• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Joe Rogan - Intellectual Heavyweight

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Joe Rogan said:
There’s such a spectrum of shades of people. Unless you’re talking to someone who is, like, 100 percent African, from the darkest place, where they are not wearing any clothes all day and they’ve developed all that melanin to protect themselves from the sun, you know, even the term Black is weird. When you use it for people who are literally my color, it becomes very strange.
link

Yes, this is the person America needs to be listening to about Pandemics, vaccines, and sociology.

Meanwhile on the next episode, Rogan and his listeners pontificate on why you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

And stayed tuned for Science Friday where Rogan and his listeners ask themselves where does the water go during low tide.

To me, Joe Rogan is like Jesus or Rick and Morty.

I don't mind any of them but fuck me their fans are utterly insufferable. Fuck 'em all.

I like the way he makes the establishment and old hippies lose their shit.
You're right. All that matters in the world is that people who you don't like should be as miserable as possible.

If the establishment and the old hippies were horrified by your nailing your own testicles to a wall with rusty six-inch nails, I suspect that you would do it in a heartbeat. And be gleeful about how upset it was making everyone.

In fact, you should probably try it. I bet it would really "own the libs".

I am wondering whether it's possible to come up with a more morally bankrupt claim than "I like it because it makes other people unhappy". And how the fuck we got to the point where people could smugly make that claim in public, without getting their teeth punched in.

Yes, this is the person America needs to be listening to about Pandemics, vaccines, and sociology.
He may be wrong about vaccines etc., but he is right that the "one drop rule" is bonkers. And no matter how the rule was invented, nowadays it is used by black race activists.

I like the way he makes the establishment and old hippies lose their shit.
You're right. All that matters in the world is that people who you don't like should be as miserable as possible.

If the establishment and the old hippies were horrified by your nailing your own testicles to a wall with rusty six-inch nails, I suspect that you would do it in a heartbeat. And be gleeful about how upset it was making everyone.

In fact, you should probably try it. I bet it would really "own the libs".

I am wondering whether it's possible to come up with a more morally bankrupt claim than "I like it because it makes other people unhappy". And how the fuck we got to the point where people could smugly make that claim in public, without getting their teeth punched in.

I'm quoting this because bilby really "hits the nail on the head"* in describing the thinking of present-day American "conservatives."

And how the fuck we got to the point where people could smugly make that claim in public, without getting their teeth punched in.
well that one is easy: because in america, the culture hates nothing more than it hates someone who stands up to a bully.
it's OK to be a bully, and it's not approved of to complain about being bullied but it's acceptable, but to stand up to a bully or push back against them is seen as the most grievous violation of social law.

as relates to joe rogan... i find it fascinating the extent to which he is one most taken-out-of-context people in the "famous people" media complex.
with him being in the news a lot the sheer number of articles blasting him for things that are quote mined snippets totally devoid of the context of either his show in general or him specifically is hilarious - there is a very obvious compulsive *need* by certain sectors of the news media to demonize this guy and i don't really get why, other than he's a fairly dopey white guy who enjoys having dialogues with people and who doesn't push an agenda or make his show an antagonistic atmosphere, which i guess some people just really hate.

anyways, the thing i've seen multiple times today is the claim that spotify lost 2 billion dollars because neil young pulled his music, which is an outright lie and the irony of that claim coming from places that are saying it was because of misinformation being spread by someone else... man, the US media is fucking useless.

as relates to joe rogan... i find it fascinating the extent to which he is one most taken-out-of-context people in the "famous people" media complex.
with him being in the news a lot the sheer number of articles blasting him for things that are quote mined snippets totally devoid of the context of either his show in general or him specifically is hilarious
Such as? And to make it clear, the OP Isn't saying Rogan is racist... it is saying Rogan is an idiot.

I don't care about the guy, though am confused how he became Joe Rogan the famous. There is plenty of noise out there and he provides noise, but his stuff on Covid-19 was reckless and he wouldn't back down, despite the audience size he has.

Such as? And to make it clear, the OP Isn't saying Rogan is racist... it is saying Rogan is an idiot.
well just as an example the quote above... it strikes me as a bit ironic that notably within circles that claim to care about racial issues and object to racism or racial discrimination, someone confronting the most basic tenets of our social and cultural norms regarding what does or doesn't constitute race in the first place is seen as an idiot who is dangerously corrupted the minds of the children.
i thought that promoting the idea of color-blindness was supposed to be a good thing?

he literally says that what we call "blacks" in america aren't that different from what we call "whites" in terms of the color scale, and in the example given in the quote points out you'd need to go find one of those desert-dwelling super dark africans to get a color even getting close to approximating the color "black".

so yeah technically he's just playing around with language and the biases and preconceptions that come along with it, but fuck george carlin was doing that 40 years ago about "getting on airplanes" and everyone claimed he was some kind of intellectual titan and a genius, and his commentary and things he pointed out were often even more stupid than what joe rogan says.
i guess the difference is that george carlin would then say "fuck republicans" and angrily deride conservative principles, so that automatically makes him OK... whereas rogan doesn't attack his guests, which makes him a piece of shit and a threat to america.

