• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kansas was supposed to be the GOP’s tax-cut paradise. Now it can barely pay its bills.

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
http://www.vox.com/2014/7/8/5868717/sam-brownback-kansas-tax-cut

In 2012, Kansas governor Sam Brownback signed a massive tax cut into law, arguing that it would boost the state's economy. Eventually, he hoped to eliminate individual income taxes entirely. "Our place, Kansas, will show the path, the difficult path, for America to go in these troubled times," he said.

National conservative activists raved. Patrick Gleason of Americans for Tax Reform said Kansas was "the story of the next decade." The Cato Institute praised Brownback's "impressive" tax cuts and gave him an "A" on fiscal policy. And the Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol said that, if reelected, Brownback would be "a formidable presidential possibility."

Yet though Brownback is running for reelection this fall in a deep red state, he's trailed his Democratic challenger in 3 of the 4 most recent polls — and his marquee tax cut appears to be the main reason. Kansas is now hundreds of millions of dollars short in revenue collection, its job growth has lagged the rest of the nation, and Moody's has cut the state's bond rating. "Governor Brownback came in here with an agenda to reduce the size of government, reduce taxes, and create a great economic boom," says University of Kansas professor Burdett Loomis. "Now there's been a dramatic decline in revenues, no great increase in economic activity, and we've got red ink until the cows come home."

I am shocked that tax cuts didn't spur growth and send KS revenue through the roof. </sarc>

What happened to the supply side argument that tax cuts spur growth and increase tax revenues?

Wow. Imagine how bad things would be there if they hadn't cut the taxes.

Clearly, this is a situation which calls for some more tax cuts to fix.

Funny you should mention that . . .

Yet while Davis opposed Brownback's tax cuts, and has been harshly critical of their effects, he hasn't called for them to be repealed. Instead, he's said that a new round of cuts should be postponed — and called for a commission to explore reducing local property taxes.

@Tom Sawyer, it has to be this way...
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...v-brownback-focuses-on-tax-cuts-as-state.html
Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback plans to double down on massively slashed income tax rates that, in fiscal 2014, brought in $282 million less in personal income tax revenue than expected, leaving the state's finances in turmoil.
Brownback is arguing that Kansans should still vote for him in November because he'll be committed to continuing these tax cuts to attract new businesses/residents to the states and grow the tax base, saying on MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown": "I want to continue to get that income tax down because that's the one that holds back so many states. We started out as a high-tax state. I want to get us down further as a low-tax state to create jobs and opportunities. The government is going to have plenty of money; it's the people I want to have money."

Yet while Davis opposed Brownback's tax cuts, and has been harshly critical of their effects, he hasn't called for them to be repealed. Instead, he's said that a new round of cuts should be postponed — and called for a commission to explore reducing local property taxes.

Well ... FUCK. :mad:

Making stupid and inane statements for the sake of ironic humour is pretty much my main thing here. When politicians come along and say the exact same thing but do it seriously, it seriously undercuts my entire schtick.

Fuck those guys. :mad:

And of course the flip side: Minnesota raised taxes on the wealthy to help pay its bills, expand services, and stimulate the economy during the recession. The next year we had to cut taxes on everybody because the economy was healthy and we had a big booming surplus. Government spending stimulated the economy here and hence we have 3.8% unemployment.

Time and time again it just goes to prove that you get what you pay for. We pay for good government, we get good government. You want good government but don't want to pay for it, you get shitty tar paper shack government.

Well ... FUCK. :mad:

Making stupid and inane statements for the sake of ironic humour is pretty much my main thing here. When politicians come along and say the exact same thing but do it seriously, it seriously undercuts my entire schtick.

Fuck those guys. :mad:

Take a minute, it'll be ok.

And of course the flip side: Minnesota raised taxes on the wealthy to help pay its bills, expand services, and stimulate the economy during the recession. The next year we had to cut taxes on everybody because the economy was healthy and we had a big booming surplus. Government spending stimulated the economy here and hence we have 3.8% unemployment.

Time and time again it just goes to prove that you get what you pay for. We pay for good government, we get good government. You want good government but don't want to pay for it, you get shitty tar paper shack government.

You do not quote Keynes correctly. You're supposed to run deficits to cure recessions. Sounds like Brownback was on the right Keynesey track.

My company was actually thinking of doing business in KS. I argued that another state would be better as KS and the Republicans were scorching the earth with their economic policies.

You do not quote Keynes correctly. You're supposed to run deficits to cure recessions. Sounds like Brownback was on the right Keynesey track.
I was not quoting Kenyes. I was describing reality. Sorry if these facts counter your religion.

Total Taxation = Total Spending

Only a conservative can think that by cutting direct taxes without corresponding spending cuts would work. If you want to cut taxes - really cut taxes - spending has to go down too.

I was not quoting Kenyes. I was describing reality. Sorry if these facts counter your religion.

So you have your own branch of economics wherein you believe Keynes had it wrong about the whole deficit spending is awesome thing?

So you have your own branch of economics wherein you believe Keynes had it wrong about the whole deficit spending is awesome thing?
Please continue on with your fantasy. I did not quote Kenyes. If you do not believe this then you need to point out where I quoted him.

Total Taxation = Total Spending

Only a conservative can think that by cutting direct taxes without corresponding spending cuts would work. If you want to cut taxes - really cut taxes - spending has to go down too.
It should be noted that some taxes that are spent by Government help generate additional revenue, so if you cut some taxes and spending evenly, that doesn't mean you break back even.

Please continue on with your fantasy. I did not quote Kenyes. If you do not believe this then you need to point out where I quoted him.

I said you failed to quote him.

You have either not read the scripture or are some sort of heretic.

Oh in that case: You did not beat your wife correctly. Nor rape your neighbor.

You are a heretic to my perception of what you should be. Don't try to describe actual events outside of my preconceived expectations, stick to the script.

Oh in that case: You did not beat your wife correctly. Nor rape your neighbor.

You are a heretic to my perception of what you should be. Don't try to describe actual events outside of my preconceived expectations, stick to the script.

I was actually pointing out that your economic prescriptions are quite different than Keynes. I do not necessarily agree with Keynes myself, but I am generally among the few.

I find it nice to see all the pro-Keynesians that have converted to being bashers of Ohio's Keynesian approach.

I'm sure it will continue on into other threads.

I'm p sure keynes advocated cutting taxes and increasing spending during downtimes not cutting taxes and cutting spending during downtimes.

Back
Top Bottom