• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

JMU Punishes Sexual Assault With Expulsion -- After Graduation

RavenSky

The Doctor's Wife
Basic Beliefs
atheist
James Madison University punished three fraternity members for sexually assaulting a female student and sharing their video of the attack by banning them from campus -- after they graduate.

The school found the men responsible for sexual assault and harassment in the spring break 2013 attack on Sarah Butters, and determined that they shared the video widely with others on the JMU campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The unusual "expulsion after graduation" sanction allowed two of the men to graduate on time in May. The third plans to remain on campus for his senior year in 2014-15.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/18/james-madison-university-sexual-assault_n_5509163.html

So there is absolutely no question that these three assaulted this woman because they video'd it and shared the video... but received effectively no punishment.

For every case of a student being expelled for sexual assault, there are dozens more like this wherein effectively no punishment is given.

So there is absolutely no question that these three assaulted this woman because they video'd it and shared the video...
Since there were apparently no criminal charges filed I doubt the video shows anything more than that it was a sexual act, not that it was non-consensual. They probably just took her word for it that it was assault. As in, "a female says it, we believe it, that settles it".
but received effectively no punishment.
This is still on their records and thus it will make it virtually impossible for them to be admitted into any grad school.

For every case of a student being expelled for sexual assault, there are dozens more like this wherein effectively no punishment is given.
I am not convinced this is a real case of sexual assault. Have you seen the video?

Since there were apparently no criminal charges filed I doubt the video shows anything more than that it was a sexual act, not that it was non-consensual. They probably just took her word for it that it was assault. As in, "a female says it, we believe it, that settles it".
but received effectively no punishment.
This is still on their records and thus it will make it virtually impossible for them to be admitted into any grad school.

I am not convinced this is a real case of sexual assault. Have you seen the video?

So a situation in which three men grope a topless woman while she is trying to pull on a top and saying things like "This isn't okay, this isn't a good idea." is not sexual assault to you?

So a situation in which three men grope a topless woman while she is trying to pull on a top and saying things like "This isn't okay, this isn't a good idea." is not sexual assault to you?

I am saying that if the video shows a clear-cut case of sexual assault why aren't there any criminal charges filed?
It is unclear where the author got this synopsis anyway - has he seen the video (doubtful) or did the accuser tell him what is allegedly in it.

Once again, not even video evidence convinces Derec that a woman has been assaulted.

And seriously, you are bitching because the three guys were NOT arrested? Perhaps you think they should spend years in prison for pulling her top off at the beach?

The three men violated SCHOOL policy.

Once again, not even video evidence convinces Derec that a woman has been assaulted.
I haven't seen any video evidence. Have you? All we have is an unsourced synopsis by a writer for HuffPo.
If there was strong video evidence of sexual assault why aren't there criminal charges filed?

And seriously, you are bitching because the three guys were NOT arrested? Perhaps you think they should spend years in prison for pulling her top off at the beach?
So now you are saying they haven't committed any crime such as sexual assault? Which is it?

The three men violated SCHOOL policy.
Either they committed sexual assault or they haven't. If they have not committed sexual assault why have they been expelled?
If what they did is not a big deal and doesn't amount to a criminal act, why is it such a big deal they must be expelled immediately?

I am saying that if the video shows a clear-cut case of sexual assault why aren't there any criminal charges filed?
It is unclear where the author got this synopsis anyway - has he seen the video (doubtful) or did the accuser tell him what is allegedly in it.

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Former-JMU-Student-Speaks-Out-on-Sexual-Assault-263548111.html

http://education-law.lawyers.com/school-law/college-discipline-extends-off-campus.html

Also try reading the original link in the OP if you are interested in the synopsis.

Since you have no idea what happened, there is no rationale basis for your assumptions.
You can have no ideas whether a) that is true or b) whether it is relevant to their life plans.

It was sufficiently real enough of a case to prompt JMU to act which is the only relevant issue here.

It was sufficiently real enough of a case to prompt JMU to act which is the only relevant issue here.

And we know from similar cases at Vassar, UND, Occidental, UGA and others that that doesn't mean very much. As I said "a female says it, college administrators believe it, that settles it". :banghead:

Also try reading the original link in the OP if you are interested in the synopsis.
I'm not interested in the unsourced synopsis, I am interested in the video.

