• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is this the latest thing?

I got unsolicited mail from someone one town over inviting online or phone discussions of "any topic." Four scripture quotes included.
You should have called and asked what would a good day be to discuss the latest in BDSM and other sexual variances. :D

I did consider it. Or "My daughter is a virgin. I mean, technically. She's done oral, but never taken her panties off. How does that affect her bride-price, biblically?"

That's a good question. Would Deuteronomy 25:11 come into play here? It's more about a woman coming to the defense of her husband who's on the receiving end of a smiting and uses her hand to grab the smiter by the balls. You're supposed to cut off her hand "without pity." Seems harsh, but hey. Who are we to argue with the big guy. After all he does a lot of smiting and I bet he doesn't want some tart sneaking up behind him while he's enjoying a good smite and ruining the moment that way.

I guess if she does the oral without ever touching the dude's naughty parts with her hands maybe she's okay?

Never had the experience of being bothered by religion salesmen by telephone. Thanks for the heads-up though. If it happens maybe I can get the number and call back.

One thing I've learned from these encounters is that if you act interested, even if only for intellectual/behavioral/cultural/curiosity/entertainment reasons, they'll bother you again thinking you're really interested in their message.

I think they'd have more luck if they brought along one of those dogs that is trained to be friendly and give support.

It took ~15 years of growling at them, but I think I've gotten most of the local door-to-door evangelists to put us on their 'do-not-bother' list. (We've lived at our current address for over 22 years now, so the last several years have been peaceful in that department.) Unfortunately, I still get folks approaching me in store parking lots as I load my purchases into my car, trying to hand me religious tracts and spew idiocy at me. I tend to be polite(ish) and a bit short, making it clear that I'm not interested, as I refuse their tracts/litter.

It's not about converting us though. It's about ensuring that the faithful continue to feel rejected by anyone not already in the cult.

I agree. Evangelism makes no sense other than in the context of strengthening the bonds between cult members, who can relate to each other through their common experience of feeling rejected, or even persecuted. Religion has very little to do with the worship of imaginary god(s), and everything to do with the sense of identity and belonging people derive from being part of a close-knit group.

Most of my annoying calls and things have been from people like "Microsoft technical support" who happen to have my number and know somehow, I have an issue with my windows. I get the odd e-mail from a "representative" of a former Banker, Politician or Business man that wants to give me several hundred thousand dollars. I get through the letter box from pizza places, and other takeaways which at least have discount coupons! I also have had a few rings & text where there is an offer to take my case and claim for an accident ( I never had) but they seem to have heard I had.

Please be careful. These people are out to scam you, and you should never give them your payment information or remote access to your computer. Microsoft, the IRS and your bank/credit card company will almost never call you on the phone (except perhaps to verify an unusual charge), and they will never ask you for your private information (login/password) or payment over the phone.

It took ~15 years of growling at them, but I think I've gotten most of the local door-to-door evangelists to put us on their 'do-not-bother' list. (We've lived at our current address for over 22 years now, so the last several years have been peaceful in that department.) Unfortunately, I still get folks approaching me in store parking lots as I load my purchases into my car, trying to hand me religious tracts and spew idiocy at me. I tend to be polite(ish) and a bit short, making it clear that I'm not interested, as I refuse their tracts/litter.

It's not about converting us though. It's about ensuring that the faithful continue to feel rejected by anyone not already in the cult.

This guy explains it perfectly:

View attachment 29726

View attachment 29727

View attachment 29728

This is a great post. I almost always take time to talk with door knockers. Their issues usually fascinate me.

Once though, I had an older white woman who looked in her 70s show up with a young black boy who looked around 10. I listened for a minute then squatted down to his level and told him that what he was doing was indeed nuts and that he would probably be very angry about it someday but to remember that the people who did it to him really didn't know any better and that they thought they were doing a good thing.

I agree. Evangelism makes no sense other than in the context of strengthening the bonds between cult members, who can relate to each other through their common experience of feeling rejected, or even persecuted. Religion has very little to do with the worship of imaginary god(s), and everything to do with the sense of identity and belonging people derive from being part of a close-knit group.

That's really a good observation that should have made itself obvious to me many moons ago. Psychologically it must be related to xenophobia, self-pity, supremacism, basically lots of human behaviors that should be shit-canned, at least for anyone with some basic vision of a human future.

But If I'm just going day to day, waiting to be abducted after I'm dead, then such musings fall into the category of unknown unknowns.

Sounds like Christianity is the Amway of the religious world.
Um, every Amway vendor i have ever met was recruited by someone at their church.
It was weird. Time after time. Guy on the boat tells about this friend from church, yadda, yadda, yadda, then he's selling Amway. Can't recruit other sailors, from his bowling league, from his D&D group, no dice.
But picks up more from church....

Back
Top Bottom