• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Just bought a couple Playboys from the 60's

rousseau

Contributor
Really great buy.

For one, I was shocked at how intelligent of a magazine it was. Two, the ads were gold. I can definitely understand the appeal of such a magazine at that time.

Everything I ever needed to know, I learned from Playboy.

I always meant to read the articles in Playboy, but the pages were all stuck together.

Because of Playboy, I know how to buy a suit that fits, order a meal in a fine restaurant, what wine to order, ask a woman for a date, and many more things which have been very valuable to me through the years.

I think it still contains some good articles, though I have not bought any for a few years. Are the women any different?

One part that really surprised me when I was reading last night was in the 'forum' section (reader letters), the magazine not only used Christian history to refute a Christian calling the mag sinful, but they also took a pro-homosexuality stance.. This in the sixties! Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise, but I was shocked.

I've never purchased a modern playboy before so couldn't compare the two.

Because of Playboy, I know how to buy a suit that fits, order a meal in a fine restaurant, what wine to order, ask a woman for a date, and many more things which have been very valuable to me through the years.

Yea. In a way it reminded me of an early version of a modern internet forum. Kind of like a men's club with centralized information.

One part that really surprised me when I was reading last night was in the 'forum' section (reader letters), the magazine not only used Christian history to refute a Christian calling the mag sinful, but they also took a pro-homosexuality stance.. This in the sixties! Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise, but I was shocked.
I subscribe to Playboy in a large part to support their editorial stance. They've always been against sexual repression, of any flavor, but as you say, they've approached it intelligently, and respectfully.

In a response to a woman who used pretty random anecdotes to prove that Playboy caused rape, they pointed out that by her standards of evidence, they could use her years of work on the Captain Kangaroo show to 'prove' that she's a pedophile. They clearly stated that they were not making any such accusation, just pointing out the weakness of her evidence. Other mags might have merely dismissed her as a crazy bitch.

Please link to those articles!

Very good.
I hope you also learned to tie a proper windsor. Slob-knots (four-in-hand) annoy the heck out of me.

Very good.
I hope you also learned to tie a proper windsor. Slob-knots (four-in-hand) annoy the heck out of me.

The suit thing is a serious matter. The reason most men don't like to wear a suit is they never had one which properly fit. They look and feel like Jethro Bodine. I have to start with a 52 regular, to fit in the shoulders, and have the back, waist, and sleeves taken in. An off the rack 52R suit will have a 48 inch waist, which makes it look like a clown suit.

Playboy was a Godsend to all us middle class boys whose mothers bought our school clothes at Sears. What the hell did we know about inseams and collars? Our pants came in two sizes, baggy and tight.

The Feb '63 issue (I think) had the Sinatra interview -- he was anxious to talk about religion and his position was that he didn't believe in any personal god. That was pretty ballsy, considering that Madalyn Murray was at that point the most hated person in America.

Back
Top Bottom