• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jungle trekking

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
I have been to Indonesia before, but this January I will be visiting Samatra for the first time and living in the deep jungle for a week. Has anybody here done such an adventure? I hope to be seeing a lot of orangutans, some elephants, and will be sleeping in a little tent where there could be tigers (though they are incredibly rare - endangered). But the biggest threat is malaria and other insect borne disease. I will be getting a whole series of shots before going.

Use an 80% DEET insect repellent. Use it a lot. On any exposed skin, and anywhere only covered by one layer of clothing.

Caution - this stuff will disolve most plastics, so beware of your raincoat and/or watchstrap.

But it's the shit against mozzies, and it's also good for keeping the leeches away - rub it on your feet ankles and legs before putting your socks and boots on if it has been raining recently. (In the wet tropics, it has always been raining recently).

I haven't been to Sumatra. It sounds like a great adventure - hope you see Orang Utans. Say 'Oook' from me.

The 80% DEET is a good idea. The sun tan lotion is also going to be applied liberally. I don't understand why these two products are not sold as one combined lotion.

I won't spend much time with humans while there, but will be spending a couple of nights on the way in and out in Medan. It will be my first time in a Muslim majority area. That could be an adventure in itself. The guy I am going with and I will have to be extremely careful about giving off any indication that we are a romantic couple and not bros.

The 80% DEET is a good idea. The sun tan lotion is also going to be applied liberally. I don't understand why these two products are not sold as one combined lotion.

Bushman.jpeg

Bushman Plus - 80% DEET plus sunscreen. Widely available in Australia - BCF stock it, as do Chemist Warehouse. Developed and manufactured by North Queensland Laboratories in Cairns, QLD.

You should be able to find it for sale online, for delivery anywhere in the world.

For some odd reason, it's not mentioned on the packaging, but the gel (pictured above) has an SPF of 30+, so it's a more a sunblock, rather than a sunscreen.

Malaria is pills, generally extending both before and after your trip.

Wisconsin Pharmacal used to make a product called "Sun & Bug". The FDA shut it down after J&J objected on the basis of their surmise that the components could interact with each other and body chemistry with unknown results. That's what you get when Federal agencies are in the pocket of their their biggest "clients".

Reading more about DEET, I've learned (or confirmed; somebody mentioned this above) that the percentage in it only affects how long it lasts and not how much protection it gives. I've also read that its illegal in Canada in percentages over a certain amount (I think 30%) and that many people claim it gets into your blood stream through your skin and can to serious damage.... so rethinking the DEET.

Reading more about DEET, I've learned (or confirmed; somebody mentioned this above) that the percentage in it only affects how long it lasts and not how much protection it gives. I've also read that its illegal in Canada in percentages over a certain amount (I think 30%) and that many people claim it gets into your blood stream through your skin and can to serious damage.... so rethinking the DEET.

I worked for WPC for a couple of years after they bought our Company in 2000. Read TONS of technical stuff ... in one study, rats showed signs of loss of appetite after consuming (orally) their own body weight in DEET every month for a few months. It actually has very low mammalian toxicity, according to all the reports I read.

A viable alternative is lemon eucalyptus oil and its synthetic variants...

It's a lot less harmful than malaria, dengue fever, ross river encephalitis, or any of the dozens of other mosquito bourne diseases that are out there.

Yup and I'll be using it. I've now read that you should put it on and let it dry before putting on sunscreen or you'll be more likely to poison yourself with the combination.

I've also been learning about leech socks. This is gonna be extreme.

Yup and I'll be using it. I've now read that you should put it on and let it dry before putting on sunscreen or you'll be more likely to poison yourself with the combination.

I've also been learning about leech socks. This is gonna be extreme.

Leeches don't wear socks. They don't even have feet :p

Back
Top Bottom