• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Islam just can't stand images of Mohammed

Yeah, because those two guys represent all of Islam.

:rolleyes:

The guys in the photo are the Garland PD? Not exactly pushing the "boys in blue" image are they? Maybe having a neighborhood cop walking a beat, building rapport with the community isn't such a good idea after all.

$20 says there's calls to drag the bodies through the streets of Garland.

Yeah, because those two guys represent all of Islam.

:rolleyes:
The millions worldwide that protest over cartoons certainly represent Islam. We could play this denial game with any group that doesn't have 100% participation when bad acts happen.

Reactions: WAB
The irony is that without these two bozos almost nobody would have heard about the Mohammed drawing contest in the first place.

The real problem is that we are a violent society doing violent things all over the middle east and Asia. The so-called cops looked more like soldiers than cops. We are being spoon fed a new image for law and order and it is very dangerous. The guys calling out the emotional terrorists probably knew the storm troopers were ready for any terrorist that might appear. Glad I don't live in Garland. My sympathies are all with those who want full expression of atheist values. That doesn't mean aggravating those who are sorely mentally disturbed at insuts to Islam.

I felt for Charley Hebdo and felt however they had no idea of how extremely disturbed Muslims could be and how easy it might be to find a bullet for all your artwork. But really, Garland Texas, give me a break. We need to be making a peace with Muslims, not creating set ups for the sick ones. We are not going to convert the Muslim world and they won't just lay down and die like these two did. All of our killing in THEIR HOME LANDS is every bit as disheartening and aggravating to them as their few killings here....even with 911. If we didn't have troops all over the world ferreting out Muslims and killing civilians at the same time, it would probably be safe to have Mohammed in a few dozen comic books here. Our international violence drives the terrorist violence here. That is so obvious, yet we turn a blind eye to it.

While I condemn the idea of harming anyone who merely tries to depict this person from history.

I also condemn idiots who go out of their way to provoke destructive emotion.

And can imagine a life without the desire to provoke others in this way or ever see a cartoon depiction of some person who's stories I don't believe.

The sane thing to do is to remove the very claims of religious believers from your mind and live a life free from their mental pollution.

The insane thing to do is to be so obsessed with the claims of others you try to provoke the worst of them to attempt violence.

While I condemn the idea of harming anyone who merely tries to depict this person from history. I also condemn idiots who go out of their way to provoke destructive emotion. And can imagine a life without the desire to provoke others in this way or ever see a cartoon depiction of some person who's stories I don't believe. The sane thing to do is to remove the very claims of religious believers from your mind and live a life free from their mental pollution. The insane thing to do is to be so obsessed with the claims of others you try to provoke the worst of them to attempt violence.
The above isn't possible if you live in a society that values free speech.

While I condemn the idea of harming anyone who merely tries to depict this person from history. I also condemn idiots who go out of their way to provoke destructive emotion. And can imagine a life without the desire to provoke others in this way or ever see a cartoon depiction of some person who's stories I don't believe. The sane thing to do is to remove the very claims of religious believers from your mind and live a life free from their mental pollution. The insane thing to do is to be so obsessed with the claims of others you try to provoke the worst of them to attempt violence.
Absolutely. Expressing political opinion. especially in the US, generally involves going out of one's way to provoke, demean, and criticize anyone who holds differing opinions.

Other than that, why is it that, on this forum, any provocation is fair (and good) when aimed at Christianity but evil when aimed at Islam? Both should be made fun of.

The Christian fundamentalists are going about it all wrong. Instead of going to court to legally impose a biblical definition of marriage on everyone else, they ought to start killing people and blowing shit up. Then the lefties will be sympathetic to them, chastising anyone who promotes gay marriage as being irresponsibly provocative and Christophobic; anyone harmed by "Radical Christianity" brought it upon themselves for failing to respect Christian religious sensibilities.

The Christian fundamentalists are going about it all wrong. Instead of going to court to legally impose a biblical definition of marriage on everyone else, they ought to start killing people and blowing shit up. Then the lefties will be sympathetic to them, chastising anyone who promotes gay marriage as being irresponsibly provocative and Christophobic; anyone harmed by "Radical Christianity" brought it upon themselves for failing to respect Christian religious sensibilities.

Is this hollow provocation, or do you need it explained to you why it makes little sense?

You are the one creating this illusion for yourself, Harry. Our society does not value free speech. You actually can do something about it...don't allow people to drive you into emotional meltdown. Everything that went on in Garland was reactive and only in the most peripheral way were either you or me involved in it...from either side. The gunmen on both sides didn't need to be provoked. It is important to keep yourself from being gripped by the conflict between Christians and Muslims.

Your vision of free speech is where people are free to shout "Fire" for no reason beyond the desire to watch the reaction.

Is this hollow provocation, or do you need it explained to you why it makes little sense?

Huh, in either case a religious group seeks to impose its religious laws on non-adherents. So if Christians express a little more anger at gay marriage they could get the same leftist apologies lavished on the Islamists?

Huh, in either case a religious group seeks to impose its religious laws on non-adherents. So if Christians express a little more anger at gay marriage they could get the same leftist apologies lavished on the Islamists?

By convention, the left-leaning stance is not an endorsement of violence or the values of Islam. Many simply believe freedom of belief is important, and that Muslims who practice their religion peacefully should not be demonized along with extremists. I doubt you will find many 'leftist apologies' for attacking and killing people for drawing Muhammed, though some (on the left or right) may see drawing Mo as more a matter of poking the bear than exercising free speech. 'Lefties' also tend to be critical of Islam as a religion, so even those who defend Muslims as human beings often don't accept facets of Islam which are homophobic, misogynistic, religiously intolerant, or other wise antagonistic toward others on the basis of bigotry.

We are talking about millions and millions of people when saying 'lefties' so one has to generalize. Despite exceptions which may exist, I believe what I have written is generally true. Evenas a joke, your comment doesn't seem to make much sense.

Back
Top Bottom