• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Just seems wrong to me

I've always had reservation about leaving anything of substantial value to my child. It's not much but it's more than a twenty-two year old can probably handle. I fear I may be doing her a disservice were I to kick the bucket tomorrow. I know money dropped in one's lap is treated different than money earned.
I think it would be best to leave it to charity but I can't bring myself to do it. I wonder what my daughter would think. Should it matter?

There is no way for you to do that without really hurting your daughters feelings. If you try and explain your reasoning or not she will ultimately believe that you thought poorly of her.

Among the unwealthy working class, there is not much of an argument as to the assignment of the deceased's property. Among the ultra rich wealth accumulators this business of inheritance assumes an importance it should never have. When it comes to things like home ownership, the banks are standing in line.

There is such a thing as personal posessions. These are the things a person especially cherishes and he/she can easily parcel these items out to those one wants to have them. A mature society would not set up a system of ownership of real property that creates desperation and homelessness on the basis of somebody dying (or getting divorced or just plain getting pissed off). Unfortunately we have a system of constant grasping and competition, a system that creates just such a condition, a system of favoritism regardless of who makes the decisions. We don't OWN THE LAND. It owns us. Just look at where you end up when you pass on.

Our probate systems are to my mind, a complete disaster, based as they are on a kind of absolutism....that what we "own" we can do what we please with it. This is an unhealthy and environmentally irresponsible idea, but it does seem to point to the need for social reorganization. I am not going to go into detail just how this would be accomplished or even how it should be because things will just change over time when we figure out how we ought to treat one another.

Back
Top Bottom