• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Karma comes to Trumptown

Even if he isn't being noble about this, the republicans being paralyzed by infighting is exactly what I want to see.

And you'll continue to see it.

One of the reasons given by Trump voters is that he would "run the government like a business." As anyone who works in corporate America can tell you, the leadership at the top sets the tone. The company is a reflection of the values and behavior of the person or people who run the company, and it filters down to the lowest level.

Trump's White House - the corporate office - is a dumpster fire of epic proportions. Sycophants and useful idiots infighting over who gets to polish the CEO's shoes and then watching in horrified glee as the winner gets stabbed in the back by the boss. And Trump isn't just CEO of America, Inc. He's head of GOP Holdings Incorporated, and his toxic management style is going to spread beyond the Executive Branch and seep into the lowest level of his party. I can't wait to see how awful it gets.

The great thing about this is it may finally bury the idea of running the country "Like a business." I certainly hope so...

The basic lesson, obvious from the start, is that businessmen are utterly useless at anything but making money for themselves and utterly incompetent at running countries.

You're going to judge businessmen based on Trump?!! Having declared bankruptcy many times and failed at most going concerns, he's at the bottom of the pile in terms of "businessmen". He inherited a lot of money and ran a successful real estate company. Big woop. Real estate companies are probably the easiest companies to not fail at! He has failed all his companies that required leadership and innovative thinking.

All in all, then, you've got a real prize there! Better lend him to us - he'll be the right man to organise Brexit!

History shows businessmen make bad presidents | TheHill -- 2012 Oct 18
Organized by primary pre-presidential vocation and background, the British list, from most to least successful, considering George W. Bush a business success is: CP (career politician, FDR); CP (Teddy Roosevelt); professor/politician (Wilson); CP (Truman); actor and union organizer (Reagan); Army General (Eisenhower); CP (Johnson); CP (JFK); CP (McKinley); successful businessman/politician (Carter); CP (Clinton); successful businessman/CP (George H. W. Bush); CP (Nixon); CP (Ford); CP (Taft); successful businessman (Hoover); CP (Coolidge); successful businessman (George W. Bush); successful businessman (Harding). The first successful businessman comes in at position 9, Carter. Of the bottom four, three were businessmen.

To check that article, I went to  Historical rankings of presidents of the United States. For the post-1900 presidents, I get this averaged-out order:
  1. Franklin D. Roosevelt -- CP (Career Politician)
  2. Theodore Roosevelt -- CP
  3. Harry S. Truman -- CP
  4. Woodrow Wilson -- Professor, Politician
  5. Dwight D. Eisenhower -- Military Commander
  6. John F. Kennedy -- CP
  7. Lyndon B. Johnson -- CP
  8. Barack Obama -- Lawyer, Professor, Politician
  9. Ronald Reagan -- Actor, Union Leader
  10. William McKinley -- CP
  11. Bill Clinton -- CP
  12. George H. W. Bush -- Businessman, CP
  13. William Howard Taft -- CP
  14. Gerald R. Ford -- CP
  15. Jimmy Carter -- Businessman, CP
  16. Calvin Coolidge -- CP
  17. Richard M. Nixon -- CP
  18. Herbert Hoover -- Businessman
  19. George W. Bush -- Businessman, Politician
  20. Warren G. Harding -- Businessman
So being a business leader is not a very good qualification for the Presidency.

This has relevance to our current President, someone who claimed that his business experience would be a good qualification for the Presidency. But judging from his presidency so far, he's likely to go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever -- a president comparable to the other businessman presidents.

The basic lesson, obvious from the start, is that businessmen are utterly useless at anything but making money for themselves and utterly incompetent at running countries.

You're going to judge businessmen based on Trump?!! Having declared bankruptcy many times and failed at most going concerns, he's at the bottom of the pile in terms of "businessmen". He inherited a lot of money and ran a successful real estate company. Big woop. Real estate companies are probably the easiest companies to not fail at! He has failed all his companies that required leadership and innovative thinking.

Any business driven solely by the unbridled greed of its ownership is destined to fail, and/or suffer the repercussions of illegal conduct at some point.

Wilson gets fourth? Fuck that list.

Wilson needlessly humiliated the black employees in the federal work force (the few that there were) by insisting on a reinstatement of segregated bathrooms in federal workplaces. His racial views were typical of many whites of his class and background -- but mandating Jim Crow was not something he had to do -- and as far as I know, the decision came from him.
His stiff-necked handling of the League of Nations debate ensured that the isolationist crowd would predominate for another 20 years. I can't believe he's a highly respected President...

quite. There's also the issue of how he kept his serious health issues a secret rather than resigning, but he's hardly the only president who's done that. But it was his racist views that marred everything he tried to do. Foreign and domestic.

I'd put him somewhere south of Taft. Taft is underrated, though he was a better Chief Justice than a President.

Organized by primary pre-presidential vocation and background, the British list, from most to least successful, considering George W. Bush a business success is: CP (career politician, FDR); CP (Teddy Roosevelt); professor/politician (Wilson); CP (Truman); actor and union organizer (Reagan); Army General (Eisenhower); CP (Johnson); CP (JFK); CP (McKinley); successful businessman/politician (Carter); CP (Clinton); successful businessman/CP (George H. W. Bush); CP (Nixon); CP (Ford); CP (Taft); successful businessman (Hoover); CP (Coolidge); successful businessman (George W. Bush); successful businessman (Harding). The first successful businessman comes in at position 9, Carter. Of the bottom four, three were businessmen.

To check that article, I went to  Historical rankings of presidents of the United States. For the post-1900 presidents, I get this averaged-out order:
  3. Harry S. Truman -- CP
  6. John F. Kennedy -- CP
  11. Bill Clinton -- CP
  14. Gerald R. Ford -- CP

This has relevance to our current President, someone who claimed that his business experience would be a good qualification for the Presidency. But judging from his presidency so far, he's likely to go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever -- a president comparable to the other businessman presidents.
Not going to check through this entire list here, but it conveniently left out Reagan's two terms as governor.

I'm sure he showed none, but I wonder how much personal satisfaction McCain took in putting the dagger in SCROTUS's promise to repeal the ACA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...-banner:homepage/story&utm_term=.7f8a2a449fc7

Pence was probably poised to place the historic tie-breaking vote; fuck you too, Mike.

I guess this means the USA is going to declare war against Arizona.

No, Trump is too clever. He will ask Mexico to pay for a beautiful wall around it and for China to stop all trade with Arizona.

And maybe he will nominate and then dismiss a series of special prosecutors to look into McCain's time as prisoner of Hanoi in the Vietnam War.

And he could also ask Pyongyang to send one of their two rockets in the broad direction of Phoenix just as a gesture of good will to calm the current diplomatic spat with NK.
EB

3. Harry S. Truman -- CP
  6. John F. Kennedy -- CP
  11. Bill Clinton -- CP
  14. Gerald R. Ford -- CP

Not going to check through this entire list here, but it conveniently left out Reagan's two terms as governor.
Yeah, but he wasn't a career politician.

3. Harry S. Truman -- CP
  6. John F. Kennedy -- CP
  11. Bill Clinton -- CP
  14. Gerald R. Ford -- CP

The list shows their primary profession before the presidency. Raygun was mostly an actor, not a politician.

The list shows their primary profession before the presidency. Raygun was mostly an actor, not a politician.
They understood Obama's political history, even while the right-wing sorely attempted to dismiss it, and they also figured in Bush's two terms, so I do not see that as much different from Reagan.

Back
Top Bottom