piece of leaking classified information, maybe sometimes that is done for political reasons and if so those specific instances may be illegal. However, if it is done to expose lies and attempt to overthrow democracy or if it is done as a whistleblower re: something illegal, then no retaliation ought to be done. A whistleblower especially is protected by law.

If the Democrats think they are going to waste Taxpayer Money investigating us at the House level, then we will likewise be forced to consider investigating them for all of the leaks of Classified Information, and much else, at the Senate level. Two can play that game!

This is very vague and so I don't think it's an illegal thing to say, however, if combined with actual actions under his bidding, what would it mean? Retaliation. Black mail? Anti-whistle-blower protections? Even conspiracy--I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. Obstruction of justice. Essentially, Democrats (and Republicans, yeah, right!) ought to investigate the Executive branch at the House level, if and when it is legal and appropriate to do. Refusal to expose illegal actions of the Executive out of fear or reprisal is not acceptable. Such retaliation is not acceptable either.

As to the specific piece of leaking classified information, maybe sometimes that is done for political reasons and if so those specific instances may be illegal. However, if it is done to expose lies and attempt to overthrow democracy or if it is done as a whistleblower re: something illegal, then no retaliation ought to be done. A whistleblower especially is protected by law.
Except when they aren't. Even under Obama, there were a lot of times that whistle-blower laws were ignored at the federal level and they went after the wb anyway. :(

It looks good on paper, but if the wb protection laws are ignored, it doesn't really matter.

Who cares if it's legal? This is Trumpy at his best so just ignore it. If you don't ignore these type comments it only makes him worth listening to at some level of idiocy. Let's get past the soap opera.

In the Navy, it's actually illegal to bring charges against the command if they bring charges against you.

A sailor can't know that his division lead broke the law, but use that as blackmail to keep them from charging him. So, if you now about illegal acts, either reveal it or swallow it forever. Not hold it 'just in case.'

If Trump really feels that the Democrats are culpable for leaks, and that they can get a conviction, he should just let slip the dogs of Federal investigations. Right after they finish Locking HER UP, and prosecuting all the White House staff for leaks and treason and mishandling of classified information...

Well, it’s really just to muddy the waters and have the conversation centred around the fact that investigations are politically motivated bullshit.

Looks like just another tiny drop in the ocean of evidence of obstruction of justice by INDIVIDUAL-1.

This is what was once called "waving a red flag at a bull." Nobody is scared of Trump's threats and after the Benghazi investigation, the thing about wasting tax payer money is a dog that won't hunt.

Here in Texas politics, there is the old legislature's concept of what are called cockroaches. "It is not what they carry away that is the problem, it is what they get into and mess up." Trump is a cockroach. He is suggesting something that will mes things up, but in the end, will only delay the inevitable. All Trump can do is act irresponsibly, infuriate people and in the end, create more enemies and put GOP politicians in an unenviable position. Trump can either bluster and rant ineffectually, or act and call down doom on himself and the GOP.

Back
Top Bottom