• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Islam and feminism, I need your thoughts on this

No, sir. It was not an attempt at humour. It was humour and it was funny.

You know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. That was a quality joke.

Uh, no, actually, it made no sense and had really no bearing on much of anything. I'm not sure what bizarre universe exists in which that comment constitutes quality humor. Canada I guess...

Uh, no, actually, it made no sense and had really no bearing on much of anything. I'm not sure what bizarre universe exists in which that comment constitutes quality humor. Canada I guess...

How can you say that it didn't have a bearing on anything? It was a survery of people wearing masks and a comment about how the researchers wouldn't notice the same person answering multiple times ... because she was wearing a mask.

It was both significantly chuckleworthy and right on topic. Excellent work on my part.

How can you say that it didn't have a bearing on anything? It was a survery of people wearing masks and a comment about how the researchers wouldn't notice the same person answering multiple times ... because she was wearing a mask.

It was both significantly chuckleworthy and right on topic. Excellent work on my part.

OK, I admit it, that's actually pretty clever. Thumbs up.

No more posting for me while I'm supposed to be working. Went straight over my head.

Well, the original poster can always ask why if intelligence and personality is all that matters, in Muslim countries,are girls married as children legally?

Also I don't understand why what ever the poster said is called biologism.

Even in those cases, the headscarf or veil is a barrier to knowing her, not a conduit. It's a lot like talking to someone wearing mirrored sunglasses - except these women do it every single time you talk to them with a stated desire of hiding part of themselves from you.

Eh, I can understand how someone might feel that way speaking to women that wear a full niqab or burqa, but just a headscarf?

In my high school there a lot of girls who wore a headscarf, although I don't recall there being any girls who wore the niaqab or burqa, but you did see those sorts of full-face covering garments on women at the mall, for example, from time to time.

A headscarf to me doesn't feel like a barrier to knowing a person anymore than a shirt.

Not sure about "no special clothing" worldwide as you will definitely find that hijab is a common fixture in pretty much all Muslim communities, but burqa most certainly is not.

Thx for the stats, but I was a little confused when it said % on just some of the numbers, but I guess it's meant to be % on all the numbers. Then the question is, how many have been asked in this survey, 20, 100 or 10 000 people? Men, women or mixed? I also wonder how the question was asked, like, "is this appropriate while everything else is bad", or "is this appropriate because everything is appropriate", or "is this the minimum limit of fabric". I'll await some clarification. :)

Thx for the stats, but I was a little confused when it said % on just some of the numbers, but I guess it's meant to be % on all the numbers. Then the question is, how many have been asked in this survey, 20, 100 or 10 000 people? Men, women or mixed? I also wonder how the question was asked, like, "is this appropriate while everything else is bad", or "is this appropriate because everything is appropriate", or "is this the minimum limit of fabric". I'll await some clarification. :)

I haven't read the entire study, and since I already had one derp moment today from not reading carefully I can't really clarify at the moment. But you can check the whole study out:

http://mevs.org/files/tmp/Tunisia_FinalReport.pdf

The reason I posted it though is that I think that focusing on the burqa doesn't tell us a whole lot, because statistically and socially it's not very prominent. Hijab is another story, but hijab doesn't involve nearly the same level of concealment or impairment of interaction with others.

Even in those cases, the headscarf or veil is a barrier to knowing her, not a conduit. It's a lot like talking to someone wearing mirrored sunglasses - except these women do it every single time you talk to them with a stated desire of hiding part of themselves from you.

Eh, I can understand how someone might feel that way speaking to women that wear a full niqab or burqa, but just a headscarf?

In my high school there a lot of girls who wore a headscarf, although I don't recall there being any girls who wore the niaqab or burqa, but you did see those sorts of full-face covering garments on women at the mall, for example, from time to time.

A headscarf to me doesn't feel like a barrier to knowing a person anymore than a shirt.

Thanks for the question, I can see why that didn't mke sense without more detail...

It's because the reason given for wearing the headscarf is that I'm somehow incapable of seeing past her overwhelming sexuality ooozing out of her hair and neck to notice her vast intelligence and sparkling personality.

They don't say that they wear it "to be modest". They SAY that they wear it so that they can be truly known for their personality and intelligence. This claim that I cannot know their personality or intelligence if I see their hair or neck creates a barrier to getting to know them.

IF they claimed that they felt naked and exposed, I would interpret things differently. But they carefully point out that is NOT why they wear it.

You mean that was an attempt at humor?

See Tom how justified a smiley is to signal humor rather than expecting occasional posters to be as familiar with your style of communication as other PD residents are.

We do not have perfect knowledge of counterfactual history. That doesn't mean that we do not have some idea. Specifically, the monarchy is under threat from the more fundamentalist side, not liberal.

Calling it THE monarchy as if it is your buddy is nauseating. It is a brutal and absolute dictatorship that beheads people for witchcraft and sorcery in 2014. It is the source of many problems with fundamentalism in the region.

What your buddy THE monarchy is under threat from now is mostly it's own creations coming back to bite it.

