• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is this the skeleton of legendary devil dog Black Shuck who terrorised 16th century East Anglia?

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...huck-terrorised-16th-century-East-Anglia.html
According to folklore, Black Shuck terrorised East Anglia in 16th century
He towered at seven feet tall, with flaming red eyes and shaggy black hair
Now, remains of legendary hound may have been unearthed during a dig
Bones found by archeologists among ruins at Leiston Abbey in Suffolk
They belong to 'male dog', standing at seven feet tall and weighing 200lbs
Experts are currently carrying out radio carbon dating tests on remains
black-shuck.jpg

If he had flaming red eyes then where is the other eye located? Is it more of a brownish red? :p
Or is it growing out of his shoulder resident evil style, not visible in the picture?

If he had flaming red eyes then where is the other eye located? Is it more of a brownish red? :p

LOL, reminds me a bit of this comic strip http://manalanextdoor.com/yokai-lottery

Yokai! =D
I love 'em ever since buying the "Yokai attack!" guide on all the japanese yokai mythology.
I wonder if that guy is finnish, what with "Manala" in the name and all that scandinavia stuff...
(even though we're kinda not technically part of scandinavia).

A bit of a derail here, but regarding yokai I've had an eye on this.
Have you read it by any chance? I'm sure he might know his stuff, but he was also one of the
guys looking for the Loch Ness monster in that bullshit episode, so I don't know what to think.
Seems like quite a tome on the subject though.

By seven feet tall, am I to assume this is the conventional measurement, at the shoulder?

At an estimated weight of less than 100kg, I'm pretty sure they mean its length, probably including tail; or, maybe, it's height if it had been using a bipedal posture. Just think of any life specimens of quadruped mammals with are measured more than 2 metres at the shoulder. That's one foot above the upper end of the typical range for  American bisons, large specimens of which weigh around 1000kg, and within the normal range of  Sumatran elephants, who "reach a shoulder height of between 2 and 3.2 m (6.6 and 10.5 ft), weigh between 2,000 and 4,000 kg (4,400 and 8,800 lb)".

In other words, if it were 7 feet at the shoulder, it'd have to be 10-20 times heavier than the article reports.

They belong to 'male dog', standing at seven feet tall and weighing 200lbs
That didn't sound right to me, so I did a quick Internet check,

Very large dog breeds like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes apparently have a normal weight range from 100-170lbs with a height of around 3 feet. Scale that up to 7 feet tall and you'll have a dog with a lot more weight than 200lbs surely.

By seven feet tall, am I to assume this is the conventional measurement, at the shoulder?

At an estimated weight of less than 100kg, I'm pretty sure they mean its length, probably including tail; or, maybe, it's height if it had been using a bipedal posture. Just think of any life specimens of quadruped mammals with are measured more than 2 metres at the shoulder. That's one foot above the upper end of the typical range for  American bisons, large specimens of which weigh around 1000kg, and within the normal range of  Sumatran elephants, who "reach a shoulder height of between 2 and 3.2 m (6.6 and 10.5 ft), weigh between 2,000 and 4,000 kg (4,400 and 8,800 lb)".

In other words, if it were 7 feet at the shoulder, it'd have to be 10-20 times heavier than the article reports.
That was pretty much my point. 7 feet tall didn't seem to make sense, using the term in the conventional way.

Or is it growing out of his shoulder resident evil style, not visible in the picture?

I've even heard he's a headless dog with one or two red eyes. Goodness knows where he keeps them.

Back
Top Bottom