I don't care about the guy, though am confused how he became Joe Rogan the famous. There is plenty of noise out there and he provides noise, but his stuff on Covid-19 was reckless and he wouldn't back down, despite the audience size he has.
it reminds me a lot of the jon stewart era of the daily show... i don't know if you remember this but there was a lot of hubub in certain circles (including on these very forums) slamming stewart for being polite and non-confrontational even when he had on republicans.

the irony of course being stewart spent his entire time as TDS host trying to call for civility, and speaking against attacking people even when they're vile... and the pudding gang watching his show just got pissed he didn't call donald rumsfeld a "sack of shit" to his face when he was on the show.

so to answer your question, i think he got joe rogan famous because he DOESN'T provide noise, he just has people on and he talks to them and gets their opinions on things.
sometimes those people are macaulay culkin and they talk about being a child actor and how to survive it without turning into a druggie burnout.
sometimes those people are jordan peterson and the conversation is about racial and gender roles in society.
sometimes it's alex jones, sometimes it's a doctor to talk about COVID, sometimes it's stand up comedian pete holmes and they talk about dripping how your balls off on LSD shows you a portal to a different reality, and how they think that other reality exists because it made sense to them that it exists when they were dripping their balls off.

the point is, joe rogan has a show where he chats with folks. he isn't a dick to *any* of them and he engages with their opinions whatever they are.
if you want to slag him for being credulous, sure go for that.
and if you want to slag him for not pushing back on his guests, well then firstly you don't understand the entire premise of the show, and secondly that leads to a looooooooong other conversation about the role of media or popular figures and whether they have a moral obligation to publicly decry things that you don't like .

well just as an example the quote above... it strikes me as a bit ironic that notably within circles that claim to care about racial issues and object to racism or racial discrimination, someone confronting the most basic tenets of our social and cultural norms regarding what does or doesn't constitute race in the first place is seen as an idiot who is dangerously corrupted the minds of the children.
i thought that promoting the idea of color-blindness was supposed to be a good thing?
Trevor Noah managed to best cover that angle, as it missed the point completely.
he literally says that what we call "blacks" in america aren't that different from what we call "whites" in terms of the color scale, and in the example given in the quote points out you'd need to go find one of those desert-dwelling super dark africans to get a color even getting close to approximating the color "black".
Like I said, noise.
so yeah technically he's just playing around with language and the biases and preconceptions that come along with it, but fuck george carlin was doing that 40 years ago about "getting on airplanes" and everyone claimed he was some kind of intellectual titan and a genius, and his commentary and things he pointed out were often even more stupid than what joe rogan says.
i guess the difference is that george carlin would then say "fuck republicans" and angrily deride conservative principles, so that automatically makes him OK... whereas rogan doesn't attack his guests, which makes him a piece of shit and a threat to america.
Carlin was a linguistic genius, and probably more of a libertarian with empathy.
so to answer your question, i think he got joe rogan famous because he DOESN'T provide noise, he just has people on and he talks to them and gets their opinions on things.
sometimes those people are macaulay culkin and they talk about being a child actor and how to survive it without turning into a druggie burnout.
sometimes those people are jordan peterson and the conversation is about racial and gender roles in society.
sometimes it's alex jones, sometimes it's a doctor to talk about COVID, sometimes it's stand up comedian pete holmes and they talk about dripping how your balls off on LSD shows you a portal to a different reality, and how they think that other reality exists because it made sense to them that it exists when they were dripping their balls off.
Yeah, that is what I mean by noise.
the point is, joe rogan has a show where he chats with folks. he isn't a dick to *any* of them and he engages with their opinions whatever they are.
He doesn't argue doesn't justify feeding into the anti-science narrative around Covid-19. Don't want controversy regarding anti-vax bullshit, don't wade in the waters!

Trevor Noah managed to best cover that angle, as it missed the point completely.
disagree. in fact i'd say trevor noah missed the point completely.
trevor noah responded to the sociological concept of being 'black' as an identity in america, but that isn't what joe rogan said so it's a straw man.