So if this monster had never existed the problems it helped create wouldn't exist either.

You can't use the fact that so many people who are interested in more than money despise this totalitarian dictatorship as a reason it should be supported.

We won't be able to forego oil for several more decades even under best case scenarios. Sure, our goal should be to create alternative energy systems but also encourage oil production outside the Middle East, preferably friendly, developed nations with high environmental standards. Which is why I find the hostility toward Canadian oil sands so baffling. How is being more reliant on OPEC (including Venezuelan oil sands but of course lefties like Venezuela because Chavez) helping anything, even the environment?

How do you know what is possible in 10 years if we tried as hard as we could? If we massively funded research into alternative energy sources there is no telling what might come out of that.

What we do know is that burning oil is making the planet less hospitable for many of us, and our sick need to control the oil supply has resulted in one fuck up after another. From our failed attempt to remove the elected leader of Venezuela to our removal of the elected government of Iran, to helping Saddam Hussein gain power, to an immoral and unbelievably costly unprovoked invasion of millions of Iraqi's, to propping up brutal dictatorships in cesspools like Saudi Arabia, everything we do we fuck up.

If you want to claim the plans and desires of the United States have improved the world in any way over the past 14 years you are lying.

Calling it THE monarchy as if it is your buddy is nauseating. It is a brutal and absolute dictatorship that beheads people for witchcraft and sorcery in 2014. It is the source of many problems with fundamentalism in the region.

What your buddy THE monarchy is under threat from now is mostly it's own creations coming back to bite it.

So if this monster had never existed the problems it helped create wouldn't exist either.

You can't use the fact that so many people who are interested in more than money despise this totalitarian dictatorship as a reason it should be supported.

We won't be able to forego oil for several more decades even under best case scenarios. Sure, our goal should be to create alternative energy systems but also encourage oil production outside the Middle East, preferably friendly, developed nations with high environmental standards. Which is why I find the hostility toward Canadian oil sands so baffling. How is being more reliant on OPEC (including Venezuelan oil sands but of course lefties like Venezuela because Chavez) helping anything, even the environment?

How do you know what is possible in 10 years if we tried as hard as we could? If we massively funded research into alternative energy sources there is no telling what might come out of that.

What we do know is that burning oil is making the planet less hospitable for many of us, and our sick need to control the oil supply has resulted in one fuck up after another. From our failed attempt to remove the elected leader of Venezuela to our removal of the elected government of Iran, to helping Saddam Hussein gain power, to an immoral and unbelievably costly unprovoked invasion of millions of Iraqi's, to propping up brutal dictatorships in cesspools like Saudi Arabia, everything we do we fuck up.

If you want to claim the plans and desires of the United States have improved the world in any way over the past 14 years you are lying.

You are pointing in the right direction. What is our biggest enemy? Our own inaction on the real problems that beset us, choosing instead to merely carry on supporting dictators and cultures that cannot improve as long as those we choose to support remain in power. Obama in Copenhagen to my way of thinking was a disgrace. We have given this man the bully pulpit and he has chosen the wrong people to support...or rather they have somehow convinced him to stick with the old ways and we know where that is headed.

Who was behind the Human Genome Project?

I was talking about a foreign policy action.

The Human Genome Project is just how the US economy works. The government pays massively for basic research and private companies make money on the things the research provides.

It was done in aviation and electronics and computers before the genome.

There is a whole new medical industry in genetic testing because of taxpayer investment. The majority of taxpayers will not see a dime of profits.

There is a whole new medical industry in genetic testing because of taxpayer investment. The majority of taxpayers will not see a dime of profits.

Why should the taxpayers see a dime of profits? What they should see is improved medical care.

Why should the taxpayers see a dime of profits? What they should see is improved medical care.

It was the investment of taxpayer money that brought about the technology.

Why no return on this investment besides what you must pay for?

It was the investment of taxpayer money that brought about the technology.

Why no return on this investment besides what you must pay for?

Suppose there was a return--where would it be coming from? The price of the drugs/treatments that were developed--thus money we pay. It's not like extracting money from corporations magically makes it from nothing no matter how many leftists think they can do this.

"self hating woman," "male-identified woman," "traitor to her sex" in response to "mansplaining"
or spreader of sexist propaganda, useful idiot
point out that the Koran is nothing but a whole bunch of "mansplaining", as the Prophet and the God are male, so why does she respect and accept it.

You could also look at gender-specific dress codes for women upheld by trqditional Chrisianity and how women have rebelled against them.

Note how Islamic extremist appreciate women's intelligence by shooting and kidnapping girl students and closing down schools for women in Pakistan, Afganistan and Nigeria.
Post pictures of sex-segregated worship in contemporary Islam and desegregated worship in Christianity.

And of course, the matter of far greater sartorial choice in Western countries, and of acknowledgement that different clothes for women (and men) may be suitable for different public functions rather than the uniformity of the burqua or niquab or hijab depending on which Islamic regiment a woman finds herself.

Back
Top Bottom