• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kanye West on the ballot - what effect?

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
My knowledge of the US general election is vague but need to know more.

Now that Kayne West is on some states' ballots I am wondering what effect they were have on the final results.

I am assuming that West will not get anywhere Perot's result in '92 or '96.

Will West take voters off either of the 2 candidates or will he get some of those uninclined to vote out to do so?
Would he bleed votes from either candidate? If so who would be affected the most?

It will have no effect. He will get a. handful of votes, from people who don't want to vote for the other two candidates. No worries.

It sounds like West is on the ballot in three states, Oklahoma, Vermont, and Colorado. His impact on the race should be between none to zero.

In at least one state, Kanye West's campaigner submitted a petition for getting on the ballot that had names on it like "Bernie Sanders" and "Mickey Mouse". KW entered the race far too late to be a serious candidate.

In at least one state, Kanye West's campaigner submitted a petition for getting on the ballot that had names on it like "Bernie Sanders" and "Mickey Mouse". KW entered the race far too late to be a serious candidate on more than a handful of ballots.
FIFY.

My knowledge of the US general election is vague but need to know more.

Now that Kayne West is on some states' ballots I am wondering what effect they were have on the final results.

I am assuming that West will not get anywhere Perot's result in '92 or '96.

Will West take voters off either of the 2 candidates or will he get some of those uninclined to vote out to do so?
Would he bleed votes from either candidate? If so who would be affected the most?

It means Mickey Mouse will get a few less votes. West will not get anything like H. Ross Perot. More like Gus Hall, perennial candidate and leader of the Communist Party USA. Or Lyndon LaRouche.

If West does have a tangible effect on the election I think it will hurt Biden more than Trump.

I suspect that West's primary voter block will largely also be composed of people who enjoy his music / his wife's family's TV antics and are also not very engaged with politics. Just using stereotypes to inform us, we can guess that the demographics of West's fans skew a bit toward black potential voters, and the demographics of his wife's fans skew a bit toward female (and possibly minority) potential voters. Both of those demographic groups usually favor the Democratic Party candidate.

Also, I suspect that the photos of West wearing various articles of clothing emblazoned with the confederate battle flag haven't been seen by many of these voters. Likewise, the quotes of him praising Trump and questioning how involuntary slavery was in the antebellum US probably haven't circulated widely into this low information voting bloc.

I think some Republican operatives agree with my analysis which is why some of them have been working to help get West's name onto as many ballots as possible. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/pol...elping-kanye-west-gain-ballot-access/2555030/

Will West actually make a difference? It's possible, but I think it's fairly unlikely.

Opinion | Kanye West can’t win. But that was never the point. - The Washington Post
Kim Kardashian West pleaded last month for “compassion and empathy” amid an outburst of erraticism from her husband, who at his inaugural and so far only campaign rally broke down in tears after dissing Harriet Tubman. The next day, in a Twitter rant, he claimed he was the inspiration for the movie “Get Out.”

Kardashian West said the rapper has bipolar disorder and we ought to “give grace” to individuals struggling psychologically. Instead, the Republican lawyers who have appropriated West’s electoral cause as their own are offering a mixture of enablement and exploitation. Jared Kushner even reportedly met with West recently while the two were traveling in Colorado with their respective wives.
noting
There Is Good Reason for Biden to Fear Kanye's Candidacy - Rolling Stone
First, if the 2020 election is close, the rapper could potentially siphon away enough votes from either of the main contenders and tip the balance to make a difference in swing states and, ultimately, affect the overall outcome. Secondly, is the star’s health, which his wife Kim Kardashian West publicly addressed in late July following the candidate’s first presidential rally in South Carolina—an event that was, by most accounts, rather bizarre.
Election analyst Rachel Bitecofer successfully predicted the 2018 Blue Wave, and she proposes that KW is a potential spoiler.
“The importance of the third party is something I call third party defection,” Bitecofer said. “When you think about Donald Trump, they talk about this narrative that is spun out in the media about him winning [in 2016] over the Midwest, and you had all these states that slipped over to Trump. But really, that’s not mathematically actually what happened.”

Bitecofer then explained what she saw in the data: “It’s true that in Ohio and Iowa, when you look at those states, he did decisively win them. But in other states like Wisconsin, actually, what happened was that there was a significant amount of third party balloting. So votes that went to Gary Johnson, votes that went to the Green Party candidate, but also votes that went to write in, which is very uncommon. And we can’t just see those write-in votes. But my assumption was that a lot of them said Bernie Sanders.”
In effect, what happened is that a lot of Democratic voters voted third-party instead rather than for Hillary Clinton. In fact, it won't need a lot of such voter defections to throw a close race.

RB proposes that KW is being groomed by the Republican Party to be a spoiler candidate. He is a celebrity, just as Trump is, so name recognition isn't much of a problem. More ominously,
How, exactly, might Republicans help Kanye make a difference, other than by getting him on the ballot? By microtargeting young people and Black voters with ads. “They will help advertise his campaign, and they will microtarget demographic groups of young people to get them to write in Kanye West,” Bitecofer said. “They’ll target Black voters. They’ll try to target Biden’s record on the crime bill and say, ‘You should vote for Kanye West.’ … What they’re trying to do here is, is siphon off voters to engage in a voter suppression effort so that they can continue to hold power and use that power to further damage [the Black] community. It makes it particularly insidious, in my opinion.”

He is mentally ill. His wife and friends have openly discussed his bipolar disorder. The Republicans who think having West on the ballot will make a difference are idiots. Trump will win in Oklahoma, with or without Kanye. I think the other two states will go blue with or without Kanye. A few people might vote for him as a protest if they hate the other two candidates, but he's already been kicked off the ballot in some other states as a large number of names on his petitions were fake. Who is going to vote for him? I supposed a tiny number of voters might vote for him as a protest vote, but it's not going to change the outcome of the election.

Back
Top Bottom