Carlin was a linguistic genius, and probably more of a libertarian with empathy.
ssssooooo... carlin was a linguistic genius for saying "why do they say get ON the plane? fuck you, i'm getting IN the plane!" but joe rogan is an idiot for saying that skin tones in america really aren't that different and it's stupid how much emphasis we put on it culturally.

so then what, this just comes back to you hating joe rogan for not attacking his guests?

ah, so 'noise' by your use here is 'literally anything' - ok, that clears some things up.

He doesn't argue doesn't justify feeding into the anti-science narrative around Covid-19. Don't want controversy regarding anti-vax bullshit, don't wade in the waters!
will you just come right out and say that you hate him for not insulting his guests and that you think journalistic neutrality is some kind of moral sin and get it over with so i know what the fuck you're actually talking about, instead of this constant pussy-footing where you type things but don't actually say anything?

disagree. in fact i'd say trevor noah missed the point completely.
trevor noah responded to the sociological concept of being 'black' as an identity in america, but that isn't what joe rogan said so it's a straw man.

ssssooooo... carlin was a linguistic genius for saying "why do they say get ON the plane? fuck you, i'm getting IN the plane!" but joe rogan is an idiot for saying that skin tones in america really aren't that different and it's stupid how much emphasis we put on it culturally.
Yeah, that's about it. Now, if Rogan was talking about inter-African Americans squabbling about being "black enough", then he'd probably have some sort of viable point. However, blacks aren't hated in America because of their skin color. The skin color just makes them easier to identify. Blacks are hated in America because of social inertia and lies dating back to the 17th century and culminating in a war in the 19th Century that The South just won't drop... and then the use of said animosity by Nixon in the mid to later 20th Century post Civil Rights Act. Not calling them black isn't changing any of that.
so then what, this just comes back to you hating joe rogan for not attacking his guests?

ah, so 'noise' by your use here is 'literally anything' - ok, that clears some things up.

will you just come right out and say that you hate him for not insulting his guests and that you think journalistic neutrality is some kind of moral sin and get it over with so i know what the fuck you're actually talking about, instead of this constant pussy-footing where you type things but don't actually say anything?
He gave people a podium to spread lies about a pandemic and vaccine. He doesn't deserve any sort of applause for that.

FKY7eYlXEAULbwv

Is there any chance, any chance at all explaining to these stupid cunts that the problem with Joe Rogan isn't his politics, attitude or format but that he provides extremists a huge platform where they can express their views with little or no push back? CNN revised their policy and told Rick Santorum to fuck off, so I guess the difference between Joe Rogan and MSM is at least MSM can take a fucking hint.

Is there any chance, any chance at all explaining to these stupid cunts that the problem with Joe Rogan isn't his politics, attitude or format but that he provides extremists a huge platform where they can express their views with little or no push back? CNN revised their policy and told Rick Santorum to fuck off, so I guess the difference between Joe Rogan and MSM is at least MSM can take a fucking hint.

So if you question the orthodoxy of the day you’re an extremist? With Covid, the message has gone through varied permutations. At the start, no need to wear a mask, okay to go to Chinatown. Then, wear a mask and don’t congregate unless you’re politically favored by the establishment. Vaccines? They work 100% and stop transmission. Well, okay, that wasn’t correct. What was “misinformation” months or a year ago is now the “science.” What Rogan does is have long form interviews with people of various viewpoints. The MSM in the US does not do that. Instead, our media pushes a narrative and seeks to punish any heretics. It used to be common in the US to have diversity of discussion; people directed their disfavor at the person expressing the unpopular view not the platform. (See, Donahue). Now those who claim to trust the science act like religious zealots angered at anyone who deviates from divine scripture.

Of course, the bile spewed against Rogan may simply be jealousy over his high ratings. He’s far more influential than any media talking heads, i.e., ego maniacs.

while you make an interesting point here, is there no nuance in the fact that CNN is ostensibly a news program, and joe rogan is a comedian doing a podcast where the stated intention is just a chat between a host and guests?
i'm certainly on board with requiring (either explicitly via law or implicitly via consumer pressure) for news outlets to be held to a high standard of both fact checking in terms of verifiable accounts and records and also being responsible for presenting valid information through their on-air personalities, but the logical end point of what you're suggesting is that anything which is available to the public should be scrutinized for both accuracy and general integrity, which would effectively end anything which contains 'opinion' or anything religious.

i'm not taking a stance on that suggestion btw, at least not in this post - i'm just establishing the parameters of the argument here and how they extend outside of the context of one podcast.

Back
Top Bottom