• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

It's pigleg Monday

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
pigleg M0nday.png
This is the recipe. Take a pig shoulder(the piece that makes a picnic ham) and crisscross cut the fat cap. Apply a dry rub and let it sit in a covered container over night in the fridge, The rub this time, was a blend of fajita seasoning, Tony Chachere's , and powered sweet ham glaze.

Start a fire in the fire chamber. I use a half a chimney of charcoal and after that real wood. Today's wood is live oak, because you burn the wood you have. It's been raining all morning, so it's all wet, which made for a slow start. Put the pigleg on the grill, big end toward the fire, and leave it alone. Don't move it, don't poke it, don't look at it.

Check the fire every thirty minutes and try to keep the cook temp between 200 and 250. Rain on the smoker will definitely affect the thermometer, but not cook time. At 3 hours, check internal temperature of the big end. When it reaches 155F, wrap in foil and move to the far end of the cook chamber. Maintain the temp for another hour and then let the fire die down. When the thermometer drops below 150F, it's time to take it off. The last stage is a rest at final temperature. This produces a very tender and juicy pigleg. The squares of fat can be pried off and eaten like meat candy. Bon Appetit

All I can say is . . . . mmm, meat candy, followed by: I wish I knew how to use my grill, lol, cant start a fire with the slow coal my grocery sells even if it meant roast pig.

SFB1.jpg
This is the model smoker I use. This model can be used as a direct grill or smoker. I use charcoal briquettes to start the fire, with a chimney starter. I start each cook by wiping the grates down with oil soaked paper towels. The towels then go under the chimney, for a fast hot start. Briquettes are made with coal dust, and that's not the flavor I want. For smoking, the fire is in the fire box only. I use whatever hardwood is available. Right now, storm damage has insured me a good supply of live oak. Live oak is very mild. I prefer pecan or hickory, when I can get it.

View attachment 16186
This is the recipe. Take a pig shoulder(the piece that makes a picnic ham) and crisscross cut the fat cap. Apply a dry rub and let it sit in a covered container over night in the fridge, The rub this time, was a blend of fajita seasoning, Tony Chachere's , and powered sweet ham glaze.

Start a fire in the fire chamber. I use a half a chimney of charcoal and after that real wood. Today's wood is live oak, because you burn the wood you have. It's been raining all morning, so it's all wet, which made for a slow start. Put the pigleg on the grill, big end toward the fire, and leave it alone. Don't move it, don't poke it, don't look at it.

Check the fire every thirty minutes and try to keep the cook temp between 200 and 250. Rain on the smoker will definitely affect the thermometer, but not cook time. At 3 hours, check internal temperature of the big end. When it reaches 155F, wrap in foil and move to the far end of the cook chamber. Maintain the temp for another hour and then let the fire die down. When the thermometer drops below 150F, it's time to take it off. The last stage is a rest at final temperature. This produces a very tender and juicy pigleg. The squares of fat can be pried off and eaten like meat candy. Bon Appetit

Now I'm hungry...:)

All about ham https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-food-lab-how-to-pick-and-cook-a-holiday-h.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-ultra-crisp-skinned-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder.html

Whoot! I think this is simple enough to get hold enough, both money wise and with my limited experience in grilling.

Question? Did you fill it to the top for your leg leg roast?

Also, second question, I have converted gas to charcoal grill, because it originally had a line and tank but the line busted so I took all that apart and have been using charcoal in the empty pit with the grate over it. Is that going to work this way too?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also, do the lighter cubes leave any residue or taste weirdness to the food?

A full chimney of charcoal provides about one hour of useful cooking heat.
Thats usually more than enough for my purposes, though i have occassionally had to cook for an extended period.

Ive never used lighter cubes, just one sheet of crumpled newspaper.

A full chimney of charcoal provides about one hour of useful cooking heat.
Thats usually more than enough for my purposes, though i have occassionally had to cook for an extended period.

Ive never used lighter cubes, just one sheet of crumpled newspaper.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom