• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jacobin on The Handmaid's Tale vs market forces on women and childbearing

I am not sure what gender identity has to do with the wealth concentration.

I am not sure what gender identity has to do with the wealth concentration.

It has to do with distracting people with less important (but still important to a degree) issues instead of what could cause the wealthy to be challenged.

Unfotunately, we have limited time and attention and stuff like that is easier to talk about than public private partnerships.

Did anyone read the article?

I thought it had some interesting points

Yes, I thought her piece was very insightful.
Misguided bleeding hearts telling themselves their slactivism is helping to fight the good fight...just like the good old days.
Except that it's the wrong fight at the wrong time and Handmaids Tale is an own goal in any case.

???

This is partly an attack on neoliberalism

Actually is was attacking Trump for being a Christian. Par for the course.

No. Although not its main point, it is critical of Trump and his supporters for the fact they are seeking to strip women of their basic rights. The fact that they use Christianity as an excuse for such immoral attacks on human liberty is incidental, and pointing out this fact is not any form of bigotry, just like criticizing pedophiles for being pedophiles is not bigotry.

Did anyone read the article?

I thought it had some interesting points

Yes, I thought her piece was very insightful.
Misguided bleeding hearts telling themselves their slactivism is helping to fight the good fight...just like the good old days.
Except that it's the wrong fight at the wrong time and Handmaids Tale is an own goal in any case.

I don't think I read the same article as you did. :shrug:

Come on...tell me that's not what she was on about.
If I had written something like that it would be concern trolling 101
Shes calling out the lazy leftist feminists (male & female and everything in between) for resting on their laurels and thinking the stakes are no different today than what they were in 1987.

"...The real-world dystopia for the majority of women in the age of Trump is not that they are being forced to have children by a repressive traditonalist state but that they’re being compelled not to by far more insidious forces"

Yep.

'Wimmins liberation' liberated more men than women.

It subjugated women to the tyranny of equality where nobody cares if you lean in or lean out.

No fault (guilt-free) divorce? YAY! What a boon for men. You think Trump doesn't love that?
Abortion on demand? A woman's choice? You must be joking. MEN wrote the book on 'unwanted' pregnancies!

So the free market where everyone is 'equal' doesn't cut any slack the woman who wants to have a career and a baby.
...just shut up and get on with it woman! Society is waiting.

When is nationalist ;) Bannon gonna convince Trump to put the kibosh on this deal (if it really is in the works)?

- - - Updated - - -

The irony is that South Park's libertarianism is a prodigy of neoliberalism. I don't think that PC, identity politics, anti-Vaxx, and the the other soft spots of modern liberalism are the products of neoliberalism. Rather they are gifts to neoliberalism that certainly the neoliberals encourage liberals to pursue.

To keep the heat off of the wealth transfer they are undertaking? I would imagine that a neoliberal billionaire is very happy that people are discussing the 70 genders on Tumblr and Facebook instead of the privatization of the commons. I would not be surprised if a sociopath like John Paulson (real estate guy) would indirectly fund loonies like that to get news cycles on such goofy topics instead of the shit he pulls.

ETA: let me say transgender people are real and a part of the human condition that should not be given the treatment that assholes like Pence would give them - but there is something off (maybe teenage insecurity/narcissism?) about the Tumblrization of the topic and proliferation of so many gender categories.

Getting more dark, while the rich are exploiting the poor now - we are all exploiting future generations by running up our population and running down our resources. All while cocooning ourselves with creature comforts and mass media in a Huxleyian utopia/dystopia. Easter Island gone global.

Liberals have fought the PC, identity, etc. battles while conservatives have fought the Christian, crime running rampant, anti-abortion, etc. battles while neither understanding that they are both losing the class war being waged by the wealthy. The wealthy are trying to take complete control of the government so that they can complete the looting of the economy, past the point that they have accomplished so far, which is that all of the new income produced by the economy, the income from innovation and new investments, goes to the wealthy, while everyone else just keeps up with inflation.

The wealthy now want not only to not have to pay taxes for government services but to force everyone else to pay them to deliver government services. There is nothing left now in what the government does that private, for profit enterprises can do more efficiently than the government can do.

The added knock on conservatives is that not only do they not see the nature of the war being waged against them, they are actually actively aiding the wealthy to loot themselves. They are in effect saying take my money but leave me with my bigotries.

Back
Top Bottom