• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kansas was supposed to be the GOP’s tax-cut paradise. Now it can barely pay its bills.

I seem to remember our economy getting gutted by reckless finance corporation policies. It was some attempts at raising spending (which was deficit spending because revenues dropped like a rock) that appeared to help the US economy.

I know a few engineering jobs at my company were saved directly from the Stimulus related to a more aggressive schedule for the national levee inspection program (something that needed to be done anyway in the US in response to the lackluster performance of the New Orleans flood protection systems).

Our last financial meltdown was created when corporations found a scheme to take profits from investments before the profits were actually realized, mortgage backed securities, derivatives, and the lot.

If you want to see a nation ruined by excess spending, look to Greece. Their government is too weak to effectively collect taxes, so tax evasion is the cultural norm. The citizens still demand government services, so the Greek government borrowed money to make up the difference. The Greek's problem was not lack of fiscal restraint, it was trying to satisfy a nation that wants to have cake and eat it, too.
Sounds like the conservatives in the US. They want roads, health care, military, social security, etc... without paying taxes.

Our last financial meltdown was created when corporations found a scheme to take profits from investments before the profits were actually realized, mortgage backed securities, derivatives, and the lot.

If you want to see a nation ruined by excess spending, look to Greece. Their government is too weak to effectively collect taxes, so tax evasion is the cultural norm. The citizens still demand government services, so the Greek government borrowed money to make up the difference. The Greek's problem was not lack of fiscal restraint, it was trying to satisfy a nation that wants to have cake and eat it, too.
Sounds like the conservatives in the US. They want roads, health care, military, social security, etc... without paying taxes.

It's an object lesson of what happens when citizens convince themselves that taxation is a form of theft and they are entitled to the benefits of living in a first world country.

Whenever someone gives me the tired old line about "the people know better how to spend their money, than the government," I ask, "How many traffic lights do you own?"

It's an object lesson of what happens when citizens convince themselves that taxation is a form of theft and they are entitled to the benefits of living in a first world country.

Whenever someone gives me the tired old line about "the people know better how to spend their money, than the government," I ask, "How many traffic lights do you own?"
A republican in the House said he thinks the Federal Government should stop funding roads and let the states do it. Me thinks he isn't aware of how few road jobs these days are done without Federal funds. I also think he doesn't understand that the Federal Government doesn't actually pick and choose which roads get paved. It is actually scary that people like him are in Congress, but don't understand how this stuff works.

So his solution is let the states do it. Bet states like North Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming will love that!

A republican in the House said he thinks the Federal Government should stop funding roads and let the states do it. Me thinks he isn't aware of how few road jobs these days are done without Federal funds. I also think he doesn't understand that the Federal Government doesn't actually pick and choose which roads get paved. It is actually scary that people like him are in Congress, but don't understand how this stuff works.

So his solution is let the states do it. Bet states like North Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming will love that!

There are a few Congressmen whose last science lesson covered how the sun breeds maggots in a dead dog.

Off the top of my head Germany & Zimbabwe.
If you mean Germany after WWI, it was the fiscal austerity imposed by the Allies that really started that mess going.

That was part of it but the collapse was due to the use of the printing press.

Bronzeage pointed out Greece--not destroyed but certainly messed up. I would add to that Brazil.

Wikipedia has various other examples although lacking in much discussion of why they happened.

If you mean Germany after WWI, it was the fiscal austerity imposed by the Allies that really started that mess going.

And the printing press was due to the fiscal austerity imposed by the victors of WWI -it was one of the causal factors.

Bronzeage pointed out Greece--not destroyed but certainly messed up. I would add to that Brazil.

Wikipedia has various other examples although lacking in much discussion of why they happened.

I notice that's not stopping you from just assuming that your conclusions are the reason they happened.

Widespread corruption and mistrust are also large reasons for runaway hyperinflation moreso than government spending a lot.

There are 2 kinds of states in America, the donor states, often blue states, and parasite states usually red states. Donor states send more tax money to Washington than they get back, the parasites take more federal money than they pay in. A lot of these red states in the hookworm belt do not know how to create a strong, effective economy. Without them damned libruls supporting these redneck states, they'd dry up and blow away. I say, when you right winger parasite states can get it right, then come talk to me. And so much for these idiots leaving the US to become a free nation. Without donor state largess they'd soon be third world class failed nations.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/kansas-2014-election-sam-brownback-108952.html?ml=po_r

GOP moderates revolt in Kansas

A moderate GOP uprising is in full swing against Gov. Sam Brownback, the fierce fiscal and social conservative whose policies led to a purge of middle-of-the-road Republicans from the Legislature early in his tenure.

In a rare and surprising act of political defiance on Tuesday, more than 100 Republicans, including current and former officeholders, endorsed Brownback’s opponent, statehouse Democratic leader Paul Davis. Polls show the challenger with a surprisingly strong shot at taking out Brownback in November.

-----

Kansas: "Well, woke up this morning and went to the bathroom and there was a humongous Brownback in the toilet. So I pissed good and hard on it and then flushed. Twice."

Back
Top Bottom