• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

It's amazing how the world has changed

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I found myself searching for a missing box of trackers. (Turns out it had been moved, then fallen down behind things.)

It got me to thinking that it wouldn't have been too long ago that the idea of someone having a box of trackers would have been ludicrous.

I found myself searching for a missing box of trackers. (Turns out it had been moved, then fallen down behind things.)

It got me to thinking that it wouldn't have been too long ago that the idea of someone having a box of trackers would have been ludicrous.
Losing a box of trackers is ludicrous today. ;)

Losing a box of trackers is ludicrous today. ;)
The ones in the box aren't active, they can't be tracked.

Have you seen what they've stuffed into an iWatch or whatever Apple calls it or the ability to watch almost any program that has existed on demand, and you are talking about trackers?

Technology aside, it is incredible how the Internet took nice places are fucked them all up. Waterfalls used to be nature sites to hike to, photograph, now they are swimming holes when Rangers are watching. We had a small waterfall, which is quaint. The local area expanded the parking lot, and now the parking lot is closed and you have to walk 2.5 miles to get to it in order to lessen the traffic because people were tromping around out there. And this isn't a one-fer, I've seen this at waterfalls in MN, WI, OH. 2000-2010, they were waterfalls. 2010-2020 they became waterparks.

Bruce Peninsula in Ontario needed to develop parking systems and plans in order to manage tourism. 25 years ago, tourists weren't loved, but it wasn't overrun like it had become. "The Grotto" isn't even worth visiting anymore, it is so packed. The funny part is that some of the best hiking up there is still barely hiked. We went to Lion's Head and it was very busy. I went to another part, which has many more views and includes beach sections, I saw one couple with their dog hiking, the entire hike.

How much has the world changed? In 2003, I'd see a great place and want to share it online. In 2023, I see a great place and I keep it to myself!

The world has indeed changed.

I need to keep a spreadsheet of passwords in order to be able to watch television.

Last year I lost a power cord, and as a result I couldn't read any books for two weeks.

Have you seen what they've stuffed into an iWatch or whatever Apple calls it or the ability to watch almost any program that has existed on demand, and you are talking about trackers?
Tile trackers, the equivalent of Airtags for those of us not in the Apple ecosystem. No monthly fee like a iWatch, and a battery life of around a year.

I read "box of crackers".

Technology does seem to have picked up the pace in the last thirty years. Before that it seemed to be a long slog of moving from tubes to solid state. Most of it turns out to be useless crap but I keep checking from time to time less I miss something worth a damn.
Airtags look pretty cool. I don't lose things but one on my bike might not be a bad idea.

I keep going back and looking at iWatches. I need to find out if my garage code can be attached to the emergency services. If I've passed out, it'd be nice if they didn't have to break in to get to me. Or if my garage door app could be linked and it automatically opened if my location is inside the house when I go tits up. I work down the basement in my shop a lot with mean saws and other tools that do not suffer inattention.
The medical monitoring on iWatches looks pretty good too. I wouldn't mind the monitoring while riding. Currently I detect a drop in blood pressure by getting woozy at a particular traffic light on my return leg.
If Apple seen their way clear to putting a detailed narrative on their website of all it can do instead of the snippets of information and childish graphics, I'd likely own one already.

Back
Top Bottom