I am sure you are interested in the video. But that's not what you said here:

Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Narapoia View Post

From the link in the OP, we know that the college administrators were given a copy of the video.

I am sure you are interested in the video. But that's not what you said here:
What I said there is unrelated to wanting to see the video for myself.
From the link in the OP, we know that the college administrators were given a copy of the video.
Yes, but presumably not the author. Which means the author got the synopsis from somebody else (maybe the accuser) and is thus hearsay.
As far as college administrators, given previous cases, I have zero confidence in their willingness to adjudicate sexual assault cases with any degree of impartiality and fairness.

What I said there is unrelated to wanting to see the video for myself.
Yes, but presumably not the author. Which means the author got the synopsis from somebody else (maybe the accuser) and is thus hearsay.
As far as college administrators, given previous cases, I have zero confidence in their willingness to adjudicate sexual assault cases with any degree of impartiality and fairness.

Journalists frequently interview witnesses and victims about crimes committed, without having personally witnessed the crime themselves. If the journalist witnessed the criminal act herself, she would be a witness. JMU is under federal investigation (as are a total of 62 institutions of higher learning) regarding the way it handles sexual assault cases.

And we know from similar cases at Vassar, UND, Occidental, UGA and others that that doesn't mean very much. As I said "a female says it, college administrators believe it, that settles it". :banghead:
That is extremely poor reasoning. You don't know what prompted JMU to act. Of course you can make any assumption you wish, but your assumptions reflect your mindset, not reality.

I think what is more relevant here is are these 3 people receiving the same discipline for the same acts as others have at JMU.

Last edited:
Journalists frequently interview witnesses and victims about crimes committed, without having personally witnessed the crime themselves. If the journalist witnessed the criminal act herself, she would be a witness.
So is it a crime or not? You and RavenSky seem to disagree.

JMU is under federal investigation (as are a total of 62 institutions of higher learning) regarding the way it handles sexual assault cases.
JMU should be more like Vassar, UND, UGA and Occidental and expel more innocent male students. I bet these universities are not under any federal investigation because who cares about due process for accused male students. Surely not the Obama administration!

That is extremely poor reasoning. You don't know what prompted JMU to act.
No, yours is extremely poor reasoning. You assume that because the university acted against the male students they had a good reason to do so.

Of course you can make any assumption you wish, but your assumptions reflect your mindset, not reality.
The reality is that universities have been showing extreme willingness to punish male students accused of sexual assault in absence of sufficient evidence and frequently even with presence of exculpatory evidence. As such they have zero credibility.

I think what is more relevant here is are these 3 people receiving the same discipline for the same acts as others have at JMU.
Evidence for that? Have there been other cases of alleged bikini top pulling? Are there videos of that? YouTube?

Whether it is a crime is irrelevant. JMU disciplined the 3 people for violating school policy.
It seems the only relevant thing is that male students get punished, by hook or by crook, or by defining "sexual assault" much more broadly than the law does to cover pretty much anything.

No, yours is extremely poor reasoning. You assume that because the university acted against the male students they had a good reason to do so.
No, I am making no assumptions about JMU's decision-making. I don't know if JMU acted harshly or lenienently or appropriately. All I know is that they felt they had to act and did so. I suppose I am assuming that they are not arbitrary and capricious in the decision-making, but I hardly think that is an unreasonable assumption.

The reality is that universities have been showing extreme willingness to punish male students accused of sexual assault in absence of sufficient evidence and frequently even with presence of exculpatory evidence. As such they have zero credibility.
There is no logical basis to generalize from a few cherry-picked examples from some universities to all universities. You might have a basis if you had some other evidence about JMU. In the absence of such evidence, your claims reflect your biases not reality.

Evidence for that? Have there been other cases of alleged bikini top pulling? Are there videos of that? YouTube?
I have no idea. Given your obvious expertise in this area, I thought you might have some actual evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Whether it is a crime is irrelevant. JMU disciplined the 3 people for violating school policy.
It seems the only relevant thing is that male students get punished, by hook or by crook, or by defining "sexual assault" much more broadly than the law does to cover pretty much anything.
You seem to be under the delusion that school policy must conform to the local or federal criminal code. And you also seem to ignore that students agree to abide by school policy.

Back
Top Bottom